Suggestion: A2A Update

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Neon
Technical Sergeant

Suggestion: A2A Update

Post by Neon »

Hey,

Would it be possible for you to setup the update tool to just auto download any found updates for found aircraft.
Be really nice to just set and forget and leave it to update rather than discovering the update tool has been reopened
for the latest found aircraft, n has been sitting waiting to be pressed. There's no real reason for it to not be fully
automatic. Or, you could provide a list of installed planes, and tick boxes to auto apply patches.

Thanks

Neon

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Suggestion: A2A Update

Post by Nick - A2A »

Neon,

We choose not to deploy updates automatically as this can be a rather intrusive process: either updates are applied in the background without the user being consulted, or the user is interrupted when the update process runs.

However, if you'd prefer the update checks for A2A add-ons for Prepar3D v4 to be triggered automatically, you can do this via the Windows Task Scheduler. This program lets you select 'triggers' such as a weekly schedule, and you just need to define 'actions' to run the updater.exe for each aircraft you have installed. These can be found in "C:\Program Files (x86)\A2A Simulations".

The pics below show an example of how you could set this up.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

Now that's what I call an elegant solution!! :idea: Duly bookmarked!!! :D
--
Image--Image

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Very nice. You can do the same sort of thing with a batch file, like the one Mikelab6 posted. Still, it would be very useful if each update terminated itself on completion. You know. For those of us who are to lazy to click "OK" several times. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqVhKWYJLR4

Steve.

Pistonpilot
Technical Sergeant

Post by Pistonpilot »

I think Neon's original request (correct me if I'm wrong) was to eliminate the multiple clicks from the batch updater for FSX. I no longer use FSX personally, but I do remember being frustrated with having to sit at my computer and be ready to click "ok" for each A2A aircraft found by the installer and then wait to click "ok" again after a minute or two of downloading. When I owned all of them and they all need updates such as during a fresh install, I'd have to make a cup of tea and a sandwich and enjoy them while staring at the update tool so as to avoid it waiting for me to say "ok" 10 times instead of just set-and-forget downloading everything after I agreed to start the updater in the first place. Mostly a problem for those of us with slower Internet connections, I'll admit, but still potentially annoying.

- Ian C

DWC Alumni. Commercial Instrument Single/Multi-Engine Land. [Former] Police, Fire, & 9-1-1 Dispatcher. [Former] MAINEiac Crew Chief.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Totally automatic would be fine by me. I would trust A2A not to infiltrate my PC with something nefarious. As long as I, or a task scheduler can control when it happens.

To expand. It seems a bit pointless to me, asking me if I want to update, when I run the updater specifically to look for and install updates. If I don't want to update, I don't run the updater.

Steve.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”