An A2A DC-3

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Mantock
Staff Sergeant

An A2A DC-3

Post by Mantock »

I was fantasising about this on one my my recent live streams.

An A2A DC-3 would be AMAZEBALLS.

I mean, for a while I have been banging on about the Lanc, and many of us do, because well,, its the Lanc. But yes, lets be realistic and realise there's only two of them left that fly and its not the easiest aircraft to get data on.

BUT

Enter stage left - the DC-3!

There have been so many of them built, and a good handful still in service that I think a DC-3 would be a much better option. It would fit VERY well in the lineup with the B377 and Connie, both of those being long haul international passenger haulers, and the DC-3 was the domestic. Its an incredibly famous aircraft, people don't need aviation enthusiasts to spot a DC-3, anyone who loves Indiana Jones should be able to spot a DC-3.

AND - the simming community dont actually HAVE a good DC-3. (ok there is the freeware version but comon guys - Accusim? nope - not there)
We have the DC-6 from PMDG which is great, nothing bad to be said about that, but the DC-3 is the classic, much loved regional propmaster that is known and loved by so many.

I'm running out of good pro's to my cause here guys so please chip in!

-Peter
ImageImage

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: An A2A DC-3

Post by Alan_A »

Mantock wrote:
...the simming community dont actually HAVE a good DC-3. (ok there is the freeware version but comon guys - Accusim? nope - not there)
We have the DC-6 from PMDG which is great, nothing bad to be said about that...
Many of us who fly - and some of us who work on - the Manfred Jahn C-47 project are interested to learn that it isn't good.

Among other things, you might want to pass that along to Alexander Metzger, who wrote the FDE for the PMDG DC-6 - and also the Manfred Jahn C-47.

We get it - and an Accu-Sim DC-3 would be very nice - but maybe ask without bashing?
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Sorry, but the Manfred Jahn C-47 is so good I can't see why it would not satisfy most DC3 enthusiasts. I would think it would be a waste for A2A to do A DC3. There are lot's of other classic twins that have not been done that would be a better use of A2As resources. A little more performance than a DC3 would also be something that would be more appealing. Because of the Manfred Jahn C-47 being available I would probably not even buy a A2A DC3/C47. I don't fly GA and pretty much only fly warbirds and stuff from the golden age. Just my opinion of course. Everyone has the right to lust after whatever airplanes or woman they choose (not necessarily in that order). :D

Mantock
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mantock »

Thankyou for your replies gentlemen,

I must say straight up that my love of accusim aircraft means its hard to see other addons in quite the same light, so I admit I should come off the soap box and stop bashing. I apologise - particularly to those who work on the Manfred DC-3. I have used it a while back and did appreciate it then for its level of detail, maybe rather than yearning for an A2A version I should go and reinstall that!
I can see that my over-zealous words of 'the simming community don't actually HAVE a good DC-3' where said in ignorance, where said in haste without proper research.

To resurrect the thread into something more constructive, dvm, you mentioned other vintage twin engine GA aircraft, I'd be interested to know more?

Regards,
-Peter
ImageImage

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Mantock wrote: To resurrect the thread into something more constructive, dvm, you mentioned other vintage twin engine GA aircraft, I'd be interested to know more?

Regards,
-Peter
Off the top off my head...…………..

Multi-country, military and civi options, and probably a sizable amount of repaint opportunities. At least it's one that gets overlooked and hardly ever mentioned, on top of just being a really nice looking aircraft.
FAC257

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

Needs a Braniff paint to officially be civil. :mrgreen:

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

@FAC257 - I'd be down with that!

@Mantock - I'd be down with an A2A DC-3, too. We get it - if we weren't Accu-Sim fans, we wouldn't be here. But how many aircraft can A2A turn out? They've done, what, two in the past two years? Granted that the pace may pick up, but still... they can't handle everything, and there are nice alternatives out there that fill the gaps. Don't let the best be the enemy of the good!

Mantock
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mantock »

Well said Alan!

I will definitely give the Manfred DC-3 another run!! thanks
ImageImage

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

patful wrote:Needs a Braniff paint to officially be civil. :mrgreen:
Saw these while living on Patrick AFB, so I had to go with a USAF pic. :D

One way to look at it, is its sort of a DC-3 but with the "tail wheel" moved to the correct end of the aircraft. :)
FAC257

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

Last edited by patful on 07 Feb 2019, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

I fly a C-47 for DC-3 Airways (http://www.dc3airways.net/). I joined back in December 2008, and I've got almost 900 hours logged, in the original FS2004 DC-3, The MAAM C-47, and lately, the MJ C-47. That was what I did before discovering A2A aircraft. I have to admit, it's way more fun to fly my A2A Bonanza, or P-51, or..., but I still really do appreciate and enjoy my trusty MJ C-47. Oh yeah - it's got Accu-Feel! This is the ONLY non-A2A aircraft I fly.

I probably wouldn't buy an A2A C-47 for two reasons: 1) I really enjoy Ernie the copilot and Nancy the stewardess, and wouldn't want to leave them standing on the ramp, and 2) I just want to get in the airplane and fly when I'm flying for DC-3 Airways, or when I'm on one of those GAAR or WRA rallies. I like knowing that my engines will be brand new on each flight. Must be getting soft in my old age.

Here is the MAIN reason why I would just as soon NOT have A2A invest their time and resources to develop an A2A DC-3. Drum roll, please. He opens the envelope. OK. I want A2A to build us an early B-25 Mitchell! Anything they do with some other twin makes it less likely they'll work on a B-25. Just think of it. All that power! Speed! Maneuverability! That was all I could think of when I was watching a real B-25 flying around Reno Stead on Sunday afternoon after the races were over.

We NEED a B-25!! Then we need somebody to develop a Yorktown-class aircraft carrier...

Seeya
ATB

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

Mantock wrote:Well said Alan!

I will definitely give the Manfred DC-3 another run!! thanks
Depending on when you last tried it, it may have evolved a little - or a lot.

It can be hard to track down the latest version - here's a link (in post #5 - should be at the top of your screen).

Oh, and about that saying - you're welcome - but credit where it's due!

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

A2A CURRENTLY HAS A DC3 IN DEVELOPMENT!!!!!

.....is what I want to see A2A publish in an update :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

FAC257 wrote:
Mantock wrote: To resurrect the thread into something more constructive, dvm, you mentioned other vintage twin engine GA aircraft, I'd be interested to know more?

Regards,
-Peter

Multi-country, military and civi options, and probably a sizable amount of repaint opportunities. At least it's one that gets overlooked and hardly ever mentioned, on top of just being a really nice looking aircraft.
I'd buy an A2A Convair in a heartbeat. One that should NOT be overlooked.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

FAC257 wrote:

Regards,
-Peter

How about Beech 18 or a A26 to name two.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”