Thinking about p3dv5

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Thinking about p3dv5

Post by n421nj »

Any performance increase by switching to v5? Thinking about the switch only because a2a is making planes for it.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

TymK
Staff Sergeant

Re: Thinking about p3dv5

Post by TymK »

There are some noticeable (sometimes very noticeable) performance gains, especially in the areas which have always been problematic (such as Seattle and the San Juan Islands). The problem is that v5 was released before it was ready, really, so there are stability and compatibility issues at the moment.

My biggest problem is that the new version still looks pretty bad out-of-the-box, but none of the existing shader tools (except Envshade, which offers very little flexibility) work anymore. If you're fine with the "stock" visuals or willing to live with the limitations/bugs of the new Enhanced Atmospherics feature (which is labelled beta and shows some great promise, but is still rather buggy and feels like alpha at this point...), it shouldn't be too bad. However, while you can get some spectacular screenshots under the right conditions, in day-to-day use you're likely to run into many situations where it looks really bad...

Another thing is add-on compatibility. Some scenery devs offer V5-compatible versions which haven't really been updated to work properly in V5, so you get things like (semi)transparent runway textures, objects showing through fog, etc.

I've been trying to make it work for me, but I keep coming back to V4.5... I'd say it's not ready for "production" use yet but, of course, YMMV ;-)

Regards,
Tym

socalf1fan
Airman

Post by socalf1fan »

V5 has erased 4.5 on my desktop. Everyone’s mileage may vary but to me the Enhanced Atmospherics (ie TrueSky) makes every other available sim look like trash. Especially when flying in actual IFR conditions. Don’t get me wrong, pick your favorite cloud texture add on for 4.5...and they look good from far but rotating 2d sprites as you fly through them are now obsolete. The ability to actually get lost in a cloud is quite impressive.

With that said, some people have problems. DX12 implementation is not stable for everyone, as has been mentioned some devs have been sloppy in their V5 addons and not taking the time to actually recompile it with the V5 sdk or take time to actually optimize their releases. I can tell you that the A2A planes function awesome in V5.

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

What exactly do you mean by 'performance'? My guess would 'FPS' right? FPS is not a measure of 'performance'. Look out of the side window and ask yourself, is what I'm seeing passing under my wing smooth. If that's what you're aiming for then P3Dv5 avec hot fixes is for you. No question.
So go get it and turn off your frame counter. Nothing more distracting than watching FPS on short final.
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Ron Attwood wrote: 24 Jun 2020, 19:45 What exactly do you mean by 'performance'? My guess would 'FPS' right? FPS is not a measure of 'performance'. Look out of the side window and ask yourself, is what I'm seeing passing under my wing smooth. If that's what you're aiming for then P3Dv5 avec hot fixes is for you. No question.
So go get it and turn off your frame counter. Nothing more distracting than watching FPS on short final.
By performance I’m referring to smoothness. I could care less about frames however there is a strong correlation between frames and smoothness and thus immersion. I fly out of KCDW in real life and in the sim if weather is IFR then my sim doesn’t run as nice as when I’m say 6,000 feet up. Makes practicing for my IFR rating very frustrating.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

My experience with v5 is much improved performance in almost all aspects compared to v4.5. In fact, ever since I changed from FSX to P3Dv2, every new 'big' release from v2.5 thru v5 has brought an improvement to the sim performance.

It might be worth noting that this experience has been completely opposite to the worries of some camps that PC upgrades are necessary whenever the sim gets a major upgrade. Though I had to change to Win10 for v5.

-Esa

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

n421nj wrote: 24 Jun 2020, 23:14
Ron Attwood wrote: 24 Jun 2020, 19:45 What exactly do you mean by 'performance'? My guess would 'FPS' right? FPS is not a measure of 'performance'. Look out of the side window and ask yourself, is what I'm seeing passing under my wing smooth. If that's what you're aiming for then P3Dv5 avec hot fixes is for you. No question.
By performance I’m referring to smoothness. I could care less about frames however there is a strong correlation between frames and smoothness and thus immersion. I fly out of KCDW in real life and in the sim if weather is IFR then my sim doesn’t run as nice as when I’m say 6,000 feet up. Makes practicing for my IFR rating very frustrating.
Excellent. Then you'll be more than happy with v5

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

OK I think I'm convinced (guess I'm done with "quaint"), but a quick question: what are you guys using for scenery in v5? Are the performance gains being seen with default scenery of does Orbx have v5 compatibility?
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

*Sigh*
P3Dv5 + bits (otherwise known as HF2 plus very nearly everything that Orbx does runs as smooth as the smoothest thing you can think of. :twisted:
I have a few other carefully selected bits of scenery and a coachload of aeroplanes. My system is a lowly 6700K @4.2Gigawhatsits, a GTX1070 Stryx (8ghzeses VRAM) 16 giggles of 3200 ram (in a very fetching red) Most of my sliders are edging up towards the high end but not too aggressively. PLUS the dreaded VR
My advice to you would be 'fill yer boots'
Oh, I have been a lifelong opponent of FPS quotations, I look out the window and enjoy the view.
I forgot: Unlimited framerate. VR decides that for you.

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

some run it great, some curse more than ever..

FPS should be above 20-25 and stutters should be eliminated to call it a good performance, constantly above 30 and no stutters I'd call a great performance (For P3D, not for other games :D)

with a computer that matches the recommended system it should be fine. As long as you're not one of those who CTD every second flight.

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

MarcE wrote: 26 Jun 2020, 18:58 some run it great, some curse more than ever..

FPS should be above 20-25 and stutters should be eliminated to call it a good performance, constantly above 30 and no stutters I'd call a great performance (For P3D, not for other games :D)

with a computer that matches the recommended system it should be fine. As long as you're not one of those who CTD every second flight.
Couldn't put it better myself. I think. :?

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Ron Attwood wrote: 26 Jun 2020, 19:04
MarcE wrote: 26 Jun 2020, 18:58 some run it great, some curse more than ever..

Couldn't put it better myself. I think. :?
Isn‘t it the greatest answer to the question?

Does it work? Are we good? Do you forgive me? Will you marry me?

- Maybe.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Thanks for the additional info guys! I've bought the sim and installed all my A2A airplanes but haven't figure out how to install Orbx scenery yet and I don't want to fly without it...working on that today... :D
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Do you have Orbx Central? If not, why not?

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Ya I do...and I figured it out shortly after posting that :oops: who knew it was that easy! :mrgreen:

Thanks Ron!
Rob Wilkinson

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”