New Microsoft Flight Sim in 2020?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
ImpendingJoker
Staff Sergeant

Re: New Microsoft Flight Sim in 2020?

Post by ImpendingJoker »

Mustang01 wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 08:22
however what killed FSW was it was going to nickle and dime the hobby,
LOL, going back to my entire point of re-buying everything. Do i really need to explain this?lol
You say that you don't want to buy the same thing over and over again, but by continuing to make it backwards compatible that is EXACTLY what you are doing.
Not sure how your logic here makes any sense...
If something is backwards compatible, it works with the current platform as well as its predecessors...in other words, I Would NOT need to buy a new version for the new platform. My point with the same airplane is take the P51 for example...i bought for FSX $50 then AGAIN for P3Dv4..another $50..if i have to buy it again for this new Flight sim..theres ANOTHER $50...for the SAME airplane that performs the same exact way with the same exact flight dynamics just in a new sim. Ive now got $150 tied up in the same darn product. I dont care how a developer wants to spin it..thats nickle and diming the hobby...period! Either way, not arguing at all..just opinions lol.
You are talking add-ons, while I am talking platform. If FS2020(what I am calling it) is not backwards compatible, and you are happy with P3Dv4 there is no reason for you to buy a new add for it or even buy it in the first place but, by your logic, it's like buying a new car and taking the old tires off your old car and putting them on the new one. This does nothing but slow down the new car as an older set of tires is detrimental, and they will fail, and you'll have to buy new tires anyway, costing you more money in the long run. Look, I have the DCS Fw-190A-8 that just released, and I can promise you this, if A2A came out with an Accu-sim version tomorrow, I would NOT buy it. Why would I? The DCS platform already has it. When I go to P3Dv4, the only A2A plane I am buying is the Bonanza. Why? I already own just about every other A2A plane in FSX/P3D, and aside from some eyecandy, and little tweaks the planes will not behave differently in a major way, so if I feel the urge to fly the P-40, I'll just fire up P3Dv3, no need to buy it again, but you are making your decisions to rebuy something for another platform the issue. I had planes on FS9 that I never even installed into FSX and they are still sitting in my various accounts around the net. I felt no need to fly them again or even repurchase updated versions of them. Same can be said for the jump from P3Dv3 to P3Dv4. The P-40 is by far my favorite WWII plane of all time, but I won't rebuy it for P3Dv4, because there is no need to. No one held a gun to your head and told you to buy the P-51 more than once, that was your call but, the fact that you made the jump to P3Dv4 proves my point that even you have embraced that change was needed to the aging platform, and eventually that will result in a completely different file structure and rendering. The nickle and diming of the hobby was from the base point of view not the add point of view. Want the rest of Hawaii? Buy. Want Alaska? Buy it. Want North America? Buy it(this was the next region for FS Flight I'm told). That is nickle and diming, not buying add-on planes. I go from place to place to fly what I want from Ace Combat to IL-2 to DCS to P3D, and I can tell you that I have not bought the same planes as download content for any of them. Why buy the DCS P-51 when I already have the A2A P-51 w/Accu-Sim? Don't buy the same thing over and over then accuse the industry of nickle and diming you.
Paul

Part 65 certified Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic
Part 107 certified Remote Pilot in Command
Part 147 Instructor

Orlaam
Senior Airman

Post by Orlaam »

Looks like Dovetail Games are behind this new "MSFS", so I wouldn't get too excited. If Dovetail and MS operate the way they have been with their software (Win 10 and FSW), it'll be a huge wash.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/new-produ ... r-3698031/
Dovetail Studios, who are behind the upcoming release, took over development of the series for its 2014 porting of FSX to Steam. ACES Studios, responsible for the original games, was shut down by Microsoft in 2009.
Chris J.

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU | Windows & Pro 64 bit | FSX:SE

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Oracle427 wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 10:23As for some comments about features introduced in MS Flight that I particularly loved.
I'm glad to see someone else who loved Flight. :)

That Stearman was pretty awesome. How did you do on the landing challenges? The third Stearman challenge really ate my lunch. I took a break and flew some hoops with the Stearman for a couple of hours, then when I went back to the landing challenge I aced it the first time. Yeah, it was for fun, but you were also learning.

