Installation path

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
SSI01
Airman

Installation path

Post by SSI01 »

This pertains to multiple aircraft, although it's the same topic pertaining to each of them. Since there were so many aircraft affected, I figured this might be the best place to post my question.

I have the following A2A aircraft installed on my system:

B377 Stratocruiser (original release)
B377 Captain of the Ship
P-47 Razorback
B-17 Flying Fortress
Supermarine Spitfire
P-40 Warhawk
P-51 Military Mustang
North American T-6 Texas
Captain of the Ship Lockheed L-049 Constellation

Your auto-installer for some reasons points all installations for your products to a file in my "G" drive called "Microsoft FSX" which contains only the fsx.exe file.

I have a number of iterations of FSX installed on my machine due to having so many aircraft installed. This is the only way I can keep time below 45 minutes between choosing choosing an aircraft to fly from the appropriate FSX page, until my selection appears and I can select the "fly now" button.

All payware prop aircraft are located in one iteration of FSX called "Microsoft FSX Prop" that is located on "E" drive. I can not get the installer to point in that direction despite manually inserting the correct path whenever installing one of your products.

When installing the AT-6 this evening reference was made to the advisability of installing an update/core file that was available from the Forums page on your site. I have downloaded the May 11 update but can not currently install it.

Is there a procedure to follow to either point the installer toward the iteration of FSX that contains all of the aircraft shown above - or into a "neutral" folder that will hold all updates until they can be installed?

Thanks

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Installation path

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello SSI01,

The installers will try to use the Windows Registry to determine where the simulator is installed: this is a kind of index to files in the operating system.

However, it sounds like you have a very unusual setup if you've created multiple installations of FSX. It is possible to have concurrent installations of the disk edition of FSX and the Steam edition, but as you say "a number of iterations" this suggest more than two so I wonder if you're manually copying and pasting the installation directory or something along those lines?

If so, it's very difficult to make sure installers and updaters do their job properly as they're designed for a regular FSX installation where all of the aircraft are in the same folder. However, the FSX Accu-Sim Update does allow you to browse to a directory other than the one referenced by the Windows Registry as shown.

Annotation 2020-05-13 082329.png
Annotation 2020-05-13 082329.png (9.74 KiB) Viewed 462 times

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

SSI01
Airman

Post by SSI01 »

OK Nick, I saw that last night and couldn't follow through but I'll give it another try today.

SSI01
Airman

Post by SSI01 »

OK, installation did not "take." None of the affected aircraft were detected by the installer in "E" drive.

"Microsoft FSX Prop" is the only copy of FSX on "E" drive. There are 19 total iterations on three drives. Again, however, all A2A aircraft are on one FSX install on one of the drives (E drive).

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

I'm not sure I follow when you say "there are 19 total iterations on three drives" SSI01. Do you actually mean you have 19 concurrent installations of the whole FSX file structure on one PC?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”