Will A2A be devoloping products for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
hazzer111
Airman

Re: Will A2A be devoloping products for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Post by hazzer111 »

Solareagle wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 21:03
bobsk8 wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 21:46 If MS does as good a job with MS2020 as they have done so far with Windows 10 , a few updates, will probably result in it's quick demise. I have zero faith in Microsoft at this point. It's not the company it used to be.
No offense man but you seem to live in a bubble and have developed a strong opinion inside it. There's a reason Windows 10 is the platform of professionals and enterprise. It really is pretty awesome.

And have you seen the media attention FS2020 is getting? Every techie and gamer in the world who's seen it has their interest piqued.
Exactly this. Ms2020 appears to be finally making leaps and bounds in the flight sim world. Just look at the clips they have shown. They have been providing updates ever few weeks as well.

I really don't see the need to be so negative, have some optimism. Then again I imagine this is why people will be happy playing fsx still :roll:

HarryVoyager
Airman

Post by HarryVoyager »

Well, I have to confess, I am rather extremely hyped about what we've seen so far with FS2020. That said, I was utterly stoked about Il-2 Cliffs of Dover too, so it does behove me to keep my enthusiasm in check.

That said, if Microsoft can deliver the world they have promised, and permit the access that have allowed 3D party teams to implement aircraft to the degree they have been able to in FSX, it's going to be very very cool.

And, if they can't, it looks like I can mod together something pretty good from what's been put together based on the FSX lineage.

I actually completely missed the MS Flight thing. I've been almost completely focused on combat flight sims, so while I knew about FSX and X-Plane, my last experience with the MSFS system was Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 2. While it was good, I was jonesing for a modern Aces of the Pacific, and it just could quite scratch that itch.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

I ordered MS2020 Premium DeLuxe arriving close to the end of the next August this year and to check how far can be good graphics. I wish to install A2A Connie and maybe the P3D version would work or to give a try with FSX version installers. Or just wait from A2A a new release of the amazing Connie Constellation.

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

Dang, after watching all the videos today, graphically stunning, but the aircraft movement really looks odd. I think A2A will have their work cut out for them. Or maybe the pilots are just terrible.

gpbarth
Airman First Class

Post by gpbarth »

Hook wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 18:58
bobsk8 wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 17:57 I got all excited about Flight and bought a few DLC. Microsoft saw that it wasn't going to generate a profit and pulled the plug in a New York Second. Expecting the same thing to happen this time.
Imagine what would have happened if the free part of Flight had been included in every Windows install. Sort of like a super Minesweeper. People would have tried it, some would have liked it and bought DLC. It would have introduced flight simming to a LOT of people who never considered it. It would have made money, probably lots of money. It was tailor made for this kind of thing.

When I mentioned in the Flight beta forum that it would be a no-brainer to include Flight in every Windows install, I was told by a Microsoft person "It would take a year to convert it to RT." Say WHAT?? Apparently Microsoft was intending to drop the desktop market at the time and go to the "Run Time" version of Windows on mobile devices. Incredible. Guess what: they dropped RT.

The official version of why Microsoft dropped Flight was "due to the natural ebb and flow". In this case, the idea that they were going to RT, where Flight wouldn't have much chance. The next version of Windows would be developed on a PC, but the version after that would be developed on a Mac, because Microsoft wouldn't have a desktop operating system. Unbelievable.

Flight didn't fail. Microsoft management failed. Balmer was edged out of the company because "he wasn't going to the mobile market quickly enough." Incredible. Well, Microsoft is under new management, has lots of new tech goodies, and MSFS looks to be a technology demo for these. It's not going to go away. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new VR system based on Asobo's augmented reality. They might even bring back a new version of the Sidewinder force feedback controls.

Also, stack ranking is officially gone. It's a wonder that Microsoft could create *anything* with that policy in place. It probably had as much to do with Flight's cancellation as anything, whether directly or indirectly.

This is the story as I understand it.

There was a hate campaign against Flight, which is a story in itself, and it poisoned the well, but was not the reason Flight was cancelled. You still see remnants of it although the originators have moved on. It generated a lot of misconceptions about Flight. There hasn't been an organized hate campaign against MSFS and there probably won't be, which should tell you a lot if you know the story behind it.

