Virginia’s Mountain Empire

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

PIREP - Just a heads up on some obscure little jewels I find I enjoy a great deal - they’re not big - they won’t handle a 747 - but they’re well done and perfect for GA... These guys are focused on the Mountain Empire region of VA and at $5.00 a pop they are more than reasonably priced...

They’ve now released two - which I own - with a third in the oven - out of 9 planned...

Full Disclosure - I am in no way - shape - or form - related to this company other than being a happy customer...

Worth a look of you’re looking for something off the beaten track for some fun in your new Bonanza... Put on some John Denver and country roads take me home...

http://www.theairportguys.com/index.html

KHLX - Twin County - VA

0VG - Lee County - VA

Work in Progress: KGDY - Grundy Municipal - VA

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Skyfox
Senior Airman

Re: Virginia’s Mountain Empire

Post by Skyfox »

Thank you for sharing the info.

How is their support? these airports in my home state - so I gotta check these out.

First time hearing about these guys? are they on avsim?

Simicro
Senior Airman

Post by Simicro »

Hello Scott,

Good catch!

Thanks for the heads up mate.

I like the concept:
...general aviation "packs" which included 5-10 general aviation airports within the same geographical area...

Custom terrain will be included for the immediate vicinity of each airport and in the entire region where practical. Many structures near and around the airports will be included as well, to provide a realistic experience.

Each airport will be priced at a modest $5. That's it. Just $5. You'll be able to have up to 9 high-quality general aviation airports - for flights possible as short as 25nm and as long as 150nm - with high-resolution terrain mesh (where available) for a maximum of $45.
P3Dv4.5 - V35B - C172 - Cherokee
i5 4670K @4.3 Ghz - 32 Gb DDR3 - GTX 1080 8 Gb - 2K @165 Hz G-Sync - Win 7 x64
Microsoft Force Feedback 2 modded with CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Skyfox wrote:Thank you for sharing the info.

How is their support? these airports in my home state - so I gotta check these out.

First time hearing about these guys? are they on avsim?
Hi...

Yeah - they don’t really advertise and I only happened to stumble across their first release by accident... I did recall their company name though - as they released Myrtle Beach way back when and I followed their multi year development effort on FS Developer... I guess they decided to focus on much smaller airports now...

I haven’t seen them on AvSim - lol - it’s like they prefer stealth mode... Based on their price and niche - they probably can’t afford much advertising...

I had an issue with their new release - as my mesh setting was set too low - needs to be maxed - sent an email to their listed support and “Jon” responded in no time - I’d consider that good...

While you might not see it in the shots I posted - the ground polys are very detailed and look great - they have an option to blend with ORBX... They use a very high resolution mesh that adds undulations within the confines of the airport boundaries - adds a bunch of visual interest to these small little airports... While overall modeling is not quite ORBX - it’s really quite good...

Honestly - for $5.00 how can you go wrong ?

Regards,
Scott

Last edited by scottb613 on 21 Nov 2018, 10:27, edited 3 times in total.

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Simicro wrote:Hello Scott,

Good catch!

Thanks for the heads up mate.

I like the concept:
Hi Tony,

I do too - as these are the type of places that many GA pilots spend most of their time...

For the record - all the grey around Lee County is there in real life as well... Grundy looks like the most fun - a mountain top airport...

Regards,
Scott

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

I like those rolling hills and rural looking woods covering them. :) I wonder how those towns are like, no idea in my head whatsoever what the life might be like in those parts of the US.

-Esa

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Esa,

A great deal slower, friendlier, and more laid back than life in a big city - which is far better in my book...

I’ve worked in downtown Manhattan most of my life - my retirement plan is to head for the north woods of Maine - never to return - for a very rural existence - probably similar to the hills of western Virginia... I’ve had it with NYC...

Regards,
Scott

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”