First vaccine to show actual efficacy against Covid 19 developed..

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Hobart Escin

First vaccine to show actual efficacy against Covid 19 developed..

Post by Hobart Escin »

Oxford University in England have produced the world's first vaccine against Covid 19 that demonstrates both antibody production and immunity against Covid 19 in initial studies. Using this British-engineered vaccine, researchers in Montana here in the USA administered the vaccine to a control group of rhesus monkeys (monkeys share 93 percent of human DNA). Vaccinated monkeys in the control group were exposed to Covid 19 and did not contract any illness or evidence of viral transmission. Unvaccinated monkeys in the same control group exhibited pneumonia symptoms and tested positive for Covid 19.

While this research is of course preliminary and does not prove conclusively that the vaccine will be completely effective in humans, or that it will not have negative health effects, this research does nevertheless demonstrate the world's first actual scientific evidence that an effective vaccine can be produced. It's a start; first light at the end of the tunnel may finally be seen. :D

Story here:

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/oxfords-c ... s-promise/

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Re: First vaccine to show actual efficacy against Covid 19 developed..

Post by bobsk8 »

Hobart Escin wrote: 15 May 2020, 23:59 Oxford University in England have produced the world's first vaccine against Covid 19 that demonstrates both antibody production and immunity against Covid 19 in initial studies. Using this British-engineered vaccine, researchers in Montana here in the USA administered the vaccine to a control group of rhesus monkeys (monkeys share 93 percent of human DNA). Vaccinated monkeys in the control group were exposed to Covid 19 and did not contract any illness or evidence of viral transmission. Unvaccinated monkeys in the same control group exhibited pneumonia symptoms and tested positive for Covid 19.

While this research is of course preliminary and does not prove conclusively that the vaccine will be completely effective in humans, or that it will not have negative health effects, this research does nevertheless demonstrate the world's first actual scientific evidence that an effective vaccine can be produced. It's a start; first light at the end of the tunnel may finally be seen. :D

Story here:

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/oxfords-c ... s-promise/
Good news for Monkeys...
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

bobsk8 wrote: 16 May 2020, 08:03 Good news for Monkeys...
LOL :lol: ...thanks for looking at the lighter side... :lol:
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 16 May 2020, 08:36
bobsk8 wrote: 16 May 2020, 08:03 Good news for Monkeys...
LOL :lol: ...thanks for looking at the lighter side... :lol:
Also good news for plutocrats. Too cynical? :|

Hobart Escin

Post by Hobart Escin »

Good news for humans too. :wink: We hominids share a very similar immune system with our primate counterparts. What this research is demonstrating is that Covid 19 isn't a chimera like H.I.V., for which a true vaccine has never been developed. Covid 19's genetic relationship with other Corona Virus strains such as SARS gives scientists a firm foundation and direction to move towards in regard to vaccine development. The British vaccine for Covid 19 uses the strategy of putting Covid's genetic payload into a 'disarmed' cold virus. This allows a vaccinated animal's (or human) immune system to geno-type Covid 19's RNA signature and produce antibodies to kill the virus before an infection takes place.

Again, nothing here is conclusive, nor does it rule out other obstacles in producing a universal Covid 19 vaccine, but this is the first real demonstrable progress so far. The Brits just may be on to something big.

Jarek
Senior Airman

Post by Jarek »

If you want to play Russian roulette game, feel free. Usually this handgun has a high-capacity cylinder but personally - thank you, will pass. Simply because things that were done in the past and there is absolutely no guarantee that it's not going on again. H1N1 thing was also developed under high pressure.
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/conce ... y-flu.html
https://www.bmj.com/content/343/bmj.d5956
http://www.kccb.or.ke/home/news-2/press-statement-5/
http://content.time.com/time/health/art ... 66,00.html

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

Sadly this virus is damaging or deadly to our other closely related members of the great ape family as well .
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

Busty_Bomber
Airman First Class

Post by Busty_Bomber »

I am very weary on how safe it is. Just like that time when doctors promoted smoking, promote the vaccine. No change to the game

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Any vaccine is going to be very difficult for me to take personally especially that we now know benign COVID-19 is for people under 60. I haven't had a flu shot in over 10 years and will probably pass on this vaccine as well. However if I had underlying conditions that put me at high risk for COVID-19 I'd more than likely get the vaccine.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

Benign? I have a buddy in Denver that had it. Three weeks of misery, two trips to the ER with breathing problems, then pneumonia, and over a month in, still has trouble breathing and no appetite. 54 with no prior health conditions, active, hit the gym every day.

Then there's the issue of people unknowingly spreading it to others because they refused to get the vaccine.

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

I just saw in the news that Annie Glenn widow of Senator (and Astronaut) John Glenn has died at the age of 100 of COVID 19 complications.

https://komonews.com/news/nation-world/ ... ies-at-100

I was a very young kid and I have very faint memories of the time of John Glenn's Mercury Spacecraft flight.
I had a book on that spaceflight and a few other subjects just a couple of years later
Most of the NASA television broadcasts on the big three television networks (ABC,NBC and CBS) that I remember were of the Gemini and Apollo missions and I fondly watched all of them either on my families 1948 Zenith Console TV with the round CRT or else the 1965 Magnavox Color television downstairs. I was pretty fond of that 1948 Zenith TV Console. It had a radio and a phonograph built in too.

Again sad to hear that his wife died of this horrible virus.
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

I know four people under 40, some barely past 30 who have had COVID-19 and not one of them describes it is benign. One said they wouldn't wish it upon their worst enemies and they were all ill with fevers, breathing issues, severe migraines and body aches for up to 5 weeks. All are fit, exercise regularly and have no risk factors.

Be careful!
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Mikenor
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mikenor »

I’ll be passing on having the vaccine as well.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Every flu shot I've ever had has made me sick. When I was in the military a lot of guys wanted to refuse the shots but were threatened with punishment. Everyone got shots.

I doubt we'll be able to avoid vaccination, but I won't be an early adopter. I wanna see how it affects other people first.

Hook

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Just to add to the mix of different responses: I'll be having the vaccine the day it is available and reasonably safe to use. As Oracle and Patful says, Covid19 can be really bad even for us younger people, and while I feel that I have the health to "take it", I also don't want to be carrying the virus, because while I may be brushing it off my steel armored immune system I may pass it along to others who don't have the same capacity.

All this with the caveat that I need to have reasonable confidence in that the vaccination won't have horrific side effects, and that it will indeed work.

Having learned so much lately about how vaccination helps not only myself, but others as well, I'll be looking into getting the flu-shot too.
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”