Need help getting Saitek accessories working

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
SaxTeacher
Airman Basic

Need help getting Saitek accessories working

Post by SaxTeacher »

Hello,

I'm a flight instructor (mostly in Piper Comanches) and decided to put together a flight simulator to use with the A2A Piper Comanche.

I think I've bought all the gear I will need to use P3D / FSX effectively. Both programs run, and the yoke, throttle, and rudder pedals work. But I have been unable to get any of the other Saitek accessories (radio panel, multi panel, switch panel) to work. (They power up, but don't have any effect in either FSX or P3D.)

Over the past few months I have spent hours upon hours trying to get them to work, including installing Spad, but have gotten nowhere. Now I have a week off and I would like to take this opportunity to get everything working perfectly before they return!

Where is the best place to find someone who might be able to help? I'm sure there are many experienced flight sim experts who could solve these problems in an hour or two (perhaps much less). Perhaps an adult who has some extra time, or a high school or college student who wants to make a few dollars and do a good turn. The help could be in person (we are in southwestern Connecticut) or remotely (via skype/facetime/remote desktop).

If you know of anyone who might be well suited for a bit of specialized technical support, please put them in touch with me! I would be happy to return the favor with a ride over the area (or a scenic ride around NYC) this fall, in an RL Piper Comanche!

Thanks for any advice you can give.

P.S. I have accumulated the following parts.

- Windows 10 PC (AMD Phenom II X4 945 @ 3ghz; 8GB RAM; SSD plus 1TB HDD) (working)
- Radeon R9 290X 4GB graphics card, with 4 screens (working)
- powered 10-port USB hub (working)
- installed programs: P3D v4; A2A Piper Comanche for P3D; FSX. (All working)
- Saitek Pro yoke (working)
- ProPedals rudder pedals (working)
- Saitek TPM
- Saitek Radio Panel
- Saitek Multi Panel
- Saitek Switch Panel
- TrackIR 5 (connected; but haven't figured how to link it to P3D/FSX)
- installed software: "Logitech Flight Panels" and "FSX Plugin" and SPAD v0.5.0 and SPAD.neXt
Last edited by SaxTeacher on 28 May 2020, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.

Tigerclaw
Technical Sergeant

Re: Assistance with setting up Saitek accessories

Post by Tigerclaw »

Hi, your TrackIR should “link” automatically to both FSX and P3D. Just make sure it’s running and minimised (one led should be showing). When you start the sim, the other led should light up. I don’t have to do anything special to get it to connect.

The TPM Panel, you should be able to set up through the sims “controls” option. There is a drop down list at the top for controllers. Select “Axis Assignments” on the left (not buttons and keys), then use the drop down list to find and select the TPM panel. Once you’ve selected that, scroll down for the correct assignment, double click and then move your lever you wish to use. Eg. select “throttle”, double click, then move your throttle lever/slider. I push in and pull out twice to make sure. This should set that lever to throttle. Repeat for the other levers Prop and mixture. If you want to set the switches, you’ll need to change to “buttons/keys” option.

If the TPM Panel is not listed in the drop down, check your windows devices to see if it’s listed there. If not find the correct driver and install that.

As for the Radio, Multi, and Switch panels, everybody recommends Spad.next. So mine are still sitting (unused) on the shelf. I can’t use Spad either. The one thing I DO know, is Spad won’t work with the drivers installed. Hence why I don’t use it.

Sorry I can’t be much more help, but good luck with it all.
Tony (That's all your getting, like it or lump it)

MSFS i7-7700 Kaby Lake CPU @ 3.60 GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Cores (Liquid cooled) Gigabyte B250M-DS3H-CF M/Board 32 Gig DDR4 Ram Nvidia GTX 1080ti 11GB GDDR 5 Win 10 Home Acer Predator XB271HU.

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Re: Need help getting Saitek accessories working

Post by TBryson2 »

Yes, Spad.neXt is the way to go. I’ve used it for years. Sad you have to pay (not that much) for the Saitek devices to work. But it works seamlessly. I only have a radio panel, but know someone with a “multi-panel” and Spad.neXt was the only way I could get them to work properly.

I belong to a flight sim club in central Florida. If you’re local, send me a PM. If not, perhaps there is one in your area and they would be happy to help.

TB2
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club
United States Marine Corps

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Need help getting Saitek accessories working

Post by Scott - A2A »

SaxTeacher wrote: 28 May 2020, 10:10I'm a flight instructor (mostly in Piper Comanches) and decided to put together a flight simulator to use with the A2A Piper Comanche.
Where do you teach out of? It would be great to see some picts of your Comanche.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”