Hook
Can I throw a quick observation in here? MS dumped FSX on Valve/Steam and exited the sim world. BUT - they wisely(?) kept the option open to take it back if they ever wanted to. Why? FS2020 is not Flight on steroids. FS2020 is not FSX. It's not P3D and it's not X-Plane. What MS undertook was a massive re-write of flight simulation. Flight dynamics, weather, flying on a server, and scenery! I started out with SubLogic in 1980, and have had every version of FS up to FSX/SE. I've seen and played with P3D and X-Plane.

MSFS2020 is none of these...not even close! And it has included every bell and whistle we all play with: real flight planning (no more Navigraph), real weather (no more Active Sky), cameras (no more EZ-Dok), and real scenery for the entire globe (they're claiming Petabytes of scenery). And they're just now releasing it, so there's a lot of new stuff to come.

Will MS pull the plug on this one? I highly doubt it!
-= Gary =-
MSFS2020, DCS World, A2A Accu-Sim Military & Civilian P-51, Cessna 172, Comanche 250, Win 10 64-bit, I7-7700, ASUS GTX108Ti, 32Gb RAM, 2 2Tb drives.

ImpendingJoker
Staff Sergeant

Post by ImpendingJoker »

gpbarth wrote: 05 Aug 2020, 18:16
bobsk8 wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 17:57 I got all excited about Flight and bought a few DLC. Microsoft saw that it wasn't going to generate a profit and pulled the plug in a New York Second. Expecting the same thing to happen this time.
Imagine what would have happened if the free part of Flight had been included in every Windows install. Sort of like a super Minesweeper. People would have tried it, some would have liked it and bought DLC. It would have introduced flight simming to a LOT of people who never considered it. It would have made money, probably lots of money. It was tailor made for this kind of thing.

When I mentioned in the Flight beta forum that it would be a no-brainer to include Flight in every Windows install, I was told by a Microsoft person "It would take a year to convert it to RT." Say WHAT?? Apparently Microsoft was intending to drop the desktop market at the time and go to the "Run Time" version of Windows on mobile devices. Incredible. Guess what: they dropped RT.

The official version of why Microsoft dropped Flight was "due to the natural ebb and flow". In this case, the idea that they were going to RT, where Flight wouldn't have much chance. The next version of Windows would be developed on a PC, but the version after that would be developed on a Mac, because Microsoft wouldn't have a desktop operating system. Unbelievable.

Flight didn't fail. Microsoft management failed. Balmer was edged out of the company because "he wasn't going to the mobile market quickly enough." Incredible. Well, Microsoft is under new management, has lots of new tech goodies, and MSFS looks to be a technology demo for these. It's not going to go away. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new VR system based on Asobo's augmented reality. They might even bring back a new version of the Sidewinder force feedback controls.

Also, stack ranking is officially gone. It's a wonder that Microsoft could create *anything* with that policy in place. It probably had as much to do with Flight's cancellation as anything, whether directly or indirectly.

There was a hate campaign against Flight, which is a story in itself, and it poisoned the well, but was not the reason Flight was cancelled. You still see remnants of it although the originators have moved on. It generated a lot of misconceptions about Flight. There hasn't been an organized hate campaign against MSFS and there probably won't be, which should tell you a lot if you know the story behind it.

Hook
Can I throw a quick observation in here? MS dumped FSX on Valve/Steam and exited the sim world. BUT - they wisely(?) kept the option open to take it back if they ever wanted to. Why? FS2020 is not Flight on steroids. FS2020 is not FSX. It's not P3D and it's not X-Plane. What MS undertook was a massive re-write of flight simulation. Flight dynamics, weather, flying on a server, and scenery! I started out with SubLogic in 1980, and have had every version of FS up to FSX/SE. I've seen and played with P3D and X-Plane.

MSFS2020 is none of these...not even close! And it has included every bell and whistle we all play with: real flight planning (no more Navigraph), real weather (no more Active Sky), cameras (no more EZ-Dok), and real scenery for the entire globe (they're claiming Petabytes of scenery). And they're just now releasing it, so there's a lot of new stuff to come.

