F2 2020 and A2A Simulations

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: F2 2020 and A2A Simulations

Post by Dogsbody55 »

jeepinforfun wrote: 03 Dec 2020, 15:32
Once downloaded yes you will only see the Standard version but if you look into you Content manager while in the Sim you will see all the Premium content still needing download. One just needs to scan down through the content list to find the Premium content and just click to start download.

I also noted that when you need to update to a new version it will send you to the Microsoft App Store which only shows the original Sim and one needs to look all the way to the upper right corner to the 'More' dots and there you will see the Upgrade option. All other updates are done in sim.

I really like the sim put I agree they make everything confusing right from the start and it took a lot of guessing on what to do next.

I think the naysayers don't seem to remember that the default FSX was no pearl either but in MSFS I can hop into the C172 and fly by the world VFR map like a charm. As much as I like A2A products I still like to fly anything to get in the air and get my flight on.
I've looked in Content Manager quite a lot, after I try some of the fixes. It insists in showing everything listed as up to date. All 88 items, which I think is not enough items for the Premium Deluxe version I bought. This really is still an alpha version many months shy of public release in terms of it's user friendliness. But I agree that FSX was the veritable dogs breakfast when it was released. I bought it then, tried it for some months, then deleted it and went back to FS9 for another six years until I found A2A products and tried again.

So last night I tried the old delete and reinstall trick. What delete?? The delete process just leaves the game unaccessable and not recognised on your machine, but almost all the files are still there clogging up you drives. I'm going to have to manually find all the files and delete them manually.

And no, that trick didn't work either. As expected.

Cheers, (and I'm going to need a drink after this!!)
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Did a bit more research into my problems with MSFS Premium Deluxe last night. When I went into my store account I read that "This product does not support Korean, Vietnamese, Thai or Indonesian Localisation". I did see this when I bought the sim, but I live in Australia and although I'm in the same time zone as Bangkok, I thought that this warning didn't apply to me. But now I'm wondering if they mean time zone when they say "localisation".

So I tried setting my computer to New Zealand time zone, deleting, rebooting and reinstalling, but with no luck. This could still be the issue, though. Anyone else here on the west coast of Aus bought this sim? I admit I'm getting to the clutching at straws point.

There's some irony here in that the sim depicts the world geography, yet may not seem to understand the difference Thailand and Australia.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

I've not been able to find a successful solution to the problems I've been having with the PD version of MSFS, so I've submitted a refund request.

Assuming I do get my money back soon, I'll have a rethink on this. I'm still keen to go to the new sim, but may delay my purchase a while.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

jsbrewster1
Senior Airman

Post by jsbrewster1 »

Dogsbody55 wrote: 09 Dec 2020, 21:27 I've not been able to find a successful solution to the problems I've been having with the PD version of MSFS, so I've submitted a refund request.

Assuming I do get my money back soon, I'll have a rethink on this. I'm still keen to go to the new sim, but may delay my purchase a while.

Cheers,
Mike
Do you have the option to get the Steam version? I'm not having any issues with mine, other than icing, which is across the board, but the sim itself is solid as a rock for me.
Jeff Brewster
KC-135 Navigator
US Air Force (retired)
"...and miles to go before I sleep..." - RF

joespeed52
Senior Airman

Post by joespeed52 »

Bummer with no news of the Aerostar coming to FSX.

And please do not start with the "FSX is a 14 year old platform, outdated, hard to develop for, etc." It's all that some of us can afford. I'm not as hardcore into FS as I used to be, 2015-2019, but I've always dreamed of having the Aerostar in FSX. Too bad...
Comanche, 172, 182, PA-28, Civ/Mil Mustang, T-6, COTS L049, P-40, Spitfire, V35, and Mighty B-17.
2000+ Hours FSX:SE

addman
Staff Sergeant

Post by addman »

I just hope it comes out on ANY platform considering that P3D seems to lose both third-party developer and user support. In the meantime, whilst FS2020 is very impressive, FS2020 doesn't even have complete SDK yet and there's no guarantee that developers will get the same level of access to data input/output which they had with simconnect on FSX and P3D. Who knows, maybe A2A dumps both P3D and FS2020 and release it on good old FSX! :D I mean, who doesn't want to go back to this:Image

