First vaccine to show actual efficacy against Covid 19 developed..

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Re: First vaccine to show actual efficacy against Covid 19 developed..

Post by Medtner »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 22 May 2020, 09:32
Ron Attwood wrote: 22 May 2020, 08:17 You want cheering up? It came to me in a flash why nothing is mentioned about the B-17 . They're building a Lancaster!
Excellent!! Good news in this thread... :mrgreen:
I’ll take any good news! :-)

But will it arrive on Wednesday? :-P
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

patful wrote: 21 May 2020, 19:42 Depressing? You want depressing? I'll never have my native P3D4 A2A big radial fighter. :mrgreen:
+1
ImageImageImageImage

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Here are some very good stats for COVID-19:
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... fatalities

It shows COVID-19 not all that much different than other diseases when it comes to age (which is brutal). It reminds me just how deadly the common flu can be for the elderly. Still many of us think of the flu as benign for healthy people because it just doesn't pose a risk worth worrying about.

The issue with COVID-19 IMO is how easily it spreads. If tomorrow every single person in the world got the flu there would be carnage. But that can't be confused with risk of death. But people are doing the right thing by social distancing and wearing masks to limit the spread and it's working. We need to keep in mind that, if you are young and healthy you are more likely to die in a car accident than from COVID-19. I'm not worried about my kids getting COVID-19 and I am a parent that worries about my kids a lot (I spend time helping Jake with flight safety because that is 20-100x more likely to kill him). I feel this way about COVID-19 only because there is no statistic I've seen to give me reason to feel otherwise. We all can agree it's serious for elderly and those with weakened systems but it seems some still feel there is high risk for young and healthy even when the data we have says otherwise.

If someone can post a statistic that shows a healthy young or middle aged person has more reason to fear COVID-19 than the flu, please post it. There is probably misinformation being spread on both positions (which means I could be wrong too).

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

Scott that's a informative article.
So far the total USA counted confirmed deaths from COVID-19 is now 97,811 as of May 25,2020 according to JHU.
That great article was from May 7,2020 and it lists 74,000 COVID-19 USA deaths.
One thing I noticed is that it listed the Transport accident deaths for the USA.
However what's left out is the deaths caused from the exhaust emission fumes (indirectly causing lung disease and cancers) which I have heard greatly exceeds direct accident caused deaths.Unfortunately I don't have the numbers for that.
Basically when you drive (with a ICE) you smoke and many others breath that toxic cancerous causing smoke.

Yes COVID-19 spreads easily. People can be infected and not even know it for many days and they can infect many other people during that time.
It's like a slow motion version of the fission process of a nuclear reactor if controlled.
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Scott - A2A wrote: 25 May 2020, 06:54 Here are some very good stats for COVID-19:
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... fatalities

It shows COVID-19 not all that much different than other diseases when it comes to age (which is brutal). It reminds me just how deadly the common flu can be for the elderly. Still many of us think of the flu as benign for healthy people because it just doesn't pose a risk worth worrying about.

The issue with COVID-19 IMO is how easily it spreads. If tomorrow every single person in the world got the flu there would be carnage. But that can't be confused with risk of death. But people are doing the right thing by social distancing and wearing masks to limit the spread and it's working. We need to keep in mind that, if you are young and healthy you are more likely to die in a car accident than from COVID-19. I'm not worried about my kids getting COVID-19 and I am a parent that worries about my kids a lot (I spend time helping Jake with flight safety because that is 20-100x more likely to kill him). I feel this way about COVID-19 only because there is no statistic I've seen to give me reason to feel otherwise. We all can agree it's serious for elderly and those with weakened systems but it seems some still feel there is high risk for young and healthy even when the data we have says otherwise.

If someone can post a statistic that shows a healthy young or middle aged person has more reason to fear COVID-19 than the flu, please post it. There is probably misinformation being spread on both positions (which means I could be wrong too).

Scott.
This seems all kind of fair, and I'm with you as far as fear for my own safety goes. I'm really not worried about getting it myself, though I'd like to avoid it - as with the flu and other illnesses. I get easily pathetic and whiningly self-pitying when I get even the slightest cold, so i prefer staying healthy.

However, I care about not transmitting to others - my aging mother for example. She would be much more likely to get a complicated deal with Covid, and while none of us can be 100% of anything, we can do our part by distance, hygiene, and so forth.
Vaccines are part of our tool kit, and we who can take them should. If not for ourselves, we can do it for those who can't (or even wont - we are all here for you too).
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”