F2 2020 and A2A Simulations

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
ImpendingJoker
Staff Sergeant

Re: F2 2020 and A2A Simulations

Post by ImpendingJoker »

lonewulf47 wrote: 05 Aug 2020, 07:12
HE11DUDE04 wrote: 04 Aug 2020, 09:15 There could be hope with the P3D V4/5 installers but it's probably not gonna work which is a shame as I'd love to take my P 51 and soon to be back B 17 for a flight in the new sim.
Nope, the data structure of MSF is completely different. Remember, it's basically an XBox application.
You have that backwards. They've always said that it was meant for the PC market and that is would become available for the Xbox One/Series S/X afterwards. So, no, it's not an Xbox app at all but it ~is very much a Windows 10 app, and because of that and it being true 64bit out of the box the install architecture is very different but, there is also a lot of stuff that is the same as well but, well, to be honest, I don't really need nor want the old stable of A2A addons brought forward. I am tired of people asking to be allowed to put wagon wheels on a Lamborghini. Give me the Aerostar, it will be made for the sim from the outset, and as we all know, if it just "ported over" it will lose what made it quality. A2A shines because they are the best in the current market, and if they just port everything over, well, it will pretty much be a lazy way to make a buck(loss of respect), and those items will pretty much stick out like sore thumbs that they were not made for MSFS from the outset(think of all the FS8 to FSX ports). So to prevent that it would mean an almost complete reworking of the models and textures, which would more than likely mean that they would charge for them again like they did from P3Dv3 to P3Dv4-5, and even then people complained that they had to pay for they same airplanes again. Now you are asking for that very same cycle to repeat itself. No thanks, it's getting old.
Paul

Part 65 certified Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic
Part 107 certified Remote Pilot in Command
Part 147 Instructor

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Rioku wrote: 20 Oct 2020, 17:39 Would be so cool an update of how´s going development of planes, to make us easier the waiting of Aerostar600 and future planes.

Please take care of us :a2awhite:
Agreed an update would be great, but I'd also love to see one of Scott's videos on how his Aerostar is progressing. Is it flying now?

Cheers,
Michael
ImageImageImageImage

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

ImpendingJoker wrote: 20 Oct 2020, 23:14 to be honest, I don't really need nor want the old stable of A2A addons brought forward. I am tired of people asking to be allowed to put wagon wheels on a Lamborghini. Give me the Aerostar, it will be made for the sim from the outset, and as we all know, if it just "ported over" it will lose what made it quality. A2A shines because they are the best in the current market, and if they just port everything over, well, it will pretty much be a lazy way to make a buck(loss of respect), and those items will pretty much stick out like sore thumbs that they were not made for MSFS from the outset(think of all the FS8 to FSX ports). So to prevent that it would mean an almost complete reworking of the models and textures, which would more than likely mean that they would charge for them again like they did from P3Dv3 to P3Dv4-5, and even then people complained that they had to pay for they same airplanes again. Now you are asking for that very same cycle to repeat itself. No thanks, it's getting old.
Two things to consider here:
1. A2A would never release sub par models. If the thing doesn't look right or doesn't fly right, it will never be released. So if A2A do decide to port their old planes to FS2020, then you can be sure that no compromise has been made.
2. A2A models and textures are comparable to FS2020 expected quality. Textures already have PBR support. From a "does it look good enough for FS2020" point of view, i think the answer is "yes". Of course, that doesn't mean that porting them is an easy or straightforward thing to do.

My guess is that, right now, A2A are waiting for Asobo to develop the SDK further. Perhaps they may even be in talks with them, like PMDG are. I would guess that the current SDK doesn't have all the functionality they need to achieve their high standards, but that the potential is there. Hence why we haven't heard anything about it yet. There is nothing else we can do but wait.

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

I wouldn't be sad if they released the aerostar for P3D first, then FS2020 :wink:

danmand
Airman

Post by danmand »

The frustrating thing for me is deciding each flight "Do I want to fly with a beautiful aircraft or beautiful scenery and weather?" Boy I'm spoiled!

