Engines difference

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Artur
Staff Sergeant

Engines difference

Post by Artur »

Is there any difference between Merlin engines simulation implemented in Spitfire and P51 ?

Thanks
Artur

HE11DUDE04
Staff Sergeant

Re: Engines difference

Post by HE11DUDE04 »

Yes they are different engines but made by the same company. The P 51 engine came later and is more advanced and easier to cool and the spitfire one is more primal and requires more thinking to keep it cool.
AKA "Memey"

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Artur,

Yes, lots of differences and in fact they're different engine made by different companies: the V-1650 in the P-51D was built under licence in the US by the Packard Motor Car Company.

The Merlin in the Spitfire I and II uses a single-speed, single-stage supercharger, and in the case of the Merlin Mk.II in the early Mk.I Spits, develops some 1030 hp. The Packard V-1650 Merlin in the P-51D (which is essential a licence built Merlin XX) has a two-speed supercharger and produces closer to 1400 hp.

And, as HE11DUDE04 says, it's not just the engine itself which is different but the cooling system in the P-51 is vastly more sophisticated. There are also very significant differences in things like the design of the propeller too.

So, in short, there are loads of differences which are simulated. :)

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

thanks for answers, that will help me to make my choice :-)

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Arthur, way back when when these were being developed and I was most eager for the P-51 (and least interested in the Spitfire) I bought the Spitfire to give support and because it was completed first. I'm glad I did because it is a very interesting, challenging and fun aircraft to fly. The overall package is fantastic and arguably the best of the A2A fighters. I love the P-51 also, but if I had to rank the products by their "special sauce" the Spitfire would be #1, followed by P-40 and P-47, then P-51. But that's just my opinion.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

HE11DUDE04
Staff Sergeant

Post by HE11DUDE04 »

Nick - A2A wrote: 12 May 2020, 06:13 Hello Artur,

Yes, lots of differences and in fact they're different engine made by different companies: the V-1650 in the P-51D was built under licence in the US by the Packard Motor Car Company.

The Merlin in the Spitfire I and II uses a single-speed, single-stage supercharger, and in the case of the Merlin Mk.II in the early Mk.I Spits, develops some 1030 hp. The Packard V-1650 Merlin in the P-51D (which is essential a licence built Merlin XX) has a two-speed supercharger and produces closer to 1400 hp.

And, as HE11DUDE04 says, it's not just the engine itself which is different but the cooling system in the P-51 is vastly more sophisticated. There are also very significant differences in things like the design of the propeller too.

So, in short, there are loads of differences which are simulated. :)

Thanks,
Nick
I genuinely thought they were both Rolls Royce I should probably do more research lol
AKA "Memey"

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

Today i have bought P51 civilian, cause i like cross country flights, so autopilot and modern avionics prevailed.
I am more than sure that Spit sooner or later will stay in my hangar next to P51 :-)

HE11DUDE04
Staff Sergeant

Post by HE11DUDE04 »

Artur wrote: 12 May 2020, 13:24 Today i have bought P51 civilian, cause i like cross country flights, so autopilot and modern avionics prevailed.
I am more than sure that Spit sooner or later will stay in my hangar next to P51 :-)
Good choice I have both P 51's but strongly prefer the Mil but may start flying the civ in the future
AKA "Memey"

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”