A2A, talk to us about Episode 3 MSFS

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: A2A, talk to us about Episode 3 MSFS

Post by MarcE »

None of the airplanes I flew would have been started using their checklists as a step-to-step tutorial. That‘s what manuals are for. Use of a checklist guarantees, as its name suggests - that you have checked everything important to savely operate the airplane. There‘s simply no „mixture full, prime 3 strokes, mags both, starter push“ in a checklist. But that‘s exactly some devs have called a checklist.

Anyway, as noted above, this might be helpful for people who are about to start their sim adventure and is not a general function.

But yes, often checklists vary a lot. We had a before takeoff checklist that didn‘t namely ask for cowl flaps but said „engine parameters - checked and managed“ :D

Kilstorm
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kilstorm »

Honestly, I feel that checklist version in the coming sim will benefit the Xbox users the most since PC users can easily assign various hardware controls to do the same.
i9-13900K O/C | ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | 32GB DDR5 6000MHz Kingston FURY | RTX 4090 24GB | 2x SSD M.2 (2TB Samsung 990 PRO) 1x SSD (4TB Samsung 870 EVO) | Windows 11 Home | H20: HydroLux PRO:HardLine Tubing| 1000w PSU

ImpendingJoker
Staff Sergeant

Post by ImpendingJoker »

Kilstorm wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 14:50 Honestly, I feel that checklist version in the coming sim will benefit the Xbox users the most since PC users can easily assign various hardware controls to do the same.
I don't think it will be just for the Xbox users. As I stated in a previous posts, we hardcore simmers are ~not the target market. If it is as good as they say, they will already have ~our money. No, they want to broaden their reach and bring in the casual flyers, those whom, just want to take off fly over their house, and the close the program. They are also targeting the gamers. Sure there a few gamers such as myself that go back and forth between FSX/P3D and Ace Combat 7, but there are those out there that have only flown Ace Combat 7 that like airplanes but have maybe found the prospect of flying in a real world environment too daunting. That is the people that this little "hand hold" is targeted after, and there is nothing wrong with it. Not one among us got into aviation knowing everything, and hell a feature like this back in the day of FS5 would have been a God send.
MarcE wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 12:46 None of the airplanes I flew would have been started using their checklists as a step-to-step tutorial. That‘s what manuals are for. Use of a checklist guarantees, as its name suggests - that you have checked everything important to savely operate the airplane. There‘s simply no „mixture full, prime 3 strokes, mags both, starter push“ in a checklist. But that‘s exactly some devs have called a checklist.

Anyway, as noted above, this might be helpful for people who are about to start their sim adventure and is not a general function.

But yes, often checklists vary a lot. We had a before takeoff checklist that didn‘t namely ask for cowl flaps but said „engine parameters - checked and managed“ :D
Yes, checklists are not verbatim the manual, however some actually are laminated engine start procedures straight from the manual. I have found the latter usually on planes used by student pilots and flight schools, but they are out there. Even flight instructors vary a LOT. Some are very hands on. Other will pretty much take the attitude that as long as you don't get them killed they will let you screw up by the numbers till you ask for help. Have found that different people react to these different type of instructors differently as well. Which is why it is important to shop around(if you can) for an instructor that meets YOUR needs and isn't just filling his log book.
Paul

Part 65 certified Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic
Part 107 certified Remote Pilot in Command
Part 147 Instructor

Stearmandriver
Senior Airman

Post by Stearmandriver »

MarcE wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 12:46 None of the airplanes I flew would have been started using their checklists as a step-to-step tutorial. That‘s what manuals are for. Use of a checklist guarantees, as its name suggests - that you have checked everything important to savely operate the airplane. There‘s simply no „mixture full, prime 3 strokes, mags both, starter push“ in a checklist. But that‘s exactly some devs have called a checklist.

FWIW, there are quite a variety of checklist styles used in general aviation. The one you describe here - "mixture-rich, prime-3 strokes (cold)" e.t.c - absolutely exists and is common. It's intended to be a tool that can be used both after the fact, to ensure no omissions, and as a procedure review before performing. The Cessnas at the local airport have this style of checklist, and when I rent one I use them this way. I've got over 15,000 hours in the air, fly for a living and am typed in several transport aircraft, but I sure don't mind a quick review for an aircraft I don't fly often. About the only aircraft I don't use a checklist on is a Stearman, because it's dirt simple, I maintain an instructional level of proficiency in it... and there's not really anywhere to put one ;).

