DMMS - Defined Minimum Maneuvering Speed

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
jclay13
Senior Airman

DMMS - Defined Minimum Maneuvering Speed

Post by jclay13 »

Good video and very informative. Who doesn't love watching Flight Chops get his biennial. What a humble guy and always learning.

https://youtu.be/m_tKShlf_gU

rod55
Staff Sergeant

Re: DMMS - Defined Minimum Maneuvering Speed

Post by rod55 »

Many thanks for sending us this valuable and charismatic link on DMMS. Sorry for slow but well deserved reply.

I can imagine the tendency to rescue the yolk towards the body or at least to hesitate before the bolder life-saving push of yolk away to recover/increase much needed pre-stall speed.

Not for the first time I am impressed/drilled by the motto "ABOVE ALL, FLY THE PLANE!" even at the expense of pissing off an impatient, pushy ATC OR looking downwards to read a data display; these can wait.

Rod
EGBB …...its quiet..... too quiet

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

This is a very good film and educational as well. I have to say that as much as I hate to admit it there are instructors teaching today who DON'T teach these things. I have, and always did teach these things. It's called teaching beyond the test requirements. Of course NOW the FAA is catching up but for years this type of training was NOT on the training syllabus. Instructors had to know these things and teach their students accordingly.
Many didn't ! And STILL don't! Truly unfortunate.
All we have here on this film is a demonstration of what SHOULD be a part of every pilot's skill set. First how to expect and handle startle factor, and secondly, to establish an arbitrary airspeed calculated to allow margin above stall that includes compensation for a 30 degree bank. Simple enough, but you would be amazed how many pilots have never approached engine failure this way.
Dudley Henriques

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Smashing video and very VERY informative! I just wish more and more would embrace the beautiful technology we have as simmers. Maybe the new MS sim will help this because and lets face it, the Airlines also check out on sims. There is a chance we have all flown on commercial airline flights where it was a member of the crews first time on the actual aircraft.

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”