This is not correct. At the time Microsoft was already announcing a complete withdrawal of support for FSX and FSX:Acceleration. In fact a lot of the old codes to install FSX from disk don't even work anymore because of this support being pulled. Some of the newer ones still do but my two, one from FSX, and one from Acceleration no longer do, and at the time FSX was THE simulator of choice, XP9 was the only real competition and XP10 wouldn't be out for a while(personally I think XP10 was the first good version of the program), and Dovetail wisely did (and it was a good thing) what they did with MS Train Simulator and took it over and moved it to Steam and continued to develop it as much as the code would allow(though it would still be a 32bit platform), and they saw that they needed to migrate the code to a new engine, like they did with Train Sim World(which worked), and they did the same thing with Flight Sim World(which failed), but they did the same thing that MS did with Flight. They locked out the 3rd party market(which for some reason Train Sim fans have no issue with but flight sim people are completely turned off by this), FSW was not the MS Flight code that a lot of people thought it was. It was just recycled FSX code in a new engine, and it did ~look good but it ran horribly on most people's systems, and they locked addons behind a wall that only let payware be made for it. The biggest difference between FSW and Flight, is that at its core, Flight had a VERY good simulation engine running in it, where as FSW, did not, and it wasn't worth the price of upgrading to basically just FSX Redeux. Had Dovetail sourced the Flight code, instead, and opened it up to 3rd party freeware development, I think FSW would have replaced FSX and XPlane a long time ago. In the end, Dovetail couldn't pay the fees to keep on developing the code and had to drop FSW(and I suspect that the growing number of people that were going to P3D and XP9(at the time) had something to do with it as well. P3Dv4 is what I think FSW ~would have evolved into if they had kept working on it but, they didn't have the money to throw at it like L-M does.

As for what ever this "campaign against Flight" is about, I have no idea what that is about. I was on the beta team as well, and very vocal and open with my opinions and participated in the beta forums a lot. As a result I got all the DLC for free when it released(except Alaska), and I loved how the runways were not perfectly flat, and how real and accurate the Hawaiian islands looked, it was a marvel, and then...then, they started releasing what was basically planes for gamers. Planes without cockpits, and asking for money that would have bought you a much higher quality aircraft from the Aircraft Factory here at A2A. It was at THAT time that the out cry happened. They drove off the hardcores by making it too game-ish, and they drove off the gamers by making it too boring. So in the end they did it to themselves. Every place I read about Flight, it is always the same thing. Great flight engine, great graphics but, the lack of aircraft, and scenery are a show stopper. When they released the Alaska DLC and charged I think $20, that is when people such as myself and the other hardcores realized, "My God, they are going to try to ~sell us the entire world!", it was at that point that Flight died. There was no smear campaign, just people speaking the truth. To be honest, I wish Flight had continued, as it really was great, and I never did buy Alaska because, well, I had no interest in Alaska(still don't). Had it been Florida or Texas, I'd of been all over it.

This time though, with MSFS: The Sequel: The Reboot: 3, I think they have finally learned from the past mistakes and have figured out that the only thing that has kept flight simulation going at all is the community. Aces Studio knew all of this and made a sandbox for us to play in, and tool box to make more toys to play with. Microsoft Gaming Studio said, "Nuts, to that", and like a little kid, took all their toys home, and only let us play with the broken ones. Asobo, as realized this, and that is why they have been so open about it up until the COVID-19 thing happened, and even then, they did their best to keep the community informed and they kept an open mind about what we as a group truly wanted(still no helicopters but, I've read they are in fact coming), and with A2A developing the Aerostar for it, PMDG bringing their line up to it, and now Vertical Sim developing for MSFS after only ever being an XPlane developer, the future is bright.

We are in a great time in simulation. We still have an aging but actively developed for FSX, P3Dv5 is getting the bugs ironed out and looks great, XPlane 11 with the new Florida Scenery(which I almost converted to just so I could fly it), companies developing planes and scenery for AF2(a great sim in it's own right), DCS:World adding a new free map in the near future, and the up coming Dead Stick flight simulator, we are swimming in our hobby for the first time in decades and this time we are not alone. MSFS became Steams #1 selling game of all time, in just ONE day. That kind of number, sadly, can't be posted by just the hardcore flight sim crowd, and it is an insane statistic. Imagine, that many people WANTING a quality flight simulator. It is staggering. It is a great time to be in the flight simulator community.

(Now, if we can only get EA to remake, Longbow Gold, F-15, F/A-18, USAF, IAF, WWII Fighters, US Navy Fighters, and 688(I).)
Paul

Part 65 certified Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic
Part 107 certified Remote Pilot in Command
Part 147 Instructor

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Good post, Paul.