One thing I hadn't seen in any flight sim previously was if the Stearman power was set a bit high the plane wanted to drift to the left, and if it was a bit low, to the right. There was a sweet spot where it was balanced. I really liked flying it.

Do you have any opinions of the Golden Age Super Stearman?

Hook

Tutmeister
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tutmeister »

Orlaam wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 15:41 Looks like Dovetail Games are behind this new "MSFS", so I wouldn't get too excited. If Dovetail and MS operate the way they have been with their software (Win 10 and FSW), it'll be a huge wash.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/new-produ ... r-3698031/
Dovetail Studios, who are behind the upcoming release, took over development of the series for its 2014 porting of FSX to Steam. ACES Studios, responsible for the original games, was shut down by Microsoft in 2009.
Actually that dovetail line is just one of many factually incorrect statements in that article. In fact it is downright crappy journalism with no fact checking and speculation being passed off as fact. That article has actually changed my view of techadvisor so I will now doubt anything they write.
Owner of Fulcrum Simulator Controls
Spitfire Obsessive, GA Enthusiast.
https://www.fulcrumsim.com
https://www.facebook.com/fulcrumsimulatorcontrols

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

I've never flown the Golden Age Stearman.

The landing challenges were hard but fair. IMHO, if you could do well at those, you have some skills. ;)
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Oracle427 wrote: 16 Jun 2019, 18:04 I've never flown the Golden Age Stearman.

The landing challenges were hard but fair. IMHO, if you could do well at those, you have some skills. ;)
Ah, thanks!

If you're into the Stearman, the Golden Age Super Stearman is an excellent plane. I've got it painted in Cannibal Queen colors and will be doing my fourth recreation of the flight from that book just as soon as I get tired of flying the Connie. I hope that happens some time this summer. :D

Besides the paint job, I have a lot of custom work in that plane to replicate various things mentioned in the book, like having low oil pressure when the oil temperature was high near Death Valley and engine hesitation if you get a bit too aggressive on leaning the mixture.

Hook

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

This throws a little more light on what the new sim may look like, and why.

https://www.pcgamer.com/xboxs-phil-spen ... s-store/2/

The fact that there is 2 petabytes of geographical data behind the sim suggests that this is going to be a whole new ball game, and if it's that detailed, is there any need for add on scenery?? It could be that only add on planes may be an option in the future.

People have been calling for a brand new flight sim for years, and for some, this may be the way forward. It all depends on how deep your pockets are, but it seems clear to me that there is a market there. Just look at the array of expensive seats, joysticks, rudders and yokes etc on the market. They wouldn't exist if there was insufficient demand, so clearly there are plenty out there spending as much as they can on their hobby which suggests there is also a future for this sim. As good as the current crop of 64 bit sims are, the technology behind them is decades old, as Lewis pointed out. There is only so much you can do with that technology, so if we want our simming to advance, then this is may be the way we have to go. Given the size of it, a subscription based sim looks likely as I don't know of any 2 petabyte size hard drives on the market. Everything else is going cloud-based, so it just depends on whether you're OK with that.

I think it all just needs time. Speaking personally, it will take a few more years for me engage with this level of technology. I presently avoid cloud based stuff like the plague as internet technology here in Australia is not reliable or fast enough for me to consider it. I'm also retired so any such service has to be cheap enough for me to afford it. If the new sim has similar open ended programming to P3D and FSX etc, it could be a winner. I had FSW on my PC and thought it had good potential, but this could have much more. So my approach it to be patient and see how it actually develops. I wish MS all the best with this. Lets face it, MS Flight sim 1 broke new ground and that series has been fantastic.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Raebo
Airman First Class

All of us were left at the alter

Post by Raebo »

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

I'm staying loyal to the companies who took ahold of the reins and carried on so we could carry on.

Microsoft can go pound sand IMO, they left us all holding the bag, they dont give a fiddlers fig about the flight simming
community, they just show up and I'm to be impressed,? hardly.'

