Confusing message while trying to install A2A aircrafts

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
larshgf
Airman

Confusing message while trying to install A2A aircrafts

Post by larshgf »

Hi,

In order to get the newest editions of my 3 A2A aircrafts (c172, c182, comanche 250) I have done as follows:
(1) I have uninstalled the aircrafts using the advice in this forum for the early editions for the the P3Dv4 (from early spring 2018). I succeeded in this effort and there are no A2A aircrafts in my Control Panel. Afterwards deleted all relevant A2A maps as advised.

(2) I have downloaded the newest edition of the 3 A2A aircrafts (in the new store to which they where kindly transferred a few days ago).

(3) Now finally I want to install the newest editions. I have drives C, D, E and F and my A2A aircrafts was installed (as far as I remember) on the E-drive. Now when trying to install the 3 new editions editions I get the message that I have allready one A2A product installed on my F:\A2A\
- but there is no A2A products installed anywhere on my PC? How do I solve this problem?

Best Regards
Lars

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Confusing message while trying to install A2A aircrafts

Post by Gypsy Baron »

LArs, did you check that directory to see if there anything there? Make sure you have 'Show hidden
files, folders and drives' in the Control Panel, folder options enabled just to be sure there is nothing left there.

The message indicates that you had previously installed the A2A aircraft in F:A2A, at least the installed thinks so.
If any A2A aircraft are installed, the new installers force the install to the directory containing the A2A aircraft thus something on the F: drive is forcing the issue.

Perhaps just deleting the A2A folder on the F: drive might 'fix' the problem. It is possible that there is something left in the registry that is causing the problem.

I would guess that Nick will be by to offer his expertise in this matter if removing the A2A folder doesn't work.

. Paul

larshgf
Airman

Post by larshgf »

Paul, thank you for your answer!
My F-drive is a smalll 100 Gb HD which only contained a few programs. I deleted these and afterwards made a fast format of the drive. But maybe the reg database is the sinner?
I have tried to run a program to clean the reg database (Paretologic PC Health Advisor) but unfortunately it did not solve the problem!
Maybe there are better "cleaning-programs" to use for this problem?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Lars,

Have you seen the info in this pinned topic? (Specifically step 2.)

If you're sure there's no leftover "F:\A2A" directory (even an empty one) from a previous installation, it sound like you may just need to launch Prepar3D once to refresh its add-on.cfg files.

Thanks,
Nick

larshgf
Airman

Post by larshgf »

Hi Nick,

After reading the pinned topic I launched P3D and unfortunately without luck. I still got the same message.
So I downloaded another "cleaning-program" (CCLEANER) and ran an registry database cleaning. Ccleaner found about 250 errors including these....

Application Paths Issue F:\A2A\A2A\Cessna172\UNWISE.EXE
Application Paths Issue F:\A2A\A2A\Cessna182\UNWISE.EXE
Application Paths Issue F:\A2A\A2A\Comanche250\UNWISE.EXE

I ran a fix for all the errors and thought the problem was solved. But unfortunately not.
Same message as before! Relaunched P3D - restarted my PC. Still the same.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks Lars,

Just to clarify, Prepar3D's add-ons.cfg files don't read from the Windows registry so deleting registry entries isn't the solution here.

As far as I'm aware, the add-ons.cfg file will continue to register an add-on as installed if the original installation directory is still present, even if it's completely empty. For the custom directory you used previously (F:\A2A) the add-ons.cfg file which should record this information is located as follows:

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\add-ons.cfg

Please can you try opening this file with a text editor and check if it contains a section relating to A2A containing the F:\A2A path from your prior installation?

Cheers,
Nick

larshgf
Airman

Post by larshgf »

Thanks Nick,

I think you are right. The add-ons.cfg contain the following text:

[Package.0]
PATH=F:\A2A
TITLE=A2A P3D Add-Ons
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false

Can I just delete the add-ons.cfg file?

BR Lars

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Lars,

Yes, you can safely delete the file if that's the only entry it contains. However, it's rather odd that this entry still remains if the directory in question has been removed and you've subsequently launched P3D.

Thanks,
Nick

larshgf
Airman

Post by larshgf »

Thanks a lot Nick - problem solved! :)

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”