New Microsoft Flight Sim in 2020?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Alfredson007
Technical Sergeant

Re: New Microsoft Flight Sim in 2020?

Post by Alfredson007 »

I really hope that there is no any backwards compatibility. We need modern fresh sim imo. And probably time to get better default flight model than the old table based one and get similar to dcs, xplane and even afs2...

And based on that trailer i am sure this is truly new sim...

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

I suspect the new flight sim is an expanded Microsoft Flight, with an upgraded flight model from the excellent one in that sim but with the entire world. It wouldn't break my heart to get the Super Cub, Maule, Stearman and Icon. And here I thought Flight's Hawaii was gone forever.

Hook
Last edited by Hook on 10 Jun 2019, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Very very interesting news. Maybe I’ll wait with my switch to P3D a while longer and see where this goes...

Thanks for sharing
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Re: New Microsoft Flight sim in 2020?

Post by CAPFlyer »

patful wrote: 09 Jun 2019, 17:15 No Xbox for me, and can't imagine the desktop needed to run that. :( LM might be very unhappy.
Lockheed doesn't care. "Microsoft Flight Simulator" if it succeeds, is an entertainment property exactly in line with the existing licenses. Lockheed makes its money on P3D in the commercial space and "MFS" won't impede on that. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft and Lockheed are working hand-in-hand on elements so that MFS and P3Dv5 share technology, just as they've worked together in the past with earlier versions of P3D.

BrettT
Staff Sergeant

Post by BrettT »

I suspect it will be Microsoft's version of Aerofly FS2 just prettied up a bit. More about the wow and less about the simulation/flight model. I of course would love to be proven wrong :-)

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

We do realize, do we, that should the flight dynamics engine see a complete overhaul, that would put us back almost to the point zero in terms of addon compatibility. I mean, way more back than where we were with P3D compatibility (and we are still missing several addons on its fourth full iteration). It would be years from sim's availability, in all likeliness, until we will have our favorites re-made - if ever.

That's a thought. ;) I wouldn't be completely upset if the basic FDE was retained as the baseline.

-Esa

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

The new flight sim appears to be an expansion from Microsoft Flight. If your existing addon worked in Flight, it should also work in the new sim.

:D

Flight had a somewhat more sophisticated flight model than FSX and they avoided a few problems that FSX had. Their four base aircraft were excellent and we know the Icon A5 will be in the new sim.

Looks like we're starting from scratch, but the base sim looks to be pretty good. It's probably a year and a half away anyway, so you'll have plenty of time to enjoy your existing addons, and who knows what the addon developers can do in that time? Some have already had 2 or 3 years to work on the problem, although like Aerosoft they can't admit it or even comment because of NDAs. Orbx has said they had no idea this was coming, and PMDG has been silent so far. A2A hasn't said much yet, not even expressing surprise at the new sim, but the very fact that they haven't commented is a positive sign.

Mitchell Glicksman commented in one thread elsewhere that if the A2A planes won't work in the new sim then he's not interested. No problem, it just means that not everyone at A2A is in on any possible projects.

Hook

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

It's far to early to know at present, but if A2A do or can integrate Accu-sim into MFS, then I may be interested. Depends on what P3D v5 is like. It also depends if it's always-on-line too. I don't think I'll be interested at all if that's the case.

Alfredson007
Technical Sergeant

Post by Alfredson007 »

I wonder how much the new MSFS will eat up your harddrive, or, your bandwidth. They used 2 petabytes of geographical data to create the world. Obviously the end result is smaller, but given the fact that AFS2 already eats 125 gigs of hdd with much poorer graphics and it just has west united states rather than whole world. Could the scenery be downloaded on the go while you play?

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Update: I haven't seen any quotes, but apparently PMDG was taken by surprise as well.

Hook

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

The fact that none of the major developers have been in the loop bodes so incredibly un-well.

How can you get good community if you develop this without bringing the expertise along?

I want FSXX to be the new masterpiece with 120 FPS, perfect physics, and deep systems modeling, and all the goodies. But I’m so skeptical. Soooo skeptical.

Skeptic.
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Medtner wrote: 11 Jun 2019, 16:49The fact that none of the major developers have been in the loop bodes so incredibly un-well.
People said the same thing about Microsoft Flight but if you sat through the credits you'd see a lot of names you recognized.

Aerosoft was obviously involved given their comment in this link:

https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/t ... ox-and-pc/

We don't know who else might have been involved at this time.

Hook

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

I just watched a very interesting video about Google Stadia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lihhBFnao8

I don't know if this is what the new flight simulator is doing, but it's an interesting concept.

Basically, you don't play the game on your computer. You play it on server computers which will be much more powerful, your inputs go over the internet, the server processes them, and you're presented with basically a movie of your game which you are controlling. You could play a game on a phone; all you need is an internet connection, a screen, and a method of control.

Lots of disadvantages. Lots of advantages as well. The video explains both.

Hook

vtracy
Senior Airman

Post by vtracy »

I do not think that Stadia as it is shown in the video, can compare to a simulation! Imagine flying VFR at 1000ft in the Inn valley, or along the Channel coastline, or over London,... That is the challenge for a simulation! We have been talking (in other fora) about „realism“, „authentic flight model“, „sceneries to do VFR navigation in“,... can you imagine doing that „on any device“? Look at your present hardware setup! :D
Volker

Any landing that you can walk away from is a good landing!

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

If no one understood this already, the new flight sim is not on Google Stadia but appears to be on Microsoft's version of a similar service.

If you are running your flight sim on another computer somewhere out on the Internet and just getting the visuals on your screen, you won't be able to do any modifications or add any new content that doesn't come through the server. Other than things like that, there aren't many clues that the sim isn't running on your own computer.

As for doing VFR flight, if the charts say there is a racetrack in a certain spot you will see a racetrack. In 3D. Same for all the other landmarks on charts. This is the only thing I know of that is missing from the default scenery. You'll probably be able to see your own house.

One of the first things I thought of when I first heard the concept of streaming scenery was that updates would happen in the background. If they added a new higher resolution area it would be delivered to you automatically. This would be true even if areas were downloaded to your computer for a sim running on your own system.

Lots of interesting concepts here but I suspect I'll be staying with P3D. If I find I have sufficient bandwidth I may pay for a month or two of subscription service to check out the new sim and whatever else they have available on the server.

Hook

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”