Warthog HOTAS Extension: Any Recommendations?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
vtracy
Senior Airman

Warthog HOTAS Extension: Any Recommendations?

Post by vtracy »

On the first picture of the A2A announcement, I can see the airforce pilot students using a Warthog(TM) HOTAS. And they seem to use an extension. Is that correct? If so, which extension? I have need of one, tried several, found none to be optimal, so far.
Volker

Any landing that you can walk away from is a good landing!

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Re: A2A Development Update May 2019

Post by Caldemeyn »

vtracy
Senior Airman

Post by vtracy »

I tried these. They are well made, sturdy and precise. However, I have several problems with them:
1 - They are very heavy; when you use any but the shortest of them, the spring in the base cannot keep the grip centered; the spring has to be replaced, also, not a simple task.
2 - The cables that go with the extensions are a pain to connect; they repeatedly became loose in my setup. (There is a better approach to the extension, using aluminium instead of steel, and the extension comes with a fixed cabling and base connector. This extension, however, is too short for my purpose.)
I find the idea of offering extensions of different length that can be combined to give the required length very good! If that could (somehow, I do not know how) be combined with solid cabling (plugs?), I would buy them again.
Another thing is that in most cockpits you have a seat that requires the stick (or extension stick) to be curved so that when pulling the stick towards you, it does not hit the seat cushion. Actually, I saw several sticks in real (fighter) aircraft that were curved...
I acknowledge that the training setup in the picture does not seem to need the elaborate version of a stick; but I would assume that more sophisticated cockpit arrangements would certainly need curved, lightweight, reliably cabled, joysticks.

Am I asking too much...?
Volker

some1 - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by some1 - A2A »

Unfortunately yes, I haven't seen any Warthog extension on the market that would match your requirements. Though I have seen some DIY extensions built from curved PCV tubes. Not as pretty, but functional.

Another off-the-shelf option is VKB stick with curved extension. Better than Warthog, but more expensive and they are notoriously out of stock. Or go with a shorter extension and mid desk mount (like Monstertech) instead of floor mounting the joystick. That solves most issues and it's more than enough for precise flying. Actually, warthog with long extension has unrealistically large deflection, it was never designed for such setup.
Michael Krawczyk

vtracy
Senior Airman

Post by vtracy »

Michael,
I have indeed taken the road that you indicate: I have ordered the VKB - and am waiting for delivery, still - hoping that that joystick and its extensions will satisfy my needs.BTW, if you look at the pic closely, you can see (I think) that the pilot students using the stick must be hampered by the stick touching the seat front! Very unrealistic! Just look at the many aircraft seats that have a cutout for the stick... A new seat would be too expensive for my taste, though. Today, I still have mounted the HOTAS to the front of my seat but that proved to be a bit awkward because I want to be able to use my yoke as well, for my 2-engine GA aircraft. That means, the stick must be moved out of the way...
(Hobby=make-work)
Volker

FlyingsCool
Airman First Class

Post by FlyingsCool »

vtracy wrote: 16 May 2019, 12:28 I tried these. They are well made, sturdy and precise. However, I have several problems with them:
1 - They are very heavy; when you use any but the shortest of them, the spring in the base cannot keep the grip centered; the spring has to be replaced, also, not a simple task.
2 - The cables that go with the extensions are a pain to connect; they repeatedly became loose in my setup. (There is a better approach to the extension, using aluminium instead of steel, and the extension comes with a fixed cabling and base connector. This extension, however, is too short for my purpose.)
I find the idea of offering extensions of different length that can be combined to give the required length very good! If that could (somehow, I do not know how) be combined with solid cabling (plugs?), I would buy them again.
Another thing is that in most cockpits you have a seat that requires the stick (or extension stick) to be curved so that when pulling the stick towards you, it does not hit the seat cushion. Actually, I saw several sticks in real (fighter) aircraft that were curved...
I acknowledge that the training setup in the picture does not seem to need the elaborate version of a stick; but I would assume that more sophisticated cockpit arrangements would certainly need curved, lightweight, reliably cabled, joysticks.

