New Microsoft Flight Sim in 2020?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: New Microsoft Flight Sim in 2020?

Post by Dogsbody55 »

I've just connected to the new you beaut National Broadband Network here in Aus, and I have to say that the implementation of the original plan has been turned into a dogs breakfast by the present government and it's contractors. :evil: The average internet speeds here nationally is 27mbs, according to a news report last year, and that's about what I'm getting.

I know many people have a much poorer service throughout the world, but progress towards the information superhighway is remarkably slow and doesn't auger well for future programs such as the planned new Flightsim.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Microsoft should go full on simulator like x plane a p3d did. Flight was a bomb because it was too arcade like
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Not sure yet which way Microsoft wants to go with this. If they go for a full fledged flight simulator including scenery they have the talent on board to do a magnificent job with this.
IF however they choose to design a flight simulator based on their current thinking on marketing ( more toward an a-la-carte approach) with fees involved for a various and controlled access to certain features, ( reference Microsoft Office) I fear the effort might fail.
It's all up to Microsoft at this point. If they go forward with their plan I sincerely hope they learned much from their fiasco involving the Aces Team.
Dudley Henriques

vtracy
Senior Airman

Post by vtracy »

I seem to be the only person on this thread who is old enough to have ‚experienced‘(=suffered under) the MS software ‚versions‘. Remember the many Windows versions that were replaced with new ones, a scant year after release? Remember the first Office combination (after Lotus Symphony came out)?
MS is a marketing company with a software house attached. If you remember that old saying, you can interpret many strange behaviour and know what to expect from a new project: First version: flashy but quick & dirty programming; intent: grab as much of the market as possible then keep up the suspense by subsequent versions of better and better quality.
Facit: I believe that the first 2-3 versions will be nothing to compare with P3D/X-Plane but will be bought because of the name and the expectations of better versions to come. Also, there will be many add-on suppliers coming on board fairly quickly.
For me, the comparison - and the buy/not buy decision will be based on - will be the quality, i. e. realistic representation of the sceneries.
Volker

Any landing that you can walk away from is a good landing!

Alfredson007
Technical Sergeant

Post by Alfredson007 »

I think all the MS FS's have been good products in their time. I'm still using FSX after more than a decade. So, stastically speaking, the new Flight Simulator will be good :)

If the end product will be superior sim in league of its own (as it would be graphics-wise according to the trailer), i am ready to open my wallet. I would even pay extra for good addons even if MS would want a cut of them. People have invested tons of money to go from FSX to P3D, having essentially the same addons all over again, but are getting cheapskates when we could truly have a modern civ flight sim finally?

ImpendingJoker
Staff Sergeant

Post by ImpendingJoker »

vtracy wrote: 05 Jul 2019, 02:35 I seem to be the only person on this thread who is old enough to have ‚experienced‘(=suffered under) the MS software ‚versions‘. Remember the many Windows versions that were replaced with new ones, a scant year after release? Remember the first Office combination (after Lotus Symphony came out)?
MS is a marketing company with a software house attached. If you remember that old saying, you can interpret many strange behaviour and know what to expect from a new project: First version: flashy but quick & dirty programming; intent: grab as much of the market as possible then keep up the suspense by subsequent versions of better and better quality.
Facit: I believe that the first 2-3 versions will be nothing to compare with P3D/X-Plane but will be bought because of the name and the expectations of better versions to come. Also, there will be many add-on suppliers coming on board fairly quickly.
For me, the comparison - and the buy/not buy decision will be based on - will be the quality, i. e. realistic representation of the sceneries.
Volker
Well seeing as how I still my data cassette tape for subLogic Flight Simulator for Commodore 64, I'll bet you're wrong. ;) And I have NEVER purchased a piece of software that hasn't had version update and upgrades, and bug fixes implemented. Most of the time the large yearly patches were a culmination of a bunch of little things that was easier to do all at once instead of doing them piece meal. I find it funny also that you say it won't compare to P3D when in reality P3D even v4.5, is really nothing more than ESP made new, and it is still based on that same old base code.
Paul

Part 65 certified Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic
Part 107 certified Remote Pilot in Command
Part 147 Instructor

