My New Ride / If I Could Only Have One...

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

My New Ride / If I Could Only Have One...

Post by MkIV Hvd »

It has become more and more apparent to me lately that of all my A2A airplanes, the one that I would pick as my favorite above all the others is the Civilian Mustang. It can do it all from low and (relatively) slow sightseeing to high altitude, grab the jetstream type cross countries and everything in between. For travelling it’s like having a personal light jet, but the cool factor is off the charts with the Mustang!

Very recently, to allow me to narrow down my airplane choice even more, I received a repaint of my favorite Mustang scheme ever in the form of our old friend Jerry Janes’ “Cottonmouth”, from Bladerunner900…thanks so very much Steve!! Now, to raise the cool factor even more, while researching the airplane’s history I made some very interesting discoveries that make this airplane even closer to my heart.

Mustang 44-73973 was taken on strength by the RCAF in January of 1951 as Mustang 9281 and from what I can see it spent the bulk of its career until it was struck off strength in August of 1958, with RCAF 403 City of Calgary Auxiliary squadron. Having lived all my life within about two miles of RCAF Station Lincoln Park, where 403 Squadron was based, makes it even more special to me!

Its life after the RCAF was even more interesting, as it went to El Salvador in 1969 and flew in the Football War in which Lynn Garrison flew as a mercenary. I’d heard Lynn’s name in the past but didn’t know anything about him. Lynn served with 403 Squadron for 1954 until 1964 and amassed a very large collection of vintage warbirds in the Calgary area, a few of which are still around; G-HURI was his airplane and his Spitfire is with Paul Allen’s collection in WA. Both were essentially stolen from him and sold without his knowledge after they were loaned to the City of Calgary…crazy story! Interestingly enough, he had another Hurricane, which is under restoration in Wetaskiwin, AB and a Mosquito which was finally pulled out of long term storage and transferred the Bomber Command Museum in Nanton, AB for restoration due to their experience with Merlins and general aircraft restorations…they have a running Lancaster (@Lewis ;)).

Mustang 9281 operated by 403 City of Calgary Squadron RCAF. This photo was taken February 15, 1956 at RCAF Station Calgary, Alberta with Lynn Garrison in cockpit. 9281 was sold by Canadian government to James De Furia of New York and subsequently flew with the El Salvadorian Air Force during the 1969 Football War. Collector Jerry Janes brought 9281 back to Canada where it was restored and named "Cottonmouth."

Here she is as I knew her, circa 1979/80 ish...

Beating the crap out of High River Airport…she's beautiful from every angle :mrgreen:

Cheers All & Thanks Very Much Again Steve!!
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: My New Ride / If I Could Only Have One...

Post by Paughco »

Great, uplifting post you just gave us, there! Thank you for that. I agree, that if I could only have one, it would have to be the Civ Mustang. Glad I've got that RXP GTN 650 working in her. Now if I could only get the machine guns to work... :D

Seeya
ATB

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Thanks Paughco! I have a feeling that you and machine guns would just be a whole bunch of havoc looking for a place to let loose!!! :wink: :mrgreen:
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

thomas_mac
Senior Airman

Post by thomas_mac »

Great photos, I also really like that repaint! I got curious and wanted to learn more about that particular Mustang, Interesting there doesn't seem to be much lately online about it.
https://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51/s ... l/44-73973

I believe the Wetaskiwin Hurricane is now on display in Calgary.
https://www.thehangarmuseum.ca/exhibits ... 389-mk-xii

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

"…they have a running Lancaster (@Lewis ;)) "

Good one :D

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

thomas_mac wrote: 09 Jun 2020, 12:59 Great photos, I also really like that repaint! I got curious and wanted to learn more about that particular Mustang, Interesting there doesn't seem to be much lately online about it.
https://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51/s ... l/44-73973

I believe the Wetaskiwin Hurricane is now on display in Calgary.
https://www.thehangarmuseum.ca/exhibits ... 389-mk-xii
Thanks thomas_mac! Yep the first time I saw that Mustang I thought it was the coolest one I'd ever seen and my opinion hasn't changed at all! I thought I'd seen something more recent in my search but now I can't find it...and I also could have been wrong :wink:

Thanks for that, it's probably about time for me to visit that museum again :D
Rob Wilkinson

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Artur wrote: 10 Jun 2020, 02:58 "…they have a running Lancaster (@Lewis ;)) "

Good one :D
Heeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooooo
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”