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

danmand wrote: 21 Oct 2020, 09:34 The frustrating thing for me is deciding each flight "Do I want to fly with a beautiful aircraft or beautiful scenery and weather?" Boy I'm spoiled!
I've uninstalled MS2020 after having made this decision. v5 actually looks pretty good.

ballistx
Airman

Post by ballistx »

I uninstalled FS2020 also. Ended up uninstalling everything because FS2020 screwed up FSX to the point it was unusable. Even had to uninstall Steam. Fortunately I was able to retain the setups and all of the A2A planes. Was also able to get a refund from Steam for the FS2020. So, I am just out the $200 spent on an upgraded video card for FS2020. That video card does not work right with FSX. I could not get the cockpit view to work right. It was either way too slow or jerked to the point where you couldn't use the hat switch for cockpit view. Went back to the old NVIDIA GTX 670 and it works just fine. Anybody need a Gigabyte GTX 1060 card?

Hopefully, A2A will port their planes over and then we will have the best of both worlds. For now, I will stick with the marginal scenery and realistic planes. Besides, the scenery might be more realistic in general view but it is NOT accurate. I flew over a couple of sites I know in South Dakota and they were somewhat recreations but not close to accurate.

The planes in FS2020 were not realistic at all and bounced so much you could not control any of the dash controls. At least on my setup they did. Also could not control the plane to the runway (yes runway and not center line). It would drift off in one direction. The pedals would have no effect until you over applied them. Then the plane would dip and jerk the opposite direction all the way across the runway in the other direction. Brakes were basically the same situation. Possibly could have been corrected but something that never came up in any way with FSX.

Raven214
Airman

Post by Raven214 »

ballistx wrote: 21 Oct 2020, 18:04 I uninstalled FS2020 also. Ended up uninstalling everything because FS2020 screwed up FSX to the point it was unusable. Even had to uninstall Steam. Fortunately I was able to retain the setups and all of the A2A planes. Was also able to get a refund from Steam for the FS2020. So, I am just out the $200 spent on an upgraded video card for FS2020. That video card does not work right with FSX. I could not get the cockpit view to work right. It was either way too slow or jerked to the point where you couldn't use the hat switch for cockpit view. Went back to the old NVIDIA GTX 670 and it works just fine. Anybody need a Gigabyte GTX 1060 card?

Hopefully, A2A will port their planes over and then we will have the best of both worlds. For now, I will stick with the marginal scenery and realistic planes. Besides, the scenery might be more realistic in general view but it is NOT accurate. I flew over a couple of sites I know in South Dakota and they were somewhat recreations but not close to accurate.

The planes in FS2020 were not realistic at all and bounced so much you could not control any of the dash controls. At least on my setup they did. Also could not control the plane to the runway (yes runway and not center line). It would drift off in one direction. The pedals would have no effect until you over applied them. Then the plane would dip and jerk the opposite direction all the way across the runway in the other direction. Brakes were basically the same situation. Possibly could have been corrected but something that never came up in any way with FSX.
Sounds like you didn't have photo-scenery turned on in your network settings. I've read that with it off, the terrain basically looks like FSX or "FSX+". I can fly around my small town, find my street and house, and follow the highway up to my local airport. Now, without photogrammetry the specific height/color/layout of the buildings may be a little off - I liken it to a parallel universe - but the placement and basic footprint is all there.

As for the handling, the rudder is crazy-sensitive out of the box and I'm not sure how it got through development like that, but there is a setting to adjust it. I've been playing around with it and I've gotten it much better though it is still a bit strong in certain situations.

The aircraft interiors/exteriors are amazing as well as the lighting/atmosphere/weather, and it really draws you into the experience. There are bugs, but in general things are getting better with each patch - I feel the game was released early, basically in an open-beta state, as is the case with more and more games these days unfortunately. I can't wait for more features to be implemented and the SDK to be improved enough for study level planes.
ImageImageImage

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

It really is surprising to me how polarized everyone is these days about almost any topic. It seems that FS2020 isn't safe from this. I've heard everything from poor performance to stellar performance. From very poor graphics to outstanding graphics. From unrealistic to very realistic. The truth is somewhere in the middle, yes. All i know is what i experienced, so it is very perplexing to hear people with better hardware than myself have issues that i have never seen, or complain about poor quality when for me it has been brilliant. Maybe FS2020 just doesn't work well on some configurations? Could be. Or maybe people expect the worse, are met with something less than good, and are not willing to spend the 5 minutes needed to set everything up because they're used to their sim working just the way they want it after 10+ years of constant tweaks. I don't know, you be the judge.