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Well seeing as how I still my data cassette tape for subLogic Flight Simulator for Commodore 64, I'll bet you're wrong. ;) And I have NEVER purchased a piece of software that hasn't had version update and upgrades, and bug fixes implemented. Most of the time the large yearly patches were a culmination of a bunch of little things that was easier to do all at once instead of doing them piece meal. I find it funny also that you say it won't compare to P3D when in reality P3D even v4.5, is really nothing more than ESP made new, and it is still based on that same old base code.
This is quite true. I worked with Microsoft through their sim program. FSX, their final real effort (Flight never really got off the ground...pun intended :-) had huge issues when released because the team designed it looking forward toward new hardware. Even I was fooled as the issues began. I remember vividly a conference call between the head of the sim department, my MVP advisor (I was awarded an MVP designation by MS for my work on FSX) and myself. They tried very hard to convince me that the complaints I was receiving weekly from purchasers of FSX concerning problems the sim had running on medium to low end computers would cease once the new hardware came on line. I was unconvinced. FSX was just too advanced to run on existing hardware to the level I felt was acceptable.
I was wrong. As the new hardware arrived on the scene, the true genius of the Aces team began to show. FSX began to smooth out and run well on medium grade computers. The complaints began to decrease.
Today I can attest to one and all that FSX stands as a creative masterpiece of computer science. Microsoft made a HUGE mistake when they pulled the plug on the Aces Team.
There has been much improvement since FSX was released. The new simulators, X Plane, and P3D are excellent products and getting better all the time. But make no mistake. FSX STILL can hold its own even as a 32 bit program running on 64 bit equipment.
The future looks bright for flight simulation regardless of which sim is a purchaser's favorite.
Right now A2A is developing for FSX and P3D. A2A is also not set in stone. We are always awake, always aware, and we are always thinking ahead.
Who knows what the future might bring?
Dudley Henriques

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Today I can attest to one and all that FSX stands as a creative masterpiece of computer science.
Thanks, Dudley. That was a great post. Phenomenal even. :)
Who knows what the future might bring?
:D

Hook

ImpendingJoker
Staff Sergeant

Post by ImpendingJoker »

A lot of people will site the FS5 to FS5.1, without realizing that FS5 was on floppy disk and FS5.1 was the first version to no only be on CD-ROM, but it also included all the downloadable updates that were currently out. A lot of blockbusters do this same thing now with their "Game of the Year Editions", which usually include all patches and official download content for said game on one set media, be it DVD-ROM or direct download, this makes installation simpler and you often not only get the same game, albeit a bit later than everyone else, but you usually get it way cheaper. This is more a case with console games than PC but, there are still some big ones out there(Skyrim Black Box I'm looking at you).
Paul

Part 65 certified Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic
Part 107 certified Remote Pilot in Command
Part 147 Instructor

vtracy
Senior Airman

Post by vtracy »

@impendingjoker:
„... And I have NEVER purchased a piece of software that hasn't had version update and upgrades, and bug fixes implemented. ...“
I think that is what one calls a euphemism. Yes, a software product is never ‚complete‘, it has to be corrected. BUT, the question is: a. how well-tested in house is the product before release; how often does it happen that a product has so many problems that it is replaced by another one after 2 years? (yes I know what I am talking about; I used to design and test mainframe software in the 80 and 90ies. The principles of good software development are still the same.)
However, I will concede that there are different people at work for the MS2020 and so the quality of the first version of the product may indeed be good, after all. I reserve judgement until I have had the opportunity to fly low over a scenery and NOT see 2D, blurry photoscenery but a landscape populated with wel-crafted houses, trees,...
Volker

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

I miss when you as a pilot could crash into buildings into the old versions of Flight Simulator before the 9/11,2001 tragedy and from an outside view you would see the aircraft breaking up into pieces and some of the pieces would fall to the ground.
I would like to see this back with new effects (explosions,fires etc).
Also spectacular aircraft air collisions or ground collisions which can cause damage to aircraft and ground objects like say a taxiing aircraft accident.
This of course should be avoided but occasionally one might like to see something different in a simulation.
Also it can add extra realism to the maybe with a review board inquiry of a simulated accident and rescue vehicles etc.
Perhaps have surviving passengers (injured and non injured) listed with a deceased number or even show passengers being rescued from a aircraft accident in the simulation.
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mickel »

Can we let them build a flight simulator worthy of the name first?
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

vtracy
Senior Airman

Post by vtracy »

...instead of a crash simulator...😅
Volker

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

I use to deactivate any crash detection anyway.. :D as long as there are no rape fields modeled correctly ripping off your wings I feel no urge to slalom invisible scenery :D

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

Well I would like objects on the ground and in the air to be destructible so that Microsoft could eventually come out with a new revised combat flight simulator series based on this new flight simulator.
That's my hope.
If that happened we could have extensive air combat and even bombing missions with scenery from the 1940's.
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”