Another of my hobbies.

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Re: Another of my hobbies.

Post by AviationAtWar »

I used to have a hobby room too with all my airplane stuff and model bench but lost it when my second daughter was born; we now also have a third child so my music and airplane stuff are all contained to one room.

1SgtMajor
Staff Sergeant

Post by 1SgtMajor »

Beautiful repaints.

Loved the Yak-3. Brought back memories of Flightsim's Yak-3 years ago. I think Capt. Sim was the developer. It was one of my favorites back in the day! If I remember correctly.....there was a lot of good re-paints.

Cheers!
SJR
Steve R.
SgtMajor, USMC (Retired)

ImageImageImage

mglan80
Airman

Post by mglan80 »

Very nice! I’ve just started to work on a P-51 I got for a birthday present a few years ago. Hopefully it turns out half as nice as yours did.

I’m lucky enough to have a spare bedroom and a small space in the basement for hobbies. Fly sim in the office upstairs and models and trains in the basement with the tools and spares. If I lost the upstairs office I would be inconsolable! My wife and I have no plans for a third!

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

I've resurrected a kit that I consigned to the shelf of doom in 2016, thanks to the engine driving me nuts. But I've learned a bit in the intervening years, so I thought I'd have another bash, and I've almost got that engine finished. It's taken me two weeks just to do the cooling tins and plug wires, but I've also got the supercharger ducting well under way. I'll be cutting access panels into the fuselage so that some of this will be visible.

Yes, it is standing on it's own spark plug wires :lol:

Both are still a work in progress, but it should be obvious as to what the plane will be. Which of us will finish first; me or :a2awhite: with the much requested :p3d: update?? Feel free to chime in here, please Lewis :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

WOW :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thats a beast!
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Thanks Lewis. It certainly is a bit of a beast, but that's also a reflection of the real thing.

Progress continues, though much more slowly than the builds of the last six months. After all, I have to give :a2awhite: a chance to keep up with all the fine work they're doing on a :p3d: release on the Thunderbolt :mrgreen: :mrgreen: The engine has now been mated to the supercharger assembly, additional plumbing is in place and I'm presently working on repairing the cowlings after I cut them off so that they fit properly when it's finished. Also, I've started work on the cockpit too.

And here's the effect I'm going for with the engine and supercharger in place in the fuselage. The standard kit just has a removable forward cowling, but I've cut away the cowling behind the cylinders to show the supercharger ducting.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

For those interested, my P-47 build continues. Here's some cockpit shots. The A2A P-47 manual was a help in this part of the build, too, giving me a good idea of the layout and some of the details. However, this has been a much slower build than my last couple of models as it's not a brilliant kit. Plus, I have to give :a2awhite: a sporting chance to get their :p3d: P-47 done first :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The fuselage is now together and I've started filling and cleaning the joint between the two halves.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

trindade
Staff Sergeant

Post by trindade »

Beautiful work, Mike.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

It goes beyond beautiful. I can't imagine doing that kind of detail work.

Post a pic of one of your brushes, with something to give it some scale. Or are you not using brushes? :D

Hook

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Hook wrote: 12 Jul 2020, 16:55 It goes beyond beautiful. I can't imagine doing that kind of detail work.

Post a pic of one of your brushes, with something to give it some scale. Or are you not using brushes? :D

Hook
I do use brushes, but only for fine or smaller parts. Everything else is mostly air brush and sometimes rattle can.

Here's a pic showing the size against a 1foot engineers rule. The rudder is now on, but the prop is simply pushed into place as there's still some work to be done under the cowling.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Wow, just pure WOW :shock: :shock: :shock:

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Lewis - A2A wrote: 22 Jul 2020, 07:42 Wow, just pure WOW :shock: :shock: :shock:
Thank you. Then I hope you'll like my progress so far. I've had no end of trouble getting the cowling to fit, but this is not the best kit on the market by a long shot. The windscreen is just in place for effect. I need inspiration for this kit. I still have to put in the guns sight and armoured glass, so characteristic of the Razorback before I can finally glue it in.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Well it's been a while since I updated this, but I finally got my P-47 finished yesterday. This kit has been a lot of trouble to build with many problems encountered and has had me questioning my sanity on occasion, but I'm mostly happy with the results. The kit is full of issues, yet some of it is very good. I've also found out too late about my mistakes such as the engine firewall which should be natural metal, but there's not many large scale P-47 Razorbacks available, so this was a must build for me.

The model represents a P-47D-10 of the 56th Fighter Group based at Halesworth UK in March 1944, as flown by Lt Fred Christensen who scored 10.5 of his eventual 21.5 kills on this aircraft. As such, it uses the 12ft 2in Curtiss Electric prop and has no underwing shackles, which didn't arrive until the D-15 which had a strengthened wing spar.

Not sure what I'm going to build next, but I'd better get on with it as my kit stash is growing, despite having completed four models this year. We won't ask what goes on behind closed cupboard doors.... :shock: :lol:

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Wow.

:)

Hook

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

WOW indeed!

Was it a Halesworth based bird?

From memory the LM birds where the first in the UK with the Razorback Thunderbolts and based over at Halesworth inventing the Thunderbolt tactics almost on the fly as they worked out how to fight and win over Europe.

cheers,
Lewis

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”