Time for a new computer

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
bmbrzmn101
Staff Sergeant

Time for a new computer

Post by bmbrzmn101 »

So the time has come to replace my almost 10 year old gaming computer.
I am leaning towards a Jetline systems GT2 decked out. But I am tinkering with the idea of building my own. Not thrilled with that option but considering it. If I go Jetline is there anything I should to be added as far as extra memory or anything? I have always bought of the shelf so this will be new territory for me.

I guess not knowing what to ask for and why are the big hurdles for me. I don’t really speak computer terms much, soooo

Any help up front is appreciated

I will be running my boxed fsx accel and purchsing P3D at the same time if Jetline does it. Just have to fund this thing either way

Thanks Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The voices in your head will quieten down when you begin listening to them!

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Re: Time for a new computer

Post by Raceguy »

HI Chris

I have a Jetline GT2 and I'm very happy with the PC and the support. I have always built my own PC's but I had heard such good things
about Jetline here on the forum so I gave them a call. They asked what sim I planned to use as well as a lot of other questions to help
me determine what I needed. I added 2 more GPU cards because I am running 6 monitors.

Since receiving the PC I have added a 2TB HDD for more general storage and a second 500GB SSD for scenery.

Here are the specs. for my PC but keep in mind that I got this last June. Today you can get better components for the same or less money.

Hope this helps.

Ed

Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit)
Chassis: Cooler Master Storm Scout II
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Z270x Gaming 5, LGA 1151
Processor:Intel 7th Gen Core i7 7700K (4.8GHz Overclock) Quad Core
CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H60 Liquid Cooling
System Memory: 16GB Kingston DDR4 SDRAM 2400MHz
Graphics Processor: 8GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070
Graphics Processor: 2 extra GTX 730
System Power: 750 Watt Corsair RM Series Power Supply
PCI Express 3.0
Sound Card: 7.1 High Definition Integrated Audio
Primary SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 850 (SSD)
Secondary Hard Drive: 1TB WD Black 7200 RPM
Optical Drive: 20x DVD/CD Burner Drive
Networking: Integrated High Speed Network Ready (10/100/1000)

If at first you do succeed, try not to look too surprised!

bmbrzmn101
Staff Sergeant

Post by bmbrzmn101 »

That is a huge help! Thanks
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buffy Foster

Post by Buffy Foster »

I liked building mine with Dad supervising and offering advice as I went. I learned lots doing it too. :)

But ppl that got those custom ones like you're looking at all seem real happy with them. too.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

I always tell people the same thing. There simply isn't a better system available to the sim market than a Jetline.
I've had every system you can imagine both pre-made and custom made and there simply isn't anything better than owning a Jetline.
Some folks like to tinker with computers. I'm not one of them. I don't want to have to deal with this one day and that the next just to get something up and running. With Jetline Systems if something isn't right, (and I can't even remember the last time it wasn't) t
heir lifetime support is a phone call away. If need be they can enter the system on line and troubleshoot it for you. You simply can't get better service.
I've had my Jetline running for some time now and have had very few issues with it.
Dudley Henriques

AerialShorts
Staff Sergeant

Post by AerialShorts »

If you are interested at all in VR, you will want to let them know. While you can run VR on most mid to upper tier systems, if you know you want to run it, it can make a difference in how you provision your system.
VR Simming with HP G2 - And Loving It!

bmbrzmn101
Staff Sergeant

Post by bmbrzmn101 »

Thanks for the help and ideas. I am not considering vr at this time, but Ken at Jetline did make recommendations that now would be the time if I wanted to. Just not wanting to add more money than needed to the build for something that would be cool, but not used frequently. I don't use my trackIR that often either. but I am open to options and opinions.

Thanks, Chris

AerialShorts
Staff Sergeant

Post by AerialShorts »

Actually, if you aren’t interested in VR, now might be the best time to not be interested in VR. It’s only rumor but there could be at least one gen 2 headset next spring sometime. If it is what people are suspecting, it will need the new VirtualLink connector which forces 20 series video cards. It may force other things as well but we’ll have to see if it even happens. Prototype photos from last July were leaked and those are what the speculation is based on. If true, it could also decrease compute requirements as the real detail would only be rendered where you are looking.

But that said, at least for me, VR is the way to go for flight sims. I used to use TrackIR too but it was awkward as you had to turn your head away from your monitor to look right, left, up, or down. VR is 1:1. You just look where you want to see. The effect is something that you have to experience to understand how powerful. That your head movement is immediately reflected in what you see is just part of it. It’s full size, 3D, and you are in the cockpit. It’s amazing. And all the cues add up to make the brain accept it as real. And just like an optical illusion, your brain adds information to make it even more real.

But in the FSX/P3D world, you need a powerful computer, it adds expense, it can be fiddly at times, and interacting with cockpit controls is more awkward. Not that gen 2, if it is indeed coming, will help with any of that, but it could really push the needle to absolutely stunning for the experience.

But we don’t know if/when gen 2. We do know Oculus has announced a refresh, something probably like the Vive Pro, in the spring as well. Even that should significantly upgrade the experience. But both the Pro and Rift "1.5" push the limits of current systems.

Even if you aren’t interested in VR now, it is getting better, may soon get significantly better, and totally changes the experience even now. But waiting will give time for it to get even better.

Enjoy your system! ;-)
VR Simming with HP G2 - And Loving It!

bmbrzmn101
Staff Sergeant

Post by bmbrzmn101 »

Thanks for the VR tips! The clumsiness of the cockpit controls has always been the big big turnoff to me with vr. I have several things besides joysticks to keep track of, radio stack, control panel, and instrument gauge and I enjoy an extra monitor for my nav map just to name some. Unless the vr also has some sort of window/viewing port those could be awkward. The 20 series card is what I am leaning towards at the moment as it should deal with most anything I throw at for years. Sadly, I tend to keep computers about 8-10 years before replacing. So I only want to cry once about it. Lol. But you make me want to explore the option a little more.

Thanks, Chris

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”