jsbrewster1
Senior Airman

Post by jsbrewster1 »

cristi.neagu wrote: 22 Oct 2020, 08:32 It really is surprising to me how polarized everyone is these days about almost any topic. It seems that FS2020 isn't safe from this. I've heard everything from poor performance to stellar performance. From very poor graphics to outstanding graphics. From unrealistic to very realistic. The truth is somewhere in the middle, yes. All i know is what i experienced, so it is very perplexing to hear people with better hardware than myself have issues that i have never seen, or complain about poor quality when for me it has been brilliant. Maybe FS2020 just doesn't work well on some configurations? Could be. Or maybe people expect the worse, are met with something less than good, and are not willing to spend the 5 minutes needed to set everything up because they're used to their sim working just the way they want it after 10+ years of constant tweaks. I don't know, you be the judge.
I agree completely. Is the new FS2020 perfect, no, but does it have the makings of the next great flight sim, yes. If you want old old old clunky, twitchy FSX until it's perfect, be my guest, but I'm very happy with the new sim in its current state, and will be even happier when A2A releases some GA aircraft for it.
Jeff Brewster
KC-135 Navigator
US Air Force (retired)
"...and miles to go before I sleep..." - RF

pilot37
Senior Airman

Post by pilot37 »

jsbrewster1 wrote: 22 Oct 2020, 11:36
cristi.neagu wrote: 22 Oct 2020, 08:32 It really is surprising to me how polarized everyone is these days about almost any topic. It seems that FS2020 isn't safe from this. I've heard everything from poor performance to stellar performance. From very poor graphics to outstanding graphics. From unrealistic to very realistic. The truth is somewhere in the middle, yes. All i know is what i experienced, so it is very perplexing to hear people with better hardware than myself have issues that i have never seen, or complain about poor quality when for me it has been brilliant. Maybe FS2020 just doesn't work well on some configurations? Could be. Or maybe people expect the worse, are met with something less than good, and are not willing to spend the 5 minutes needed to set everything up because they're used to their sim working just the way they want it after 10+ years of constant tweaks. I don't know, you be the judge.
I agree completely. Is the new FS2020 perfect, no, but does it have the makings of the next great flight sim, yes. If you want old old old clunky, twitchy FSX until it's perfect, be my guest, but I'm very happy with the new sim in its current state, and will be even happier when A2A releases some GA aircraft for it.
And even if A2A don't it is still a more immersive experience. It is also easy to download loads of modifies airports saving you from overspending on payware. It also gives way more on the same PC set-up than P3D. I suspect that most of the resistance is caused by the huge investments some of us (me included) spent on P3D payware. Even the stock aircraft are more fun to fly than P3D payware. The thing A2A can add is the in-depth systems and engine care. Nice when it comes but past caring.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

The key word to consider when dealing with the new Microsoft sim is "potential". The program can be likened to a new born only born around age 12. It's going into the "growing period" now and can only get better as things are discovered and improved.
I'm using P3D v.5 at this point with MSFS2020 in the future simply "waiting" for the right time. For me anyway, dealing with two sims is a hassle so I've made a logical choice for me personally. As others have said before me, A2A represents the finest in aircraft available to the market. I have our planes in P3D along with Orbx scenery and all is well in Dudley land. The future will be what the future will reveal !
Dudley Henriques

ballistx
Airman

Post by ballistx »

But it is a shame that you cannot have both FSX-SE & FS2020 installed on the same machine. At least that has been my experience. Even after uninstalling FSX-SE, FS2020 & Steam and reinstalling Steam and FSX-SE my FSX-SE is still messed up. So, you cannot even load FS2020 without basically giving up running FSX-SE again.

I cannot end a flight, go back to the home screen and switch planes once I have selected "fly now" with an A2A plane.

Once I decide to install FS2020 on the machine I have to give up FSX-SE totally or live without being able to change planes within the program. When I had both installed I lost mixture and other functions on the A2A plane in FSX-SE. At least I have full functionality back, apparently, but I still cannot change planes without totally closing FSX-SE and a restarting it. If I try the program does it for me.

