Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 - News and Footage

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 - News and Footage

Post by Jigsaw »

There is plenty of new footage and information being posted today, coming from a preview event with an embargo that lifted today. Here what Frooglesim and Flightchops had to show and I say, it's darn impressive!

Happy Landings
- Patrick

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 - News and Footage

Post by Medtner »

I was just about to post these too.

We live in the best of times for FS, and while I’ll remain on the fence until A2A is on board (or, indeed, FSXX can be demonstrated to have the fidelity of AccuSim built in - which I find highly unlikely). I’m flying FlightSim primarily because of A2As masterful AccuSim, and only scenery and other things secondly. So they have big shoes to fill, or they better have good third party support for A2A to make use of.

I didn’t catch who the other VIPs were there - and they may have had other events for developers separately, but if A2A aren’t involved in this, but FlightChops IS??? I love FlightChops, and I found his perspective to be interesting, but he has only marginal and very newly added experience with modern flight sims. He isn’t in any position to distinguish what current sims can do or not. There can a bit of Dunning-Kruger going on here, even with his humble approach. I need to see the developers who knows the nuts and bolts to be involved, not easily “duped” consumers (including myself).

That said, FSXX looks great. Indeed!
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Alfredson007
Technical Sergeant

Post by Alfredson007 »

Fligchops seems pretty blown away too.

I'm superglad that this sim seems to be what i've hoped, hc civ sim with truly modern tech. Pretty sure i never have to re-install fsx ever again and about time. (still have it and will fly it tho)

BrettT
Staff Sergeant

Post by BrettT »

It looks really good. I am just very disappointed that it will not support VR out of the box so will likely spend my time in DCS and P3DV4 until it does then will check it out

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Medtner wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 04:09 I was just about to post these too.

We live in the best of times for FS, and while I’ll remain on the fence until A2A is on board (or, indeed, FSXX can be demonstrated to have the fidelity of AccuSim built in - which I find highly unlikely). I’m flying FlightSim primarily because of A2As masterful AccuSim, and only scenery and other things secondly. So they have big shoes to fill, or they better have good third party support for A2A to make use of.

I didn’t catch who the other VIPs were there - and they may have had other events for developers separately, but if A2A aren’t involved in this, but FlightChops IS??? I love FlightChops, and I found his perspective to be interesting, but he has only marginal and very newly added experience with modern flight sims. He isn’t in any position to distinguish what current sims can do or not. There can a bit of Dunning-Kruger going on here, even with his humble approach. I need to see the developers who knows the nuts and bolts to be involved, not easily “duped” consumers (including myself).

That said, FSXX looks great. Indeed!
If it helps everybody reading this to understand things better I can tell all of you that I have known Hal Bryan for many years. It was Hal who sponsored my inclusion in the Microsoft "Most Valued Professional" award program. Hal was one of the top people on the ACES Team that did FSX.
Reading what Hal wrote about the new simulator, if I was a betting man I'd bet the farm that when this sim goes gold it will surpass even the most positive expectations.
Dudley Henriques

Buffy Foster

Post by Buffy Foster »

If they actually deliver even half of these features it's going to be pretty a pretty amazing sim! I hope it's open enough that A2A can bring their planes over; I'm making room in my hangar for them... :)

Hobart Escin

Post by Hobart Escin »

Microsoft is certainly pushing the visuals here for obvious reasons, but I don't think I'll ever fully trust them to release a version of Flight Simulator that isn't encumbered in some way. Azure technology is breathtaking, but what are the requirements for internet bandwidth and cost of subscriptions? Will we be charged a flat monthly fee or by a pro-rated model based on usage? Hardware requirements to achieve the visuals shown in the clips may bring a lot of us back down to reality too. Also, I'm sure Lockheed Martin are reevaluating their enterprise license of P3D and questioning whether continued investment and development is worth it as Microsoft attempts to recoup the consumer market share all over again. If developers leave the P3D platform in droves to migrate to FS2020, Lockheed's revenue from P3D will plummet.