I don't think you remember just how bad things were, both in the beta forum and in other forums like the one on Avsim. You can still read the Avsim archive for Microsoft Flight to get some idea of what it was like, even after the worst posts were deleted and the posters banned.

Hawaii was excellent, probably couldn't be better. Alaska was... somewhat less so. By the time they released Alaska you could tell things were going downhill. Weeks of the daily aerocache being gold dredges. Mesh problems. I like flying in Alaska, but Flight's Alaska was just boring. Flight's Hawaii was far from boring. Lots of activities there. I wish we could have seen the next planned area, the Grand Canyon.

The hate campaign started long before the later releases of aircraft without cockpits. I had no use for those but some people preferred flying that way, even if the aircraft had a cockpit. Those aircraft were in the $5 range, far cheaper than A2A Aircraft Factory, and even the aircraft with cockpits were about $7.50 if my memory serves. I bought all the aircraft with cockpits; those were excellent.

I hated to see Flight go, but in the end it was just too limited and I'd already gone back to FSX just so I could fly my favorite aircraft in real world weather out of my favorite airports... which weren't in Hawaii or Alaska. :) Part of that decision was the realization that Flight was in reality a Super Minesweeper, not a flight sim. And I'd already done everything there was to be done in Flight.

Hook

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

gpbarth wrote: 05 Aug 2020, 18:16[...] real flight planning (no more Navigraph), real weather (no more Active Sky), [...]
Pardon me on side tracking here, but have these been confirmed to be subscribed on "forever" with just purchasing the sim, that is, without added costs whatsoever over the time? Not talking only about having the navaids and fixes up to date (it is literally a few clicks to have the FSX up to date with no costs), but all the procedures as well? With all the legs defined correctly according to the ARINC 424, so that third party stuff can interpret it as is?

-Esa

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Hook

I agree. MS has gone in deep on 2020. I honestly believe for the company it's a matter of pride as much as profit. MS has never wanted to be second best to anyone, especially when it comes to software. Flight simulation was basically theirs until they opted out after FSX. Now once back in the game I'm looking for MS to go all out to regain the title of "as good as it gets". They are throwing tremendous resources into the 2020 effort and I for one believe this version will be everything everybody always dreamed of for a flight simulator.
This being said, with what A2A has in the way of potential to interface with 2020, one can only imagine what might be coming next.
The future of flight simulation has never looked brighter.
Dudley Henriques

ImpendingJoker
Staff Sergeant

Post by ImpendingJoker »

Hook wrote: 06 Aug 2020, 05:55 Good post, Paul.

I don't think you remember just how bad things were, both in the beta forum and in other forums like the one on Avsim. You can still read the Avsim archive for Microsoft Flight to get some idea of what it was like, even after the worst posts were deleted and the posters banned.

Hawaii was excellent, probably couldn't be better. Alaska was... somewhat less so. By the time they released Alaska you could tell things were going downhill. Weeks of the daily aerocache being gold dredges. Mesh problems. I like flying in Alaska, but Flight's Alaska was just boring. Flight's Hawaii was far from boring. Lots of activities there. I wish we could have seen the next planned area, the Grand Canyon.

The hate campaign started long before the later releases of aircraft without cockpits. I had no use for those but some people preferred flying that way, even if the aircraft had a cockpit. Those aircraft were in the $5 range, far cheaper than A2A Aircraft Factory, and even the aircraft with cockpits were about $7.50 if my memory serves. I bought all the aircraft with cockpits; those were excellent.

I hated to see Flight go, but in the end it was just too limited and I'd already gone back to FSX just so I could fly my favorite aircraft in real world weather out of my favorite airports... which weren't in Hawaii or Alaska. :) Part of that decision was the realization that Flight was in reality a Super Minesweeper, not a flight sim. And I'd already done everything there was to be done in Flight.