I am pretty certain that this is an issue that will have to be resolved by A2A since it only affects A2A airplanes. I think it would be to A2A's benefit and hope they address the issue. I would certainly be willing to provide any small support I might be able to.

It would also be good to know if I am the only one with the problem.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

ballistx wrote: 24 Oct 2020, 10:13 But it is a shame that you cannot have both FSX-SE & FS2020 installed on the same machine. At least that has been my experience. Even after uninstalling FSX-SE, FS2020 & Steam and reinstalling Steam and FSX-SE my FSX-SE is still messed up. So, you cannot even load FS2020 without basically giving up running FSX-SE again.

I cannot end a flight, go back to the home screen and switch planes once I have selected "fly now" with an A2A plane.

Once I decide to install FS2020 on the machine I have to give up FSX-SE totally or live without being able to change planes within the program. When I had both installed I lost mixture and other functions on the A2A plane in FSX-SE. At least I have full functionality back, apparently, but I still cannot change planes without totally closing FSX-SE and a restarting it. If I try the program does it for me.

I am pretty certain that this is an issue that will have to be resolved by A2A since it only affects A2A airplanes. I think it would be to A2A's benefit and hope they address the issue. I would certainly be willing to provide any small support I might be able to.

Just to point out that you can of course have FSX, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, P3Dv5, FS2020, IL-2, DCS etc etc all installed just fine together. Whatever happened to your system was not due to having multiple platforms installed. The platforms are entirely separate.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

ImpendingJoker
Staff Sergeant

Post by ImpendingJoker »

Lewis - A2A wrote: 25 Oct 2020, 10:08
ballistx wrote: 24 Oct 2020, 10:13 But it is a shame that you cannot have both FSX-SE & FS2020 installed on the same machine. At least that has been my experience. Even after uninstalling FSX-SE, FS2020 & Steam and reinstalling Steam and FSX-SE my FSX-SE is still messed up. So, you cannot even load FS2020 without basically giving up running FSX-SE again.

Just to point out that you can of course have FSX, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, P3Dv5, FS2020, IL-2, DCS etc etc all installed just fine together. Whatever happened to your system was not due to having multiple platforms installed. The platforms are entirely separate.

thanks,
Lewis
Agreed. I have just recently reinstalled MSFS onto my system. One of the previous updates conflicted with a Windows update leaving me unable to access the Premium Deluxe content that I paid for, and some added scenery that I purchased for Florida, and Illinois. They posted a reply on their forums on how to correct this issue, and well, after doing what they suggested, I got my sim back up and running, and it's running better now after they optimized some of the code and settings. As for the scenery, I can tell you this, if I can see the gazebo that my dad built in the backyard of my parents home, and you think that MSFS looks like FSX...you are doing something wrong. As was pointed out, make sure you have photogrammetry turned on in your settings. I can fly the roads right to my house, or the train tracks, or the creeks and rivers that are nearby, and after seeing how they reworked Japan, I can never go back to P3D or FSX. While P3Dv5 maybe 64 and have PBR, it has no where near the potential of MSFS, and going back to FSX:SE? That is like going back to soapbox racers after driving Formula 1. I currently have several sims installed on my system, DCS:World, IL-2 Great Battles, and MSFS. Not even Flight Sim World can compare to MSFS and that was a serious attempt to make FSX into a more modern consumer level simulator, and it was a total failure. Microsoft has gone all in on MSFS, and not supporting it would be detrimental to the genere, and I am not saying that as a MSFS fan boy, it has it bugs to be sure and I freely admit that but, FSX NEVER got rid of all its bugs in 14 YEARS, and P3D still has a lot of those to this day, so all this whining about what the sim is like just 2 months in are just fools wearing blinders, that don't remember how bad FSX was right out of the box, and was really only "Good" after the Gold Expansion came out for it. And yes, I have seen P3Dv5, I have flown XPlane 11, and I owned the version of AeroFly, so I know the capabilities and limitations of each, and acknowledge all in equal measure.

Oh, on a side note, for those of you lucky enough to have them like I do, Logitech has made a plug-in for the Saitek panels. I have gotten the Multi-Panel and the Switch Panel to work pretty well, still can't get the radio panel to work but, I think it's because I have a garbage USB hub.
Paul

Part 65 certified Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic
Part 107 certified Remote Pilot in Command
Part 147 Instructor

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”