Accu-Sim Re-organization

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
guillaume78150
Staff Sergeant

Re: Accu-Sim Re-organization

Post by guillaume78150 »

Yesterday, I "flew" a standard FSX A/C... Well, I cancelled the flight after 2 minutes. It's just no longer acceptable once you have flown an A2A bird.
But that's interesting, it helps to, let's say "recalibrate" the ability to assess A2A's development work quality.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Scott: Yeah, it's gotta be A2A with Accu-Sim, or it's not happening. The one exception that I'll allow is my MJ C-47, with Accu-Feel.

That 500 variables thing got me thinking... A couple weeks ago I was reading a discussion about leaning on the Bonanza forum. Some folks say you are supposed to run lean-of-peak; others say you'll ruin the engine, especially if you have a big Continental. Once again I delved into the Internet to find out what was what, especially as pertains to the IO-550 in my Bonanza. I landed on a pretty interesting web site, General Aviation Modifications, Inc: http://www.gami.com/gamijectors/gamijectors.php. They state that aircraft engines tend to run richer on the front cylinders, and progressively leaner as you go from the middle to the rear cylinders, which tends to produce uneven cylinder temperatures. If you install the individually tuned GAMIjector® fuel injectors, your engine will run smoother, and head temps will be much more consistent at normal operating ranges. This allows running lean-of-peak with less worry about rear cylinders running too hot. They have a pretty cool demo video on that web site.

I thought, "Hey, we probably already have GAMIjector® fuel injectors, because there's no way A2A would get into the level of detail neccesary to simulate uneven fuel mixtures based on position in the engine." Now I'm not so sure!

Also, I can't think of another sim aircraft that we would even care about this stuff!

Thank you for your excellent work.

Seeya
ATB

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

"Buy our product and you can run lean of peak." With any luck Accu-Sim will properly model engine damage due to running LOP. :)

I will say that every time I start a non-Accu-Sim engine I miss A2A's modelling. Maybe some day we'll have an Accu-Engine to go along with Accu-Feel so my Stearman, DC-3, and Beaver (and a couple of others I like to fly) will have sophisticated engines as well. Hint. Hint hint.

Hook

pilot37
Senior Airman

Post by pilot37 »

I am having the same reaction in that every time I return to a non A2A aeroplane I last about 20 minutes before I realise I am just a bit bored.

I generally fly a "used" A2A GA. I think this stems from coming from a generation who in their youth ran and maintained their own unreliable old cars.

So the big issue is not enough A2A style product (and worse, no road-map from A2A ;-)

1. Why not then an accu-engine to go along with accu-feel?.....(or just get the new product flow running again).

2. And what's the limiting factor on having a full maintenance hangar on the the Connie / Stratocruiser....like with the B17?

Mustang
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mustang »

pilot37 wrote:1. Why not then an accu-engine to go along with accu-feel?.....(or just get the new product flow running again).

2. And what's the limiting factor on having a full maintenance hangar on the the Connie / Stratocruiser....like with the B17?
I'll take a guess at these:

1. This is possible but it would be only 20% of a proper Accu-Simmed aircraft. A2A go to such lengths to model the aircraft that making an 'Accu-Engine' for other aircraft out on the market wouldn't produce the same result. Sure, your oil would need replacing and you could get a walkaround, and a few parts might break, but it would have to be modelled fairly lightly to avoid a development time almost as long as a full Accu-Sim aircraft. And I don't think doing things by halves is the A2A way...

2. As much as I'd love this too, revisiting/updating older products is a low priority, mainly for business reasons I guess. They have to focus on new developments and pushing the boundaries forward, but I hope some improvements will slowly feed back into older products, especially as and when they get updated for newer platforms.

These are my own views, I can't and don't speak on behalf of A2A of course :)

Martyn

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

...it would be only 20% of a proper Accu-Simmed aircraft.
Sounds good to me. That's more than we have now. And it still gives a good reason for people to buy full Accu-Simmed aircraft so it won't be competition.

I doubt a walkaround would be possible, but I don't have that on my A2A Accu-Sim Cub either.

So what might be possible?

Spark plugs fouling, etc. Right now, doing a run-up on a normal aircraft is mostly role playing. There are no advantages to doing it, and no liabilities if you skip it. I'll still do it on every Stearman flight but the only useful information I get out of it is how much to lean the engine for maximum RPM, which I'll use when I pull the power back to 75% after takeoff.

Oil usage and engine wear. The hardest part of this would be determining the amount of oil a plane carries. Most of the other parameters they would need are in the aircraft.cfg file. A simplified 2D "maintenance hangar" could be probably designed to be compatible with any piston aircraft.

Failures. Heck, anything is better than the stock FSX version. Accu-Engine could keep track of how the plane is treated and act accordingly. Some people will want this, others will want to turn it off.

Having to actually monitor engine instruments. More sophisticated carb icing. Probably a lot more that I can think of on the spur of the moment off the top of my head.

Now, why in the would would I want such a thing? Because I want to fly a Stearman and a DC-3 and A2A doesn't make either, or anything similar in Accu-Sim livery. Or a Grumman Goose. The closest I can get to that in a sophisticated plane is Aerosoft's PBY.

Is all this possible? I don't know. Perhaps someone else has already made such a package, but if so I doubt it would be near as good as one made by A2A. At least some of the necessary code already exists at A2A. One package for FSX/FSX:SE, another for P3D version 1-3, another for P3D version 4, with Academic and Professional versions for P3D. Some of these packages will be the same.

I would pre-purchase this sight unseen for delivery within 12 months, just based on A2A's reputation, and I doubt I'm alone.

Hook

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”