Aerostar Checkout - success

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Aerostar Checkout - success

Post by AKar »

Scott - A2A wrote: 13 Jul 2020, 18:41
AKar wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 22:29
Scott - A2A wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 16:49 Now it looks like tomorrow (Thursday) is the day the left engine will be started. We've been waiting on two parts to arrive. I'll bring some go pros to capture this very first startup. Can't wait to fly this again.
If you don't mind reminding us, what all was done to the engine in the end, top ovh or more?

-Esa
Esa, a full overhaul. We ended up replacing a load of wire that looked like bird's nest today. Hoping tomorrow is the day for startup.

Scott
And the right engine is mid-/high-time one? It could be interesting to have such a pair of "de-coupled" engines, with widely different near-term service history, and see how they may perhaps start to show their individual traits.

-Esa

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Esa,

Both were low time engines that sat for a long time outside. The left engine feel prey to internal corrosion, specifically a bunch of cam lobes wore off. So naturally we are watching the right engine closely, checking the filter and doing oil analysis. The first thing I will do once this is started is to see what max static RPM is on both engines.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Hopefully you'll get lucky with the right one (and of course everything is good with the overhaul as well!). As you surely know, the first oil samples after long standing in poor conditions are likely to contain elevated amounts of iron as the engine scrapes off the rust, so to say, but with any luck there is no bigger particles of metal shed and the Fe readings go down soon. (Perhaps once in the future the oil analysis could be added to the simulation. :)) These are annoying situations, I recall from back when working in circumstances of managing small airplanes, because there is only so much one can do but wish for the best before the engine is either up and running or taken apart.

Exciting times!

-Esa

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Here you go, finally the engine starts :)

Esa, with the right engine I'm planning to sample the oil every 25 hrs.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

That sounded healthy enough. :D Exciting eh?
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Ron Attwood wrote: 17 Jul 2020, 18:39 That sounded healthy enough. :D Exciting eh?
Well yes but... the engine is EXTREMELY smooth. I ran both later and they both feel and sound completely different. We're not sure why or if this is even an issue, but Monday is going to be an interesting day because I'm going to run both engines at full power and see what the static RPM is. Hopefully they are the same, meaning, the right engine is producing the same power. I will mount proper cameras for that one so everyone can experience it.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

We wait with bated breath. :)
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Scott - A2A wrote: 17 Jul 2020, 18:45
Ron Attwood wrote: 17 Jul 2020, 18:39 That sounded healthy enough. :D Exciting eh?
Well yes but... the engine is EXTREMELY smooth. I ran both later and they both feel and sound completely different. We're not sure why or if this is even an issue, but Monday is going to be an interesting day because I'm going to run both engines at full power and see what the static RPM is. Hopefully they are the same, meaning, the right engine is producing the same power. I will mount proper cameras for that one so everyone can experience it.

Scott.
So what you're saying is that at full power around sea level the engines won't reach full RPM?
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mickel »

Not sitting stationary. You should see that on the GA types already out.
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

Scott is your Aerostar a Aerostar 600 or 600A?

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Scott.
Great to see your Aerostar once again with both engines installed. In your shoes, I'd be itching to get her back in the air but I guess it's baby steps for now. That new engine sounded very smooth. It would be interesting to hear just the left engine in comparison to the right engine.

Best of luck on Monday and I hope it goes well. Looking forward to the next thrilling installment :mrgreen: .

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Medtner wrote: 17 Jul 2020, 19:23

Scott.
So what you're saying is that at full power around sea level the engines won't reach full RPM?
It is almost always the case that the propeller shall limit the static RPM just short of the redline. Propeller manufacturers are usually very specific about this, and require the propeller's mechanical low pitch to be set that way and this confirmed by static run. Reasons for this are rather self-evident, the most important one being that it is impossible to overspeed the engine when setting the power for takeoff, and even in case of governor failure, the eventual overspeeding will be somewhat gradual as the aircraft picks up speed.

Congratulations on getting this far, Scott! Be careful with that open door! :D

-Esa

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Mickel wrote: 17 Jul 2020, 21:24 Not sitting stationary. You should see that on the GA types already out.
Yes this is by design. As you move down the runway the RPM will rise to max where the prop governor starts to work to keep it there. But this static RPM is a great way to test if your engine is making full power.

BTW Esa my son yelled "Dad, what is your leg doing so close to the prop?" For some reason it looks worse than it was, it's pretty tight in there and literally impossible for me to accidentally fall out but I do agree, it would have been safer to just get properly situated in the seat with the bottom clamshell door closed.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Haha, I'm sure it looks more scary than it really is! :D

I recall a case where there was an issue with a light twin turboprop, of LH generator not coming online. For troubleshooting purposes, the LH engine was fired up and the mechanic went on to take a few measurements from the generator. This required him to stand in the space between the un-cowled engine and the fuselage, and in between the propeller and the wing leading edge. Moving into that position from behind the wing required him to dodge the exhaust blast from the turbine engine. I recall cringing on sight of all of that.

The issue was traced into loose wiring above the overhead. That should have been foreseen, for the overhead was taken fully open just before when fixing another, unrelated problem - if I remember right, a faulty GPS due to physical installation not respecting the STC requirements for the specified antenna cable lengths.

-Esa

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

AKar wrote: 18 Jul 2020, 01:00 [...] and even in case of governor failure, the eventual overspeeding will be somewhat gradual as the aircraft picks up speed.
Of course, I must add that in case of twins, the propeller acts the opposite way to the ones in the singles. That is, towards the feather. The scenario above would be modified to add some further failure modes for the twins.

In case the governor fails to ever produce oil pressure to the hub after start-up, the propeller would probably rest on its start locks. This would be evident by the engine not just reaching its usual static RPM, though the error could be quite a subtle. I'd consider this failure mode very remote, except perhaps if the airplane had some recent work done on the governor.

In case the governor fails to provide oil pressure to the hub some time after the start-up but before or during the take-off power application, if occurring during running at elevated RPM, the failure would result in the propeller feathering, which would be readily obvious (though it could happen rather slowly).

Failures in the governing function itself work almost the same as in the singles.

-Esa

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”