will Targeting FPS to Unlimited damage my pc?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
ironmanthe3000
Airman

will Targeting FPS to Unlimited damage my pc?

Post by ironmanthe3000 »

I have FSX and I fly p51 mustang wit fps locked to 30, i observed yesterday that if i set fps target to unlimited my fps goes from 10 to surprisingly 15/17 fps.....
i tried to set Target limit 60 but still low fps but when set to unlimited it was different outcome.

Sir, I have a Question i want to set target fps limit to unlimited, will this damages my pc? pls kindly tell, thanks.

my pc specs....
4gb ram
1.6ghz
quad core
pentuim
win 10
no graphics card and one biggest thing its AIO(All In One)
Last edited by ironmanthe3000 on 23 Jul 2020, 00:17, edited 1 time in total.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: will Targeting FPS to Unlimited damage my pc?

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Locking frames to 30 means thats the max it will do , in heavy scenery it will be lower than that , so no it will not damage PC .
Also if flying on joinFS , it is essential for frames to be locked at 30 , else you can suffer from jerky flights.
regards alan. 8)

ironmanthe3000
Airman

Post by ironmanthe3000 »

alan CXA651 wrote: 22 Jul 2020, 23:55 Hi.
Locking frames to 30 means thats the max it will do , in heavy scenery it will be lower than that , so no it will not damage PC .
Also if flying on joinFS , it is essential for frames to be locked at 30 , else you can suffer from jerky flights.
regards alan. 8)
thanks sir, i thought setting it to unlimited will damage my pc thanks for removing my misconception. I will set my fps to unlimited. It gives more fps.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
I dont know why people think more than 30 fps is better than 30 fps , films are shown at 25 fps , anything more than 30 fps cannot be seen by your eyes and processed by the brain , locking it to 30 fps , means your PC has more memory to cope with other things in the background , locking it to 30 fps means it cannot go above this , but will drop below this figure on heavy scenery , as it will if frames are unlocked , i have mine locked at 30fps , but i use FSX+A , and in very heavy scenery , it can drop to single figures , unlocking my frames made no difference to the visuals , only thing that told me i had more than 30fps was the shift+z read out at the top left corner.
the sim will appear smooth to the eye from 20 to 30fps , and aircraft can be easily controlled at these fps , below 20 fps you will start to get jerky movements and aircraft are hard to fly correctly.
regards alan. 8)

ironmanthe3000
Airman

Post by ironmanthe3000 »

alan CXA651 wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 00:51 Hi.
I dont know why people think more than 30 fps is better than 30 fps , films are shown at 25 fps , anything more than 30 fps cannot be seen by your eyes and processed by the brain , locking it to 30 fps , means your PC has more memory to cope with other things in the background , locking it to 30 fps means it cannot go above this , but will drop below this figure on heavy scenery , as it will if frames are unlocked , i have mine locked at 30fps , but i use FSX+A , and in very heavy scenery , it can drop to single figures , unlocking my frames made no difference to the visuals , only thing that told me i had more than 30fps was the shift+z read out at the top left corner.
the sim will appear smooth to the eye from 20 to 30fps , and aircraft can be easily controlled at these fps , below 20 fps you will start to get jerky movements and aircraft are hard to fly correctly.
regards alan. 8)
yes you are right sir but idk why my pc is behaving odd compared to others when i set fps to 30 limit it drops under 10 in high scenery as well as in no scenery area (i dont use any scenery mods too) BUT as soon as i change fps from 30 to unlimited my fps boosts to almost 20 fps and in high scenery areas i get 15 to 12 fps, my all settings are set to low.
thats why i asked if setting to unlimited will kill my pc or not.