I dunno. I just wish either X-Plane or DCS had pioneered this new technology instead of Microsoft. I'm glad FSX and P3D are finally in the twilight of their existence though and that a totally new platform is being developed instead of the continual rehashing of FSX legacy code in one form or another.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Hobart Escin wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 21:33 Microsoft is certainly pushing the visuals here for obvious reasons, but I don't think I'll ever fully trust them to release a version of Flight Simulator that isn't encumbered in some way. Azure technology is breathtaking, but what are the requirements for internet bandwidth and cost of subscriptions? Will we be charged a flat monthly fee or by a pro-rated model based on usage? Hardware requirements to achieve the visuals shown in the clips may bring a lot of us back down to reality too. Also, I'm sure Lockheed Martin are reevaluating their enterprise license of P3D and questioning whether continued investment and development is worth it as Microsoft attempts to recoup the consumer market share all over again. If developers leave the P3D platform in droves to migrate to FS2020, Lockheed's revenue from P3D will plummet.

I dunno. I just wish either X-Plane or DCS had pioneered this new technology instead of Microsoft. I'm glad FSX and P3D are finally in the twilight of their existence though and that a totally new platform is being developed instead of the continual rehashing of FSX legacy code in one form or another.
Just a guess but the "subscription" might be necessary due to the necessity that the sim use the cloud to keep the local load on the computers down to a low roar.
I have great trust in Hal Bryan. If he was impressed with what's happening I'd say give Microsoft the benefit of the doubt. I just can't see them investing this deeply in a new simulator destined to fail. I honestly believe that Microsoft want this effort to be successful and for that to happen what they are doing must survive the acceptance of the community.
Dudley Henriques

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

Hobart Escin wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 21:33 ...what are the requirements for internet bandwidth and cost of subscriptions?
I think half the world may not have the internet speeds to run the sim at the level we're looking at. I'm not even sure my 100 Mbps can. As for monthly subscription costs, it would have to be incredibly small given that most of the folks here weren't willing to pay the $200 to own P3D Pro. :mrgreen:

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

patful wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 23:07
Hobart Escin wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 21:33 ...what are the requirements for internet bandwidth and cost of subscriptions?
I think half the world may not have the internet speeds to run the sim at the level we're looking at. I'm not even sure my 100 Mbps can. As for monthly subscription costs, it would have to be incredibly small given that most of the folks here weren't willing to pay the $200 to own P3D Pro. :mrgreen:
The average user does not have to pay for the pro version of P3D. All versions are exactly the same. Only the licensing differs. You can do everything on the student version you can do on the pro version as far as "enjoying the sim" is concerned.
The new Microsoft sim won't require a super computer to run it. They made that mistake with FSX at the time it went gold and I'm sure will not make that mistake again. The average mid-range computer sold today should do just fine and these were in fact used in the tests just released.
I do believe you will need good internet speeds but even this won't require anything above the average being used today.
Dudley Henriques

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 23:28
patful wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 23:07
The average user does not have to pay for the pro version of P3D. All versions are exactly the same. Only the licensing differs. You can do everything on the student version you can do on the pro version as far as "enjoying the sim" is concerned.
The new Microsoft sim won't require a super computer to run it. They made that mistake with FSX at the time it went gold and I'm sure will not make that mistake again. (Trust me on this one as it was me personally who went to war with Microsoft over the issue :-)
The average mid-range computer sold today should do just fine and these were in fact used in the tests just released.
I do believe you will need good internet speeds but even this won't require anything above the average being used today.
Dudley Henriques

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

I'm watching Froogle's video at the moment, and I have to say that it looks fantastic. The one thing that looks awkward is the digital pilot in the Cessna exterior views. But that's a tiny detail.

It's also very good to hear that MS have engaged with the aftermarket community and although no names were mentioned, I can't believe that A2A and Orbx haven't been included in those they're engaging with. And it will have an off line mode, although your scenery won't be so detailed.

A lot of things not yet decided include pricing, possible subscription, and minimum PC specs. That said, apparently it does run on current PC's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj8h6yi ... e=youtu.be

Sounds like this could be a game changer, literally. Hope it works out, because it sounds like MS are trying really hard to give us the sim we've wanted for years.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

TuFun
Senior Airman

Post by TuFun »

There's a series of episodes "Microsoft Flight Simulator Developer Interviews" on the FSElite Youtube channel. Tomorrow will be about episode 2: Aerodynamics & Cockpit

They discuss the option of on-line vs off-line visuals and how little difference it maybe.

Microsoft Flight Simulator Developer Interview - Episode 1: World and Weather

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDTT3oxArLI

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

Dogsbody55 wrote: 01 Oct 2019, 00:14 ... I can't believe that A2A and Orbx haven't been included in those they're engaging with...
Only way I'd buy/rent it is if A2A's on board. Orbx...not so much. I'm hoping addon scenery isn't necessary.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”