Seriously though, for me the most important things in simming are the physics and mechanics of things. I'd rather only have FSX, warts and all, with all my accu-sim planes than that beautiful, shiny sim that is FS2020 with only basic-level aircraft to fly in.
Cheers!/Andreas

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

jsbrewster1 wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 03:35
Dogsbody55 wrote: 09 Dec 2020, 21:27 I've not been able to find a successful solution to the problems I've been having with the PD version of MSFS, so I've submitted a refund request.

Cheers,
Mike
Do you have the option to get the Steam version? I'm not having any issues with mine, other than icing, which is across the board, but the sim itself is solid as a rock for me.

I did indeed get my money back, and fairly quickly too. At this moment though, I'm still debating whether to get the Steam version if I can or just go with the standard version. I may wait until after the December update. Has anyone else on this forum who lives in Australia successfully run the premium deluxe version of MSFS??

I have to say that MSFS does run well on my 2 year old PC with it's "ancient" GTX1080 8GB card, with all settings on high. I was flying up Lombard St in San Francisco below roof top height in one of the sporty planes and the sim was as smooth as butter. Can't do that in FSX or P3D with that level of detail and have it run in jerks above 10FPS.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

jsbrewster1
Senior Airman

Post by jsbrewster1 »

Dogsbody55 wrote: 16 Dec 2020, 23:58
jsbrewster1 wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 03:35

Cheers,
Mike

I did indeed get my money back, and fairly quickly too. At this moment though, I'm still debating whether to get the Steam version if I can or just go with the standard version. I may wait until after the December update. Has anyone else on this forum who lives in Australia successfully run the premium deluxe version of MSFS??

I have to say that MSFS does run well on my 2 year old PC with it's "ancient" GTX1080 8GB card, with all settings on high. I was flying up Lombard St in San Francisco below roof top height in one of the sporty planes and the sim was as smooth as butter. Can't do that in FSX or P3D with that level of detail and have it run in jerks above 10FPS.

Cheers,
Mike
You can get any of the levels with Steam, I just think trying to go through the MS store is part of your issue, at least from your description.
Jeff Brewster
KC-135 Navigator
US Air Force (retired)

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

jsbrewster1 wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 15:48

You can get any of the levels with Steam, I just think trying to go through the MS store is part of your issue, at least from your description.
You may well be right, Jeff. We'll see later, maybe next week.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

So on Wednesday, I decided to have a go at purchasing MSFS again. As I was looking at the MS store again thinking I'll buy the standard version as I know that works, at which point I had a wee melt down and bought the Premium Deluxe version again. :shock: I started the download at about 11pm, watched it for a while as I also worked on my latest modelling project until it got to the download/install stage, then went to bed. At 26Mbps, it's going to take a while.

When I got up the next morning, it had installed but I had to download the extra packages. Finally, about 1pm yesterday, it was all installed, and by that I mean the entire Premium Deluxe package. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D

Don't ask me why it didn't install the entire package a month ago yet it did this time, as I did exactly the same as before. That's computers for you. :roll:

So I'm a happy camper at last. Now roll on the first A2A plane for MSFS.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

So after about five hours now on MSFS and the gloss wearing off, I have a couple of observations about this sim.

On my two year old system, with a now ancient GTX1080 video card, 32GB RAM and a decent mother board and I7 CPU, the sim runs very well with everything on high settings and is very smooth indeed. I can fly down Broadway in New York at street level and there's not the faintest jitter, which can't be said for P3DV4.5. The scenery is great and will improve a lot once I've added the two world updates. Control set up is complex and takes some time to tweak, which I'm still doing, and will improve the experience of the stock planes.