But there's no need to go knocking a "read and do" style of check (or review) list in aviation. Any style of checklist usage is an opportunity to trap or prevent errors and that's always good!

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Stearmandriver wrote: 06 Dec 2019, 06:32

FWIW, there are quite a variety of checklist styles used in general aviation. The one you describe here - "mixture-rich, prime-3 strokes (cold)" e.t.c - absolutely exists and is common. It's intended to be a tool that can be used both after the fact, to ensure no omissions, and as a procedure review before performing. The Cessnas at the local airport have this style of checklist, and when I rent one I use them this way. I've got over 15,000 hours in the air, fly for a living and am typed in several transport aircraft, but I sure don't mind a quick review for an aircraft I don't fly often. About the only aircraft I don't use a checklist on is a Stearman, because it's dirt simple, I maintain an instructional level of proficiency in it... and there's not really anywhere to put one ;).

But there's no need to go knocking a "read and do" style of check (or review) list in aviation. Any style of checklist usage is an opportunity to trap or prevent errors and that's always good!
there's a "like" button missing here =) thx for the heads up

einherz
Master Sergeant

Post by einherz »

i think, checklist in mfs just for show noobs like me where stuff live, when you check some, this "some" go blue light, and i think all this will optional in any way, so i do not understand why so much posts about this... most important, from i first time seen mfs2020 i stoped flight p3d so i do not fly very long time, as after watch first video my face was same as oh long johnson cat, so every time i watch new video i say why i eyes ya with same face, as can not start p3d, as know there no same sky as in mfs2020... and this is sad... and i here for read some from a2a guys, and other guys about mfs, please no more about checklist :(
rank is not classified airman - forum's engine glitch(again!)

ImpendingJoker
Staff Sergeant

Post by ImpendingJoker »

einherz wrote: 06 Dec 2019, 16:20 i think, checklist in mfs just for show noobs like me where stuff live, when you check some, this "some" go blue light, and i think all this will optional in any way, so i do not understand why so much posts about this... most important, from i first time seen mfs2020 i stoped flight p3d so i do not fly very long time, as after watch first video my face was same as oh long johnson cat, so every time i watch new video i say why i eyes ya with same face, as can not start p3d, as know there no same sky as in mfs2020... and this is sad... and i here for read some from a2a guys, and other guys about mfs, please no more about checklist :(
You are correct einherz, this is exactly the reason for, and you are also absolutely right about it being 100% optional. To be honest though a review of fundamentals is not a bad thing at all. For me for example, at the Part 147 school I teach at, I love to use our Beech Sundowner to teach engine start up in a real airplane as opposed to just using the engine run stands as not only is it vital for the students to see how things work in a real airplane but also to see the difference in the start up procedures and checklist used for each.(also the thing just purrs at idle and the students love to our planes run, it always draws a crowd from the hangar.) We use the actual manual for the Sundowner along with a supplemental checklist that the school has created to check for other safety factors since we are in a teaching environment. The startup check list on the engine stands is a step by step startup with a couple of added things not found on a plane such as Checking the Safety P-leads that we attach to the mags to keep them from producing a spark, again as a safety measure since our students are a curious lot and like to look over the engines when they have a spare moment and they are not in use. Check lists vary widely and are used for many things.
Paul

Part 65 certified Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic
Part 107 certified Remote Pilot in Command
Part 147 Instructor

einherz
Master Sergeant

Post by einherz »

thx, very interest answer, i gone play my far crys-crysises cycle till new mfs will out :) really hope in new sim will air carriers and rhino from vrs and i just do not even want imagine this sim without mustang, spitfire, thunderbolt a2a accusim quality... actually, if only one p-51d as sole plane will in this sim i will ok, but without some sport's and military ac fighters, modern and from wwii period, this will very very sad, as i long time fight in il-2 sturmovik and fb, and used to be in speed, manuvers and variable altitude, long time not need to fight, but still need to flight same style, but flight every where with real time/weather condition
rank is not classified airman - forum's engine glitch(again!)

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”