I dont care how good it might be, Im sticking with those that brung me.

To little far to late.
Nvidia GTX - 980Ti Titan.

Seidon 240M liquid CPU cooler.

Intel i7-4770K, Asus Z87-pro.

Samsung- 840 EVO Sata III TLC SSD.

Trident X series 32GB (4x8)

Kingwin 1000- watt 80+ Bronze Power supply.

Asus - PB278 2560x1440 HDMI Monitor.

ImpendingJoker
Staff Sergeant

Re: All of us were left at the alter

Post by ImpendingJoker »

Raebo wrote: 18 Jun 2019, 21:11 Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

I'm staying loyal to the companies who took ahold of the reins and carried on so we could carry on.

Microsoft can go pound sand IMO, they left us all holding the bag, they dont give a fiddlers fig about the flight simming
community, they just show up and I'm to be impressed,? hardly.'

I dont care how good it might be, Im sticking with those that brung me.

To little far to late.
By that rationale you should be looking at Microsoft since they are in fact the one "who brung you". Without MS making it since they took it over from subLogic, none of this would be happening. Microsoft only messed up ONCE with Flight, and let's see how this goes. I understand the hesitation but to say you are sticking with the ones that brung you(most likely P3D(remastered FSX/ESP) or XPlane, which has for most of it's existence lagged behind MSFS, and has only gone ahead of it because of the lack of development of FS by MS, and unless you put money into Flight(which I did not) then you are actually out NOTHING, but some time.
Paul

Part 65 certified Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic
Part 107 certified Remote Pilot in Command
Part 147 Instructor

TuFun
Senior Airman

Post by TuFun »

Very good news...

https://fsi.microsoftstudios.com/?fbcli ... eYDjAfEb2I

We are making Microsoft Flight Simulator. Emphasis on the word SIMULATOR.
Designed for PC, optimized for multiplatform support (e.g. Xbox).
Yes. We are supporting 3rd Party Content Development and Community Content creation. We are aware of the concerns in the current eco-system and are working to address them.
Yes. We genuinely want to work closely with the community in the development of this title.
Accessibility is important to us. Whatever your abilities are, if you want to fly, we are going to do whatever we can to make that happen.
Yoke and pedals, mouse and keyboard, controller, etc. No pilot should be left behind.

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

I'll go first.

When the new simulator is here can I have a free upgrade from my existing A2A planes since I already paid once?

:roll: Sorry, everybody. :D

trucker17
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by trucker17 »

Ok the graphics are really awesome......
But, What cards are they using, and where are their settings in game to get the looks they got......?

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

trucker17 wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 12:12 Ok the graphics are really awesome......
But, What cards are they using, and where are their settings in game to get the looks they got......?
I believe the scenery will be streamed to your PC as you fly, so I'd be more concerned with how good your interweb connection is. If you're regularly getting download speeds in excess of 45 to 50mbs, you should be OK and will get 4K textures. Less than that and you get 1080 textures, so I've read.

For me at present, this is an issue as my download speeds are about 25mbs, and it's not what I call reliable.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Just like FSX was (and still is) very challenging for Systems I think the new simulator will be as well.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

Dogsbody55 wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 22:32
trucker17 wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 12:12 Ok the graphics are really awesome......
I believe the scenery will be streamed to your PC as you fly, so I'd be more concerned with how good your interweb connection is. If you're regularly getting download speeds in excess of 45 to 50mbs, you should be OK and will get 4K textures. Less than that and you get 1080 textures, so I've read.

For me at present, this is an issue as my download speeds are about 25mbs, and it's not what I call reliable.

Cheers,
Mike
Thankfully I upgraded my Internet speeds to 100 mbs download speeds from 6 mbs since last year so hopefully I will be good to go.
I eliminated my cable TV bill in exchange for this.

Edit -To make up for the loss of my cable TV several years ago I got a Amazon Fire TV stick,I have a good antenna for local broadcast digital channels and I have the Pluto TV app (which also works great on a smartphone or Android tablet (I have two Amazon tablets also).
There are other options possible as well.
Cable TV was just too expensive for its worth.
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”