The Bonanza is a whole new world for me

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
woe
Airman Basic

The Bonanza is a whole new world for me

Post by woe »

Today I flew the first time the new Bonanza and it just blew me away. (Even literally, but that's another story.)

I'm a Comanche-Pilot for quite a while now, and, to be honest, I didn't expect the Bonanza to be even more amazing. But it is. I don't know how you people at A2A are able to create such a wonderful plane. I must say, however - now coming to the other story - this beast is really a handful! Having managed the start somehow (oh dear), the landing was even worse. I didn't break anything, thankfully, but the way I smacked it on the tarmac at Orbx KVUO was an experience to forget. As soon as I had it securely back on jacks in the hangar for a thorough inspection, I wondered if I should stick a bit longer with my Comanche. (Turn left and pass the wooden tables and you find my reddish Bonanza about hundred feet away in the open hangar.)

One thing is for sure: I need even more practise with the Comanche to manage the Bonanza.

Anyway... All I wanted to say was: Thank you for this piece of art!
A2A Aircraft: Skylane, Texan, P51 D Civilian, Comanche, Bonanza
System: B450 Tomahawk Max, Ryzen 7 (8 x 4,4GHz), 64GB RAM, GTX 1080 11GB RAM, SSDs, Windows 10, P3DV4.5

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: The Bonanza is a whole new world for me

Post by MarcE »

I wonder a bit what you think was your main "problem"? Directional control? Speed? did you overflare and balloon or/and did you stall? If you keep the V-tail in mind the Bonanza is <actually> quite easy to fly as it has a powerfull engine and very responding controls even at very low speeds. She absolutely has her quirks though. I'm curious what you think.

But I agree: a masterpiece!

Cheers =)

woe
Airman Basic

Post by woe »

The problem is 100% me.

To be honest, I'm not very good with aircrafts in the critical phases of flying.
The meds I have to take are affecting my nervous system that results in over reaction with the yoke and the pedals I guess. Kind of panic mode. Although I don't want to blame my meds alone. I enjoy flying very much, but it took me years to get an aircraft properly in the air without roller coaster the aircraft. The starts I have under control now.
Next came the landings: I admit it took me years to land without a crash. (Except for ILS landings.) Meanwhile I'm comfortable landing GA aircrafts by hand. Kind of, at least. The Comanche doesn't need to be repaired after touchdown anymore, a big achievement for me that is. So I can say I'm comfortable doing airport hopping across the US with the Piper without having to repair a thing.

The Bonanza, however, to finally answer your question: Everything starts all over again. After take-off the bird goes all over the place. The Beech just catches me cold. It's like starting in 30kn crosswinds, although winds are 0 to 4kn. The same with the landings: it's difficult to even hold a steady decent rate, but when I finally make it to the runway - there it is again: the crosswind that used to blow me all over the place. Although there isn't any.
Again: I know it's me. I most probably overcompensating with elevators and rudders.

The Bonanza for me is not only a handful, it's several handful.

I haven't find a way yet to keep things calm. It's a beast. But a beauty.
System: B450 Tomahawk Max, Ryzen 7 (8 x 4,4GHz), 64GB RAM, GTX 1080 11GB RAM, SSDs, Windows 10, P3DV4.5

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

The Bo can be a handful, alright. I read somewhere that holding a tiny bit of right rudder at the moment of lift off helps to keep her under control. Easy to overdo, but I think it helps.

Take your Bonanza up to about 5,000 feet AGL and slow her down, while maintaining altitude. Put down the gear and, as she gets into the white arc on the airspeed indicator, bring in full flaps. Get used to flying her at 80 knots or so. Then pull power and control pitch to maintain a 70 knot descent. Practice this until you feel confident while flying at a constant altitude and during descent at these low airspeeds. There are tons of videos on YouTube showing how to transition from a gliding approach to a flare, so check some of those out. Also, it seems that flight sim aircraft, and especially the A2A Bonanza, seem to be extremely sensitive in the pitch axis. This is especially apparent during the moment of flare. We all have to work on getting the feel for that. Practice makes perfect!

Have fun with your Bonanaza!

Seeya
ATB

woe
Airman Basic

Post by woe »

Thanks for your tips!

I will try to fly her on very low speeds at 5,000. We will see how it goes.

It gets better with every flight. The Doctorkiller can be handled, even by me, I know it!

Cheers.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”