Migrate from C drive

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
LouP
Senior Airman

Migrate from C drive

Post by LouP »

What is the easiest way to migrate all my installed A2A aircraft from my C drive to another disc?

Thank you,
LouP

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Migrate from C drive

Post by MarcE »

uninstal / instal

don't drag and drop.

you can backup your .dat files though to save your aircraft hours and states.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Yes, please uninstall and reinstall if you wish to move your A2A fleet to a new drive LouP. Any other method will break file paths in the Windows registry.

Once you've uninstalled, check that there are no leftover files and if there are, delete the entire "Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\A2A" folder and then launch P3D once to allow it to rebuilt its add-ons.cfg files before reinstalling.

You log.dat files for the aircraft won't be affected by this process (they're written to the "Documents\A2A" directory which you should leave intact) so you'll be able to retain the persistent state and airframe/engine hours of each aircraft.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Or you could move your "Documents" folder off C: completely onto a larger drive. Thus moving everything therein, including your Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder, complete with all installed aircraft and avoiding re-installing anything.

How to Move Your Documents Folder Location in Windows 10

Steve.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

As mentioned above Steve, moving the Documents folder when add-ons are already installed in it will break Windows registry paths for installed add-ons. It'll also cause issues with other related programs which use file paths to find installed folders and files: for example, the A2A update installer and Prepar3D itself.

Just to reiterate for the OP, you really should uninstall any A2A aircraft in the Documents folder before moving it.

If you did move the Documents folder without uninstalling stuff, you could try using a symbolic link to point to it, but I don't think this technique would necessarily be foolproof.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Strange. Is it a Win 10 thing perhaps as I don't recall a problem in 7. Guess I'll find out soon enough when I try and set-up 10.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

If you move the Documents folder when first setting up Windows it's not a problem Steve. The complications arise when doing it with a bunch of stuff already installed into the folder.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Yes your right. I just realised that I set-up a symbolic link on my Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder, a few years after moving my Documents folder. So that tracks.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Just to re-iterate what Nick said. Do not move your Documents folder. It does not work. UN-install and re-install what you want to move.

I have a new system coming so I have nothing to lose by giving it a go. And I just love tinkering. :lol:

So I moved my Documents folder and lost all my A2A aircraft and some custom installed scenery files. It's surprising also, how many short-cuts I've created over the years and yes, they don't work either.

Steve.

:mrgreen:

Edit: I moved it back and it works again. A new fact to squirrel away.
Last edited by bladerunner900 on 31 Jan 2020, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

he asked for the easiest way.. :P

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

MarcE wrote: 31 Jan 2020, 16:33 he asked for the easiest way.. :P
Move the A2A folder and alter the path in the add-ons.cfg file with that new path. It works, I've tried it.

Or, un-install and re-install.

Or, move the A2A folder and use a symbolic link to it. (I can't resist it) :P

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

bladerunner900 wrote: 31 Jan 2020, 17:18 Move the A2A folder and alter the path in the add-ons.cfg file with that new path. It works, I've tried it.
It only "works" inasmuch as the aircraft can be loaded in the sim. It's when you try to update or uninstall them that you'll have problems. Here's a recent example.

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

LouP
Senior Airman

Post by LouP »

Thanks, guys. I figured as much but was hoping for an easier method that would work. I get it, guess I have a weekend project for myself ;-)

LouP

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

bladerunner900 wrote: 31 Jan 2020, 17:18
MarcE wrote: 31 Jan 2020, 16:33 he asked for the easiest way.. :P
Move the A2A folder and alter the path in the add-ons.cfg file with that new path. It works, I've tried it.

Or, un-install and re-install.

Or, move the A2A folder and use a symbolic link to it. (I can't resist it) :P
Lol yep... there IS indeed a windows feature to move folders to another drive, I moved the whole documents folder as my system drive c: is only 128GB. But I had to reinstall all my addons that had been installed into the addons folder.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

I just moved and linked the Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder. In theory, you could move the whole Documents folder with everything in it. Then link the old location to the new with a Symbolic Link. In effect, your putting up a diversion sign in your system, redirecting the OS from where it was to where it actually is. The system is none the wiser and continues as normal. Saves a lot of bother with UN-installing and RE-installing. It can all be set-up at the command prompt, but I use Junction Link Magic. It's free and has a friendly GUI. I hope to use it, or something similar in Windows 10.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”