Best wishes to everyone

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Best wishes to everyone

Post by AviationAtWar »

It's hard at this point to know how much panic was actually necessary (and I do think the cancellations and closings in the US probably should have happened a couple weeks sooner) but nonetheless this is a pretty scary time. Coronavirus hasn't hit my area yet but I know it's inevitable - especially considering a coworker thought it was a good idea to fly out west for a concert last week :roll: . I have three kids, one that's ten months old, and am worried about picking it up and bringing it home before I even know that I have it.

Stay safe everybody!

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Best wishes to everyone

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

My sister went to Disneyland.When she got there they closed it.
Hyper-mobility is the main culprit no doubt with this virus.
I took buses in the past 3 days and on every one of them there was a woman who was ill coughing .
Hopefully I won't become ill because of these inconsiderate people
Sick people should not be allowed on public transit.
They should be arrested (should be a quick law on that) and quarantined and tested instead.
I am going to limit trips that I take on the bus and I might chose to walk instead or ride a bike
Yes I noticed all the alcohol,bleach etc sold out in the supermarkets.
People are stocking up desperately.
I am growing more food crops in my backyard.
Right now I have a lot of them under grow lights. for the next month at least.
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

In the county where I live in southern Oregon there are four confirmed cases, but little panic. We are only going out for necessities and we are retired and taking it easy. I suspect this thing will burn out in the early summer so there is reason for hope but of course no one knows for sure. WYH (wash your hands.)
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

642 confirmed cases in Washington state and 40 deaths so far as of Saturday 3/14/ 2020

rhenson529
Senior Airman

Post by rhenson529 »

I'm currently 5 miles from the Life Center home in Kirkland, WA. It's been a little scary here as almost everything is in lock own and hoarding supplies at local stores. At work, we are having a lot of people work from home. However, I'm the global IT manager and have had to scramble getting equipment out for employees to work remotely. Just trying to keep my employees safe in the process.
As for home, my wife and I started a kitchen remodel. They just installed the cupboards but none of the appliances. Now the company won't send out anyone due to the pandemic so we have no appliances to cook on or with. Luckily we still have a fridge and a barbecue. Life in WA. :)

Ron
A2A Planes: Cub, 172, 182, Cherokee, Comanche, Bonanza,T6, 377, Spitfire, and P51
Hardware: i7 (5.0 ghz) 32 GB 3000Ghz; RTX 2080ti; 1TB PCIe M.2; 1TB PCIe M.2

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

I wonder if anyone has calculated how the indirect deaths caused by damage the hysteria does to the global society, economic or otherwise, compare to the estimated projections of the numbers directly falling to the very infection.

-Esa

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Wow another story on the same day on Saturday March 14th 42 deaths and 769 confirmed cases

https://komonews.com/news/coronavirus/w ... -642-cases

Now the Governor is ordering all bars,entertainment and recreation facilities and restaurants in the state to shut down (except for restaurant take out and delivery) Sunday March 15th,2020

https://komonews.com/news/coronavirus/i ... ne-stop-it

These scary times kind of remind me of October 1962 with the Cuban Missile Crises but in a different way.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Personally i think the world is over reacting on the covid 19 , look at the statistics , all deaths are with those who have underlaying health issues , most might not even know they have it .
The world has had more dangerous illnesses , only difference is in the speed of the news about outbreaks these days , and it is causing un necessary panic and the world is heading for a global recession due to stock market panic , with borders closing down , air and ship travel coming to a grinding halt , it is only escallating shortages of food and medical drugs , the very things we need to help fight the bug.
regards alan. 8)

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

alan CXA651 wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 08:01 [...]and the world is heading for a global recession due to stock market panic , with borders closing down , air and ship travel coming to a grinding halt , it is only escallating shortages of food and medical drugs , the very things we need to help fight the bug.
That's precisely what is happening.

In particular within the industries that are most seriously affected, speaking of aviation in particular, the focus should absolutely be on making somewhat coordinated survival of what makes it through - and more or less euthanize the companies who will end up to be the eventual casualties in at least somewhat controlled fashion. It remains to be seen how many big ones will fall.

An article by CAPA.

-Esa

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

The thing that infuriates me is not everyone who is hoarding food, toilet paper, etc is doing it because they want them for themselves--they're "flipping" them at a markup for a quick buck.

