New Microsoft Flight Sim in 2020?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
thomas_mac
Senior Airman

Re: New Microsoft Flight Sim in 2020?

Post by thomas_mac »

vtracy
Senior Airman

Post by vtracy »

#Hook, you really think you can stream scenery for everyone...at the same time...for a few thousand simmers at the same time...? I have a 100Mbit connection so that would not be a problem. But the simultaneous server accesses!
It can be done, I am sure. But at what cost?!
Volker

Any landing that you can walk away from is a good landing!

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

thomas_mac wrote: 12 Jun 2019, 12:01 Microsoft is offering an insider program for anyone interested.

https://fsi.microsoftstudios.com/inside ... m-sign-up/

https://fsi.microsoftstudios.com/insider-program-faq/
I did the sign up. Nothing happened. I cannot log in. I know there has to be something there, because someone else posted a link to stuff below the main page. When I clicked on it I got Page Not Found error.

Anyone have any better luck? Anyone have any idea what we need to do?
vtracy wrote: 12 Jun 2019, 12:36 #Hook, you really think you can stream scenery for everyone...at the same time...for a few thousand simmers at the same time...? I have a 100Mbit connection so that would not be a problem. But the simultaneous server accesses!
It can be done, I am sure. But at what cost?!
I think it can be done. Google Stadia is doing it, check the video. Microsoft is just as big. Maybe. :)

Hook

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

YouTube, Netflix, HBO online laugh at the scale of our puny flight sim streaming content.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

I finally got the login to work but there's nothing else there. At one time there were additional pages but they've been taken down.

Mustang01
Senior Airman

Post by Mustang01 »

I really hope that there is no any backwards compatibility. We need modern fresh sim imo
Thats exactly what i DONT want to happen is NO backwards compatibility. So all the money ive spent over the years, and especially the last 2 years on switching and re-buying EVERYTHING over again to go to P3D is all wasted...for me, to the tune of $2400 just in software. If thats the case and all the developers just "go where the money is at" and it means re- purchasing all tgis stuff again for a third time for yet another new platform, that will officially drive me out of the hobby. There comes a point where enough is enough. I for one, am not going to keep buying the same airplane over and over. I'll stick with P3D. This was actually bad news for me.
On the other hand, if i can still use my p3dv4 aircraft ( which is extremely doubtful) then great. When it gets to the point that these developers ONLY think about their own profit and nothing else, i think it will be the downturn of this hobby. Alot like real world aviation. FBOs have sunk general aviation for alot of people over the last 30 years. I remember the days of the $100 hamburger. Now that everybody has their greedy hands in the pot with ramp fees ect..its the $450 hamburger.
Image Image

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

But the current flight simulators will keep working? I'm still running FSX, bone stock all these years and it works just fine, and will continue to be my sim of choice for the aircraft I have in it. I still load up Il2 1946 to fly certain aircraft, IL2 CLOD for others, Falcon 4 BMS for yet another, and the list goes on. I just can't see why anyone is compelled to buy anything more than once unless they choose to.

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

A flight sim with an Xbox controller? No ty.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

n421nj wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 19:54 A flight sim with an Xbox controller? No ty.
Pretty sure you would be able to use stick and pedals on the desktop. You just have to go through the Xbox Game Pass app to use the software.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Oracle427 wrote: 12 Jun 2019, 15:37 YouTube, Netflix, HBO online laugh at the scale of our puny flight sim streaming content.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

ImpendingJoker
Staff Sergeant

Post by ImpendingJoker »