Am I asking too much...?
Volker
I like the idea of aluminum tube. I wouldn't like using a PVC tube. Having different lengths or shapes would be quite easily done if the connections at either end of the tube were designed properly and the tube were designed to be replaceable.

vtracy
Senior Airman

Post by vtracy »

#FlyingsCool,
yes aluminium feels and ‚sounds‘ sturdier and more real.
While we are ruminatin‘ about a fitting construction: I could envisage a cable set with two screw-on interfaces for the HOTAS signals etc. at both ends and a set of tubes of different lengths and shapes(bent,...). One then would take one tube and the appropriate cable set, lead the cable through the tube, then connect the cable ends to the screw-on interfaces then to the tube then screw this set to the HOTAS connectors (grip, base). No new idea, here, except for the aluminium and the S-bent tube. Sigh!
Volker

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

vTracy, you might wanna start a new topic on the pilots lounge, you guys are posting some great posts would be best to have its own thread with some of this higher end HOTAS and stick info in. Having recently entered the Hotas arena with an entry level T1600m I am finding it interesting to read all this for sure. That VKB things looks the dogs dangles for sure WOW :shock:

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

vtracy
Senior Airman

Post by vtracy »

Lewis,
I did have a sneaking suspicion that someone would suggest that. I just did not know how to transfer that part of the thread to the new subject. I think it is worth discussing; I just did not anticipate that there were more than a few disappointed simmers here who would like to find a solution.
Can you or the admin do the transfer?

On the subject: I had ordered the VKB, am waiting for delivery around June. By that time, I will have re-constructed my cockpit (using yoke as well as joystick) and will be able to install and test the VKB. Can let you know.
Volker

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Warthog HOTAS Extension: Any Recommendations?

Post by Nick - A2A »

vtracy wrote: 18 May 2019, 05:09 I did have a sneaking suspicion that someone would suggest that. I just did not know how to transfer that part of the thread to the new subject. I think it is worth discussing; I just did not anticipate that there were more than a few disappointed simmers here who would like to find a solution.
Can you or the admin do the transfer?
No problem Volker - I've just done this as requested. :)

Cheers,
Nick

vtracy
Senior Airman

Post by vtracy »

Nick!

That was supersonic!
Looking forward to hearing many suggestions, offers?, from many people.
Volker

vtracy
Senior Airman

Post by vtracy »

People, I now have a VKB joystick. And I can say I am happy! It satisfies all my requirements: it is lightweight(alu), it is curved, the base does not need stronger spring, and last-not-least: they offer several grips BUT I can attach the Warthog grips as well!
So now I could mount the joystick to the front of my seat and it works!
Combine with the Mit freundlichen Grüßen Crosswind pedals, I now have the ideal combination. As I have both for more than 6 months alrady, I assume that they will serve me for a long time (thereby making them cheap in the end).
The ultimate test came a few days ago: I had P3Dv5 HF 1 installed, Orbx EU England and France VFR Pas-de-Calais. I took my Me 109E-3 (thank you A2A for a plane well done!) and did nape of the earth flying across the Channel, from Manston to Calais-Dunkerque. Flying at 20-30m altitude, at 450 k /h requires a very light touch at stick and pedals or else you‘re dead...😬
It was a wonderful experience! I flew across Calais in search of the airport, saw it late, pulled up to lose speed, dumped flaps and gear... and found that I was too high for a normal approach: If I tried to descend normally, I would pick up too much speed (lose flaps?); I did not want to do a missed approach, so for the first time I did a slip (stick to the right, pedals to the left): WOW,
! She fell lime a lift, I almost didn‘t catch her in time for the final approach. But it worked.
All that needs a very sensitive set of controls! And I had them! I am happy!
Volker

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Can you show some pics or links to the stick you have. I have noticed the new brands making more and more inroads and they are getting some great reviews. Its nice to see new names enter the arena :mrgreen: 8)

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

vtracy
Senior Airman

Post by vtracy »

Nick,
belatedly, I looked into this forum again and saw your request for link/pics.
Sorry to be late!

Here is the link with all the pics you might like:
https://flightsimcontrols.com/

If anyone wants to discuss experiences with me, they are most welcome!
I have the simple stick and the extension which is shown under „accessories“.
Be aware that delivery times were(!) long (weeks to months)!
Volker

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

I got my extensions from MFG (Crosswind pedals) they were not expensive and delivery was prompt. I found, through trail and error, that 15cm extension was ideal. 1 10cm and 1 5cm. 20cm made the stick far too soft. Of course desk mounting is out of the question so an attachment from Monstertech in Germany turned out to be ideal.
2c
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”