Hook
Honestly, I have never read the AVSIM forums. I do see that they are cited sometimes on the MSFS website but, I don't hang out there. A2A and Flightsim.com are the only two that I ever post in, and both rather infrequently. To be honest, I only posted my findings in the forums and helped a couple of people with questions but, I never got into the whole debate thing about Flight. To me, I was glad to be chosen to be in the beta, and I wanted to do what I could(little good that it did) to give my thoughts and issues with the software to the development team. To be honest, if there was any kind of hate campaign it must have been very localized because I never noticed any kind of organized hatred of the thing. I know a lot of people on the beta were not happy with how things were progressing and neither was I but, I never hated on Flight, I was just disappointed because such potential I knew was going to be wasted. During the beta I did make up my mind though not to buy anything, and as it turned out, I didn't. I got the planes for free and all the Hawaiian Islands for free but, after I unlocked the final paint job for the Stearman(the plane I flew 98% of the time) I was pretty much done with Hawaii. I enjoyed it because I had been based there from 2000-2003, and I flew online with a friend of mine from work, and I was able to give him a tour of the islands because as a Blackhawk mechanic I spent a lot of time in the air over the islands, and I was blown away by how accurate they all were from The Big Island, all they way to, Kaua'i, but after I gave him that tour, I don't think I picked it up ever again, because, I had unlocked all the paints, had all the planes, and done all the things. Now the Grand Canyon would have been a blast for sure, and like you, I had wanted to get that one.
Paul

Part 147 Instructor

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Honestly, I have never read the AVSIM forums. I do see that they are cited sometimes on the MSFS website but, I don't hang out there.
Smart man. It can get really toxic at times. The only advantage is that there are a goodly number of knowledgeable people there.

I really liked Flight but there's only so much you can do with a limited number of aircraft in a couple of limited areas before you've seen it all and done it all, numerous times.

Except for the absence of heavies, Flight had a better selection of aircraft than MSFS in my opinion.

Hook

ImpendingJoker
Staff Sergeant

Post by ImpendingJoker »

Hook wrote: 06 Aug 2020, 12:00
Except for the absence of heavies, Flight had a better selection of aircraft than MSFS in my opinion.

Hook
I agree with you some what. There do seem to be a lot of "duplicates", such as the 152, 172 and 172 G1000, and all of those LSA planes that most I'd never even ~heard of before; and how many different Cubs do we need? Me I am looking forward to the Baron, Bonanza, King Air, and the 787 the most. I do wish they had put some kind of "classic" planes in the mix, like the Stearman or a Waco, or even a DC-3. You know, ~something with radials.
Paul

Part 147 Instructor

gpbarth
Airman First Class

Post by gpbarth »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 06 Aug 2020, 09:24

Hook

I agree. MS has gone in deep on 2020. I honestly believe for the company it's a matter of pride as much as profit. MS has never wanted to be second best to anyone, especially when it comes to software. Flight simulation was basically theirs until they opted out after FSX. Now once back in the game I'm looking for MS to go all out to regain the title of "as good as it gets". They are throwing tremendous resources into the 2020 effort and I for one believe this version will be everything everybody always dreamed of for a flight simulator.
This being said, with what A2A has in the way of potential to interface with 2020, one can only imagine what might be coming next.
The future of flight simulation has never looked brighter.
Dudley Henriques
The one thing still missing from MSFS2020 is "study aircraft" and that's where A2A, PMDG, Flight-1, come in. First time I tried flying the Caravan, nothing worked like the real plane, start-up was a joke. None of the A/C had realistic procedures. A big part of my simming is realism, because I'm a licensed pilot. So I have to have the same quality in the new sim.
-= Gary =-
MSFS2020, DCS World, A2A Accu-Sim Military & Civilian P-51, Cessna 172, Comanche 250, Win 10 64-bit, I7-7700, ASUS GTX108Ti, 32Gb RAM, 2 2Tb drives.

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

gpbarth wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 14:53 First time I tried flying the Caravan, nothing worked like the real plane, start-up was a joke. None of the A/C had realistic procedures. A big part of my simming is realism, because I'm a licensed pilot. So I have to have the same quality in the new sim.
That's sad to hear. I'll be holding out on buying it until I see what A2A does.

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

Well, I'm confident that MSFS will be a success. RSR of PMDG was quite adamant about how dedicated Asobo and Microsoft are to delivering a flight sim for the community. I know i'll mostly enjoy the GA side of it, at least until PMDG release the NG3. But what i will really, really crave for, and the biggest thing i'll miss from P3D by far, is A2A's Bonanza. That plane just hit all the checkboxes with me. It is almost everything i want in a GA. I'm really looking forwards to its release, and i really hope it will come right after the Aerostar (but, let's be honest, that spot will probably be reserved for the 172, then maybe the Mustang). So, please work your magic as you always do, A2A team, cause i highly doubt i'll bear going back to P3D.
Last edited by cristi.neagu on 15 Aug 2020, 07:29, edited 1 time in total.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”