SmallAviator
Airman Basic

Post by SmallAviator »

Same problem with me too, I have almost same configuration as you but try lowering down settings more to very low, I have to practice instrumental training because I'm student and no money to buy new rig so I decided to lower everything except weather and water is set to low 2x....
I didn't think you can squeeze more out of that computer. :|

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

The reason 25 fps is ok is because the screen is stationary. If you have quick movement on the screen 25 fps is not enough. This is why the more expensive monitors and TV's have faster response time.
Using something like TrackIR you have the ability to move the view from straight ahead to the side and back again all within a second. Such panning is much clearer on high fps.
This is why people pay huge amounts for top end graphics cards.
I wish this commonly held view of 25 fps being enough would just die away with old age. Modern visuals are way past this now.
Cheers
Trev

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Have you got any FSX.cfg mods to help your system .
The important ones are:-
[JOBSCHEDULER] this is a new entry that goes at the top followed by affinitymask as below.
AffinityMask= the number here depends on how many cores you have, mine is set to 14 , there is a free tool you can use to calculate this , mine is a quad core with 4 virtual one core should be left free for PC background use.
under graphics type highmemfix=1 as below.
[GRAPHICS]
HIGHMEMFIX=1

in the sim itself set the screen size and refresh to the same as any monitor or built in screen you use , and run sim in window mode not full screen , the sim is more stable in window mode.
regards alan. 8)

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

TreeTops wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 03:18 The reason 25 fps is ok is because the screen is stationary. If you have quick movement on the screen 25 fps is not enough. This is why the more expensive monitors and TV's have faster response time.
Using something like TrackIR you have the ability to move the view from straight ahead to the side and back again all within a second. Such panning is much clearer on high fps.
I wish this commonly held view of 25 fps being enough would just die away with old age. Modern visuals are way past this now.
As a TrackIR user, you are completely right. 30FPS is not nearly enough. It requires around 50 for me to feel happy, but I can live with 40.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

twsharp12 wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 08:17
TreeTops wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 03:18 The reason 25 fps is ok is because the screen is stationary. If you have quick movement on the screen 25 fps is not enough. This is why the more expensive monitors and TV's have faster response time.
As a TrackIR user, you are completely right. 30FPS is not nearly enough. It requires around 50 for me to feel happy, but I can live with 40.
I concur. I also use TrackIR and have paid stupid amounts of money for PC hardware. You can't take it with you. :wink:

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

alan CXA651 wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 00:51 films are shown at 25 fps , anything more than 30 fps cannot be seen by your eyes and processed by the brain
This is a complete fallacy and I really don't understand why so many people keep regurgitating "facts" that are easily refutable. The brain can most certainly tell the difference between 30 / 60 /120 fps and more. All you need to do is go to YouTube and watch a video that was recorded in 60fps and you will see for yourself (provided your screen supports a 60Hz refresh rate). It's very clearly and undeniably so much more smooth than 30fps. Twice as smooth in fact.

The ONLY reason why 24fps in movies look relatively smooth is the 180° shutter rule (aka 1/48th of a second exposure). A slow shutter speed like that results in strong motion blur and it's that motion blur that fools the brain into seeing more frames than there actually are. It's an optical illusion!

Games usually don't have motion blur and if they do it's a fake filter. That means in games the individual frames are razor sharp and 24fps are not enough anymore to provide as smooth an experience as movies seemingly do. By the way, you can see the same problem in movies when the aforementioned 180°shutter rule is broken. In movies like "Saving Private Ryan" and "Gladiator" there are scenes that were shot at a higher shutter speed than 1/48th of a second, reducing motion blur. The result is much jerkier motion... aka stutter.

Some examples, make sure you select 60fps display with the little cog symbol before watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npMreLeVD6o

30 vs 60fps Gaming:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zquClG3j9so
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwkKou9mBtI

Real Life and Avatar in 60fps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChsT-y7Yvkk
Happy Landings
- Patrick

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

Don't forget also that persistence and phosphor luminance of old-style (CRT) TV screens would smooth out the frames.
--
Image--Image

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

For the sake of testing i have switched from locked 30fps to 61fps - indeed sim looks smoother, especially panning

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”