Flying and Pets

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Hook
Master Sergeant

Re: Flying and Pets

Post by Hook »

My wife did a flight once with our two cats when moving across country. The airline sold us pet carriers with the pet tickets and it was actually less expensive to get them from the airline than it was to buy the same carriers in a store. I was surprised. This was in 1984 and we still have and use the carriers.

People watching the cats get loaded were amused.

Hook

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

I'd avoid taking a pet with me unless it was absolutely impossible to find someone to look after the little guy, or if I was moving at least semi-permanently or something like that. There is a group of people that subject the animals to the ordeal of airport logistics and a flight in the cargo hold with little or no consideration whether that was necessary. Taking them to the vacations, for instance. For some animals, the experience is so frightening to them that they lose their composure altogether, shaking in their boxes like they were picked from icy lake. Sometimes they wet and crap themselves. It is torture really.

There are exceptions. Some animals take the experience more calmly, or in some cases, outright as if they were in control. I recall an international competition of police dogs years back when I spent more time in the apron. These highly trained four-legged officers were flown in from all over. Many made the business clear: if there was not this cage in between, my throat would instantly be mauled. Their saliva splashed on the cargo hold panels and on the faces of the ground crew on each roaring bark. Fangs rattled on the pins of the carrier doors. Everybody watched their fingers carefully. Dogs barked and the crew shouted back curses. Passengers heard the brawl clearly through the cabin floor. They wondered if someone had lost his mind or was there a real fight going on.

-Esa

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

@Danielee123 - is your post by any chance a commercial message on behalf of pet products? Sort of like this one? I hate to play forum policeman - and I'm probably not qualified to take on that role - but I'm wondering idly how A2A might feel about having their forum turned into a promotional bulletin board. Might be something to think about. Hope this is helpful.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks Alan - I edited the posts in question to remove the links. At least the topic has generated some interesting comments.

Danielee123 - please don't make further posts just to advertise pet supplies or they will be removed.

Thanks,
Nick

P.S. Esa - I'm sure highly trained police dogs wouldn't go for the throat. I believe they merely bite off a limb or two to prevent you escaping! :mrgreen:

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Danielee123 has 5 posts. Two advertisements and three "Gee, that's interesting."

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”