BFR

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
awash2002
A2A ACE

BFR

Post by awash2002 »

I am wanting to do a simulated Biennial Flight Review in the Bonanza what are the maneuvers required for a BFR?

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: BFR

Post by Oracle427 »

Essentially you must demonstrate the knowledge and performance for all the manuevers to the standards for the rating that you hold on the aircraft you are flying.

If you are a private pilot, you should be ready to perform all manuevers to the private pilot standards, if you have a commercial rating, there are some additional manuevers and the standards are tighter. If you are instrument rated, then those apply as well.

You can reference here: https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/acs/

There are a number of skills to demonstrate and it would be a long list here, but these are some off the top of my head..

One most be able to hold headings, courses and altitude, demonstrate that they can change and intercept various new headings courses and/or attitudes within standards.

You'll need to demonstrate approaching a stall recognition and avoidance both power on and off.

Steep turns

Takeoffs and landings, short field and soft field

Slips

Various Emergency procedures

Flying by reference to instruments

Ground reference manuevers

The instructor can evaluate the ship of the pilot using various techniques. For example they can see if the pilot accounts for winds aloft as they fly patterns or line up for an emergency landing in a field
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

Cool thanks

TatoBean
Airman First Class

Post by TatoBean »

There's really no "Required Maneuvers" just an hour of ground and an hour of flying. However, any instructor worth their salt would actually have a plan to make sure you're safe and proficient. So when I was instructing I'd run through a set of maneuvers based on their rating (Private maneuvers for a private pilot, Commercial for commercial pilot etc.) I'd do some unusual attitudes, some basic IFR stuff (Simulating inadvertent IMC encounter.) Not necessarily going through everything but a selection of maneuvers to get a good feel for how they handle the airplane.

But the other thing I would do is sit down with the student and ask "What are you least comfortable with?" If the answer was say Cross Country flying. We would plan out a cross country, and go fly the first few legs of it before the maneuvers. Or maybe it was they didn't understand weather, so we'd do the ground portion on weather theory and products and so on.

This got the student excited about their BFR because it was something they wanted to learn about and it felt more like a teaching event than a checking event. On average we'd end up doing about 1.5-1.7 hours of ground and another 1.3-1.5 in the airplane.
Let the potato rest for 5 minutes.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”