However, that brings me on to said planes and the flight modelling. Unfortunately, most of the planes have woeful flight characteristics, with only the C172 and C152 being acceptable. Some of the other planes are OK as they're not that fast but it's way to easy to register a crash due to supposed over-stressing the plane. That said, the A5 and Cubs are a bit of fun. But in general, the flight dynamics have to be poor if a Carenado product is the best plane in your sim. I bought their Piper Seminole in a sale and it's not bad at all despite their usual standards in terms of flight modelling. It has become my usual plane and I may also get the Piaggio P-149 that has just been released as my go to single. That will be it for payware planes until A2A release something for MSFS. Last night, I did a cross channel flight from Le Bourget to Dunsfold in MSFS in the TBM and I can't say I really enjoyed the experience, smooth running sim and great scenery aside. Then I did a short flight in P3DV4 in the A2A Cherokee, and the flight experience was like the difference between night and day. The Cherokee, like all A2A products, is such a great flying experience and the biggest reason as to why I will keep P3D on my system for the foreseeable future. If simming is about flying rather than gaming, then P3D and FSX are still presently unbeatable, but I expect that this time next year, I may well not have the same opinion. MSFS is definitely the future, but that future is not quite here yet. Rather like electric cars :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .

Asobo also need to fix some of the silly bugs in the sim too. One such silly bug that had me laughing is in the ATC system. Bear in mind that Asobo is a French company you'd think they'd pay more attention to pronunciation in the ATC speech, even in English language ATC. While talking to Le Bourget traffic at that airport, apparently I was at an airport called L E Borgett???? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Seriously?????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

jsbrewster1
Senior Airman

Post by jsbrewster1 »

Dogsbody55 wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 23:46 So after about five hours now on MSFS and the gloss wearing off, I have a couple of observations about this sim.

On my two year old system, with a now ancient GTX1080 video card, 32GB RAM and a decent mother board and I7 CPU, the sim runs very well with everything on high settings and is very smooth indeed. I can fly down Broadway in New York at street level and there's not the faintest jitter, which can't be said for P3DV4.5. The scenery is great and will improve a lot once I've added the two world updates. Control set up is complex and takes some time to tweak, which I'm still doing, and will improve the experience of the stock planes.

However, that brings me on to said planes and the flight modelling. Unfortunately, most of the planes have woeful flight characteristics, with only the C172 and C152 being acceptable. Some of the other planes are OK as they're not that fast but it's way to easy to register a crash due to supposed over-stressing the plane. That said, the A5 and Cubs are a bit of fun. But in general, the flight dynamics have to be poor if a Carenado product is the best plane in your sim. I bought their Piper Seminole in a sale and it's not bad at all despite their usual standards in terms of flight modelling. It has become my usual plane and I may also get the Piaggio P-149 that has just been released as my go to single. That will be it for payware planes until A2A release something for MSFS. Last night, I did a cross channel flight from Le Bourget to Dunsfold in MSFS in the TBM and I can't say I really enjoyed the experience, smooth running sim and great scenery aside. Then I did a short flight in P3DV4 in the A2A Cherokee, and the flight experience was like the difference between night and day. The Cherokee, like all A2A products, is such a great flying experience and the biggest reason as to why I will keep P3D on my system for the foreseeable future. If simming is about flying rather than gaming, then P3D and FSX are still presently unbeatable, but I expect that this time next year, I may well not have the same opinion. MSFS is definitely the future, but that future is not quite here yet. Rather like electric cars :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .

Asobo also need to fix some of the silly bugs in the sim too. One such silly bug that had me laughing is in the ATC system. Bear in mind that Asobo is a French company you'd think they'd pay more attention to pronunciation in the ATC speech, even in English language ATC. While talking to Le Bourget traffic at that airport, apparently I was at an airport called L E Borgett???? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Seriously?????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers,
Mike
I know what you are saying about MSFS, but I can't bring myself to try to load all the various scenery, ATC, flight controls, weather, and every add-on that goes into making a 20 year old engine work, sometimes. I had very bad experiences with FSX, Prepar3d and X-Plane. I'll muddle along with MSFS and it's okay 172, semi-steam edition (not the G1000) until A2A comes out with a product, then (probably) use that until they release the 172.
Jeff Brewster
KC-135 Navigator
US Air Force (retired)

Snoober
Airman

Post by Snoober »