Mustang01 wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 18:41
I really hope that there is no any backwards compatibility. We need modern fresh sim imo
Thats exactly what i DONT want to happen is NO backwards compatibility. So all the money ive spent over the years, and especially the last 2 years on switching and re-buying EVERYTHING over again to go to P3D is all wasted...for me, to the tune of $2400 just in software. If thats the case and all the developers just "go where the money is at" and it means re- purchasing all tgis stuff again for a third time for yet another new platform, that will officially drive me out of the hobby. There comes a point where enough is enough. I for one, am not going to keep buying the same airplane over and over. I'll stick with P3D. This was actually bad news for me.
On the other hand, if i can still use my p3dv4 aircraft ( which is extremely doubtful) then great. When it gets to the point that these developers ONLY think about their own profit and nothing else, i think it will be the downturn of this hobby. Alot like real world aviation. FBOs have sunk general aviation for alot of people over the last 30 years. I remember the days of the $100 hamburger. Now that everybody has their greedy hands in the pot with ramp fees ect..its the $450 hamburger.
For the hobby to move forward one must take the lessons of the past and move forward. There is a reason why we have the tires on cars that we have now. Progress. If advances in the vulcanization process had never happened, the Ford Explorer issue would have been an epidemic that ALL cars would have faced.I fly DCS world because no one does the combat thing better, I even play Heliborne and Ace Combat 7 and all have addons that are specific to them. So in keeping with that, if you keep making everything backwards compatible, you limit the software as a whole. FSX and P3Dv1-3 were 32bit, and P3Dv4 is 64bit, despite what you might think this is a huge advancement, now a lot of 32bit software will run in a 64bit environment but not all(eg Accu-sim) and must be rewritten and recompiled to make work and take advantage of the 64bit architecture.(ie multicore processing and hyper threading) You say that you don't want to buy the same thing over and over again, but by continuing to make it backwards compatible that is EXACTLY what you are doing. FSX, ESP, P3Dv1-3 are all essentially the same, and they all have the same problems, it's not till FSW/P3Dv4 that you start to see change, however what killed FSW was it was going to nickle and dime the hobby, and P3Dv4 kept the door open for freeware development, thus keeping it alive for the average user. Now, to MS Flight. It had a wonderful flight dynamics engine that was way better than FSX, this not something disputed by many, and it also had the ability for true mapping of roads and runways to irregular surfaces(curved runways), these two things was what most of the die hards were looking for and the new graphics engine really made Flight pop, and they did all of this by leaving the old behind and not making it backwards compatible. So, if you want to buy something truly new, you should be screaming for it to NOT be backwards compatible, and, as you have said, like I too, have a few grand in add on software for FSX/P3D, then stay in the environment that makes you happy.
Paul

Part 65 certified Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic
Part 107 certified Remote Pilot in Command
Part 147 Instructor

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Looking at the trailer I’m wondering what stick aircraft will come with it. At 0:49 seconds it looks like a Robin DR400 or 401. That’ll be neat since I fly that type in real life.

I’m kinda excited to get a new simulator even if it’s going to be way to much for my hardware. But it’s gonna bring some new life into the community and hopefully make flight simulation more accessible for people. I also understand that change in platform probably will at one point mean that you can’t have backwards compatibility but if you always build in the old platforms you’ll never get improvement. I guess in the end we’ll have to see where it goes.

Happy flying
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Mustang01
Senior Airman

Post by Mustang01 »

however what killed FSW was it was going to nickle and dime the hobby,
LOL, going back to my entire point of re-buying everything. Do i really need to explain this?lol
You say that you don't want to buy the same thing over and over again, but by continuing to make it backwards compatible that is EXACTLY what you are doing.
Not sure how your logic here makes any sense...
If something is backwards compatible, it works with the current platform as well as its predecessors...in other words, I Would NOT need to buy a new version for the new platform. My point with the same airplane is take the P51 for example...i bought for FSX $50 then AGAIN for P3Dv4..another $50..if i have to buy it again for this new Flight sim..theres ANOTHER $50...for the SAME airplane that performs the same exact way with the same exact flight dynamics just in a new sim. Ive now got $150 tied up in the same darn product. I dont care how a developer wants to spin it..thats nickle and diming the hobby...period! Either way, not arguing at all..just opinions lol.
Image Image

stiz
BDG

Post by stiz »

My point with the same airplane is take the P51 for example...i bought for FSX $50 then AGAIN for P3Dv4..another $50..if i have to buy it again for this new Flight sim..theres ANOTHER $50...for the SAME airplane that performs the same exact way with the same exact flight dynamics just in a new sim. Ive now got $150 tied up in the same darn product. I dont care how a developer wants to spin it..thats nickle and diming the hobby...period! Either way, not arguing at all..just opinions lol.
you are aware of just how ignorant your making yourself look dont you??

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Hey guys, easy, there is no need to make this personal.

The fact is that a new sim suddenly doesn't render previous sims and purchases inoperative. It is one's choice to stop using the products and simulators they have previously purchased. This is a fact of life with technology, sometimes backwards compatibility must be broken to move forward.

That said, MS Flight had a business model that was very different from previous flight simulators that depended on DLC to access features and build out the world. This is not the same issue as backwards compatibility.

As for some comments about features introduced in MS Flight that I particularly loved.

Ground handling was phenomenal in MS Flight. I have around 15 hours flying a Stearman, so not very much, but enough to know how it handles on turf and asphalt. Flight shined here!
Ground effect and the landing effects were also great. A2A has done the same job for our legacy flight sims with their Accusim magic.
Curved runways. One of my favorite features of Flight were curved runways. No runway in RL is perfectly level or flat. Some are very "warped" where you can't see the far end or even an aircraft holding short of the runway a little than halfway down. This affects visual perception as well as the handling of the aircraft.
Fog and clouds in IMC in general was really great. I hope to see this comeback in a new simulator.

DLC for functions or regions - Not a fan at all. Maybe a little if there are some improvements in a future patch, but I will not go for DLC to get various countries or DLC for the ability to have real weather, etc. I would likely sit it out over this as FSX is pretty much a perfect simulator for my training and proficiency needs as-is, everything else above is just window dressing for me.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”