Will microsoft flight sim 2020 use less ram

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Paul Okwii
Airman First Class

Will microsoft flight sim 2020 use less ram

Post by Paul Okwii »

Hi

will microsfot flight sim 2020 use less ram because it is using Satallite data (AZURE AI)

Thanks

Paul

Marvin-E34
Senior Airman

Re: Will microsoft flight sim 2020 use less ram

Post by Marvin-E34 »

It's not clear at the moment how things will work.
Using satellite data (orthophotos) would mean a bigger use of ram, you just have to look at Orth4XP on X-plane 11 or True Earth regions from Orbx. Files are huge and the impact on performance is significant.
But it seems some of the graphical load will be shared with the cloud.

We have yet to see the game running on a computer.
It's too early to have any serious performance data.

GunninGamerz
Airman First Class

Post by GunninGamerz »

It seems much of it will be pushed off on the cloud.

Worried about performance? Don't be.

Remember, its going to be on Xbox, an old outdated, cheap PC basically, its going to run amazing on PC!
"SpringfieldXD45"
https://www.youtube.com/gunningamerz
https://www.twitch.tv/gunningamerz
https://twitter.com/GunninGamerz

My A2A hangar:
C172, C182, Cherokee, Comanche, V35B, P51 Mil & Civ, B17, Spitfire, T6, P-40, B377 COTS, Cub, Connie

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

I’m hoping it’s going to be everything I want it to be and afraid it’s going to be everything I don’t want it to be.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Dominique
Technical Sergeant

Post by Dominique »

Paul Okwii wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 06:12 Hi

will microsfot flight sim 2020 use less ram because it is using Satallite data (AZURE AI)

Thanks

Paul
1/ Nobody knows.

2/ From my experience, I'd say that no less than 16 Gb on the main board and 12 Gb on the video card will be advisable , specially if you are a little sloppy managing windows.

3/ The choke point might very well be the connection and not the RAM, CPU or GPU.
Dominique
i7-4770 /Nvidia 1080 and MSFS
Proud ownerin FS9 of the P-47 and P-51, in FSX/P3D of the Piper Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, P-40, P-51 civ., Texan, Boeing Stratocruiser, Cessna Skylane and in MSFS of the Comanche

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

And if it does, would it be a bad thing? Memory is cheap these days and if that means better performance, I'm all for it.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Al FR-153
Technical Sergeant

Post by Al FR-153 »

And if it does, would it be a bad thing? Memory is cheap these days and if that means better performance, I'm all for it.
Amen ! We have been bound by the VAS (Virtual Address Space) of 4GB (64 bit machine) or 2GB (32 bit machine) since day one of FSX. With the price and speed of modern day solid state memory (I lived the days of core memory) this was and is a huge downfall of FSX. I would love for them to open the memory up to say....24GB and still have a minimum where it is today. With more and fast memory, you can load more scenery without reload stutters, at better frame rates, and forget forever the OOM message (Out of Memory - - which is actually out of VAS memory space. Let the memory flow.
Al Heline

Image Image Image Image Image Image

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

Oracle427 wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 15:32 Memory is cheap these days and if that means better performance, I'm all for it.
Well, GPU memory ain't cheap, and I'm not upgrading that again. I have 32 GB RAM, but I'll not go above my 8 GB 1080.

Paul Okwii
Airman First Class

Post by Paul Okwii »

I am thinking of upgrading my ram from 16 GB to 24 GB, but it is not cheep about USD 300 what should i do?
Should iwait for the MSFS 2020 then upgrade or....?

Thanks
Paul

Ram Website: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-me ... 845/memory

Al FR-153
Technical Sergeant

Post by Al FR-153 »

Well, GPU memory ain't cheap, and I'm not upgrading that again. I have 32 GB RAM, but I'll not go above my 8 GB 1080.
Apples and oranges. M$ limited us to only using 2GB or 4GB of system RAM when they wrote the FSX code. GPU memory is entirely different. You are correct, GPU RAM is and has been artificially expensive mainly because they keep adding bells and whistles to what the graphics boards and GPU can do and the RAM that it requires to do those bells and whistles. But the original post was about system RAM. You have 32 Gig of system RAM and M$ said (when they owned FSX)...we don't care, you can only use 2 or 4GB of it for FSX and we are not going to fix it. That has been their attitude since day one. Read up on M$ FSX VAS if you doubt me.
Al Heline

Al FR-153
Technical Sergeant

Post by Al FR-153 »

I am thinking of upgrading my ram from 16 GB to 24 GB, but it is not cheep about USD 300 what should i do?
Should iwait for the MSFS 2020 then upgrade or....?
Paul, if you have 16BG or system RAM, I would wait. The original code for FSX limited us to a max of 4GB as stated earlier. Unless they allow us more VAS, you could (Flight Sim wise) be wasting you money. I will add that if you use addon programs such as Active Sky, and even A2A AccuSim, you are using your system RAM over and above the limits that MSFS FSX actually uses. You have to love Sim Connect for that. I speak with 45 years of computer maintenance and management when I say this.... System memory is the cheapest system hardware upgrade you can do to your machine to make it run faster and more efficient. It allows more multi-tasking at any given time and with today's multi-core processors, that speeds up the flow.

I might add; if you are going to install the memory yourself, and if you have no true allegiance or warranty requirements to Dell, you might look at Newegg.com or bhphotovideo.com to compare prices for the same memory without Dell's name on it. You might be surprised.
Al Heline

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

Al FR-153 wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 06:43if you are going to install the memory yourself, and if you have no true allegiance or warranty requirements to Dell, you might look at Newegg.com or bhphotovideo.com to compare prices for the same memory without Dell's name on it. You might be surprised.
This^^^ I paid $84 for my initial Ripjaws 16 GB two years ago in a Newegg sale, and $79 for the same 16 GB a couple of months ago. My whole system was pieced together through their sales.

Al FR-153
Technical Sergeant

Post by Al FR-153 »

This^^^ I paid $84 for my initial Ripjaws 16 GB two years ago in a Newegg sale, and $79 for the same 16 GB a couple of months ago. My whole system was pieced together through their sales.
I have dealt with both companies for well over 20 years (cameras and computer parts with B&H) and have never had a complaint. The product(s) have always been exactly as advertised and the delivery always timely (and well packaged). Both companies stand behind their products as well.
Al Heline

Solareagle
Senior Airman

Post by Solareagle »

Oracle427 wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 15:32 And if it does, would it be a bad thing? Memory is cheap these days and if that means better performance, I'm all for it.
It can be pretty cheap, but I would pony up for the fastest memory you can run. I paid $400 for 16GB of 4000Mhz RAM, and I see up to a 30% performance gain compared to stock speeds (2666MHz), which is extremely significant. To get that kind of boost from the CPU I'd have to run it at over 6.5GHz.
A man's dreams are an index to his greatness.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

There are so many factors in this like the capabilities of your motherboard, cores, video card, etc.
It's is also impossible to predict what is going to be appropriate for the disease until it is released.

I think it would be wise to wait and see. Technology is constantly improving. Generally what is 300 today is 150 just a year later.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”