Oil Pressure Drop in my Bonanza Mid Flight

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
RageShade1
Staff Sergeant

Oil Pressure Drop in my Bonanza Mid Flight

Post by RageShade1 »

Just had what i believe to be a bearing or oil pump issue mid flight. She was a used aircraft with dirty black oil and a yellow oil pump, Ive let the filter get red. Noticed CHT climbing and looked at the oil pressure, Shes down to 29-31psi was about 45-47psi before at cruise. Still holding cruise speeds though so im gonna keep goin. Image

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Oil Pressure Drop in my Bonanza Mid Flight

Post by Scott - A2A »

Let us know what the cause was.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

RageShade1
Staff Sergeant

Post by RageShade1 »

Was as i suspected a main bearing failure, By the time i set down a few hours later it was holding 25-27psi of pressure and could only hit about 2200rpm stopped on the ground, But it not seized yet, Still runs and flies so im going to keep goin lol Image

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

RageShade1 wrote: 13 May 2020, 18:35 Was as i suspected a main bearing failure, By the time i set down a few hours later it was holding 25-27psi of pressure and could only hit about 2200rpm stopped on the ground, But it not seized yet, Still runs and flies so im going to keep goin lol
Keep us updated. I'd like to hear how this story turns out. How's it doing power-wise?

RageShade1
Staff Sergeant

Post by RageShade1 »

Its fairly down on power, Full climb power at 500ft/min is around 80-85 knots, Can still manage around 130 knot cruise at 2500rpm though, Oil pressures enough to keep from seizing, I did a test and pulled prop pitch all the way back from max and oil pressure dropped to 4psi doing it haha.

RageShade1
Staff Sergeant

Post by RageShade1 »

As a side note an engine in this shape would be making a bunch of noise while running wouldn't it?, Any chance of getting big end knock effects lol

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

RageShade1 wrote: 13 May 2020, 19:30 As a side note an engine in this shape would be making a bunch of noise while running wouldn't it?, Any chance of getting big end knock effects lol
I don't think it would be making any noise. The bearings are worn down to the point of not being able to make enough resistance for the oil pressure and also the cylinders are allowing air to pass by.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”