Dogsbody55 wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 23:46 However, that brings me on to said planes and the flight modelling. Unfortunately, most of the planes have woeful flight characteristics, with only the C172 and C152 being acceptable. Some of the other planes are OK as they're not that fast but it's way to easy to register a crash due to supposed over-stressing the plane. That said, the A5 and Cubs are a bit of fun. But in general, the flight dynamics have to be poor if a Carenado product is the best plane in your sim. I bought their Piper Seminole in a sale and it's not bad at all despite their usual standards in terms of flight modelling. It has become my usual plane and I may also get the Piaggio P-149 that has just been released as my go to single. That will be it for payware planes until A2A release something for MSFS. Last night, I did a cross channel flight from Le Bourget to Dunsfold in MSFS in the TBM and I can't say I really enjoyed the experience, smooth running sim and great scenery aside. Then I did a short flight in P3DV4 in the A2A Cherokee, and the flight experience was like the difference between night and day. The Cherokee, like all A2A products, is such a great flying experience and the biggest reason as to why I will keep P3D on my system for the foreseeable future. If simming is about flying rather than gaming, then P3D and FSX are still presently unbeatable, but I expect that this time next year, I may well not have the same opinion. MSFS is definitely the future, but that future is not quite here yet. Rather like electric cars :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .
There are a few free Addons that I really am enjoying that fix a lot of issues and make MSFS2020 much more enjoyable:

First 2 bush planes from GotGravel. The Savage Carbon https://flightsim.to/file/3723/savage-c ... ealism-mod and Savage Grravel https://flightsim.to/file/5061/savage-g ... -the-skies

Next, the Bonanza G36 improvement mod on github: https://github.com/TheFrett/msfs_g36_project as well as on flightsim.to (I like this site as it keeps track of new updates for you) https://flightsim.to/file/1056/g36-improvement-project

Last, a mod to the default XCub from Bush League Legends: https://www.bushleaguelegends.com/ They also have a bunch of free amazing scenery (small airstrips/airports centered around bush flying).

Read the install instructions/readmes as some of the mods require the G1000 mod and GX mod from this repository: https://github.com/Working-Title-MSFS-Mods/fspackages
FSX Aircraft:
  • Cessna 182 Skylane
  • Piper Comanche 250
  • Beechcraft Bonanza V-tail
  • Curtiss P-40 Warhawk
  • North American P-51 Mustang
  • North American P-51 Civilian Mustang
  • Piper J-3 Cub

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Snoober wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 07:27
There are a few free Addons that I really am enjoying that fix a lot of issues and make MSFS2020 much more enjoyable:

First 2 bush planes from GotGravel. The Savage Carbon https://flightsim.to/file/3723/savage-c ... ealism-mod and Savage Grravel https://flightsim.to/file/5061/savage-g ... -the-skies

Next, the Bonanza G36 improvement mod on github: https://github.com/TheFrett/msfs_g36_project as well as on flightsim.to (I like this site as it keeps track of new updates for you) https://flightsim.to/file/1056/g36-improvement-project

Last, a mod to the default XCub from Bush League Legends: https://www.bushleaguelegends.com/ They also have a bunch of free amazing scenery (small airstrips/airports centered around bush flying).

Read the install instructions/readmes as some of the mods require the G1000 mod and GX mod from this repository: https://github.com/Working-Title-MSFS-Mods/fspackages

Thanks. I'm aware of most of those, except the Bush League Legends) as I've been checking out the sim and it's addons since it launched.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

jsbrewster1 wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 01:56
I know what you are saying about MSFS, but I can't bring myself to try to load all the various scenery, ATC, flight controls, weather, and every add-on that goes into making a 20 year old engine work, sometimes. I had very bad experiences with FSX, Prepar3d and X-Plane. I'll muddle along with MSFS and it's okay 172, semi-steam edition (not the G1000) until A2A comes out with a product, then (probably) use that until they release the 172.

I prefer low wing planes so for me in terms of GA it's the Pipers I'm waiting to be released, if indeed A2A do bring them into the sim. Digits crossed all are eventually re-released for MSFS 8) I NEED my Spitfire fix too. :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”