In addition to restaurants closed for dining in, WSU has moved to online courses for the remainder of the semester. Pullman is a near-ghost town and looks to stay that way until May. I haven't even seen anyone at my workplace today.

Best wishes from me to you all to getting through this.

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Good article here I saw a few days ago

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... tid=pm_pop

I know that it's proposed to have a National Shutdown for 14 days.
Yes I also saw the bidding wars on eBay too for 70% alcohol etc.
We should all wear space suits or hazmat suits during the meantime.
Last edited by JJB17463rdBombGroup on 16 Mar 2020, 11:54, edited 2 times in total.

wblackret
Staff Sergeant

Post by wblackret »

Best wishes to everyone! I have my own reservations as to why this has happened, but I will not address that here. I hope that all will recover physically and financially in a timely manner. This is awful and there is no one not touched in some way by this pandemic. Please be safe!
Bill Black

C172,C182,250 Comanche,J3 Cub,P-40,Bonanza
MSFS, P3Dv4.5
JETLINE GT2
W10,Z390 PRO MB,9TH GEN I7 9700K 4.9 GHZ (OC),KRAKEN M22 120 MHZ CPU LC,32 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 3200 GHZ RAM, EVGA 8 GB RTX 2070 SUPER,850 WATT CORSAIR PS,2TB CORSAIR SSD.

attilla
Senior Airman

Post by attilla »

AviationAtWar wrote: 14 Mar 2020, 19:02 It's hard at this point to know how much panic was actually necessary (and I do think the cancellations and closings in the US probably should have happened a couple weeks sooner) but nonetheless this is a pretty scary time. Coronavirus hasn't hit my area yet but I know it's inevitable - especially considering a coworker thought it was a good idea to fly out west for a concert last week :roll: . I have three kids, one that's ten months old, and am worried about picking it up and bringing it home before I even know that I have it.

Stay safe everybody!
Actually, children seem do be almost imune to the disease, but are great virus vectors, even more so to elderly people. Keep children and old people apart.
As a doctor on the first line of contact, I can say that the experiences in other countries like Italy and Spain are no small feat when dealing with massive numbers of serious sick people without the material and human resources to cope with in a short time period.
Portugal just got the first death by COVID-19 today. Look how Macau solved the problem.
Yes its true that the majority of deaths are elderly, but think of your grandparents, parents, brothers, sisters, mother in law (errrr, leave it!, neighbours, friends, that can be killed directly or indirectly by the health system colapse.
Keep safe, wash, wash and wash yours hands (no need to pay lots of cash for a fancy alcohol solution) and don't sneeze or cough to the air, but to your arm, blocking virus dispersion.

A fellow virtual pilot
One only starts to live after seeing the Elephant.

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

I went to hospital this weekend to get the ticker checked. I was helped by maybe 10 personnel while there and I asked each one the same question. "What do you think of this virus and the panic that is happening"? Each gave the same reaction; "It's Just The Flu"! as they roll their eyes in disbelief. Yes, like any other flu season... wash your hands and no licking doorknobs in public. The way this is being played out in the media certainly seems like a diversion to me.
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

WB_FlashOver wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 19:47 I went to hospital this weekend to get the ticker checked. I was helped by maybe 10 personnel while there and I asked each one the same question. "What do you think of this virus and the panic that is happening"? Each gave the same reaction; "It's Just The Flu"! as they roll their eyes in disbelief. Yes, like any other flu season... wash your hands and no licking doorknobs in public. The way this is being played out in the media certainly seems like a diversion to me.
From what I have heard it's like a ordinary Flu (it is one) except that the lethality rate is 10 times higher and apparently a vaccine will be available against it for those (who are very lucky ) not previously infected a year to a year and a half away.

I found this.

"For now, although the total number of infections worldwide is unknown, experts estimate, crudely, that the virus has a mortality rate between 0.5 per cent and two per cent. The flu, which kills, on average, between twenty thousand and forty thousand people each year in this country alone, has a mortality rate of 0.1 per cent."

Story here.
https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-des ... us-vaccine

Coronavirus essential reads.
https://blog.getpocket.com/2020/03/coro ... ket-newtab

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”