B-17G WEP

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Cherokeepilot19
Senior Airman

B-17G WEP

Post by Cherokeepilot19 »

On some accounts, the B-17G had War Emergency Power. I have been looking through some aircraft, like the B-29, that have it equipped. It looks like boost system=3 is WEP and 2 is water injection. I am looking to add WEP to my B-17 for single player, and i wanted some suggestions on what to add for the settings.

What is is NOW:
emergency_boost_type=0
emergency_boost_mp_offset=0.000
emergency_boost_gain_offset=0.000

My Idea:
emergency_boost_type=3
emergency_boost_mp_offset=4.000
emergency_boost_gain_offset=0.400

What should i set boost MP_OFFSET and GAIN_OFFSET to for a realistic setting? And can i add duration to my pleasing in seconds?

Thanks
"A good landing is one you can walk away from.. A great landing is one when you can reuse the plane!" :D
i9-9900k @ 5.2 GHz W/C'ed
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti HYBRID 11GB
32GB DDR4 @ 3400 MHz
ASUS Z390-E | EVGA 1200w P2
970 Evo+ 512gb

46th_Terror
Staff Sergeant

Post by 46th_Terror »

WEP in a B-17 is a throttle setting. Not something added like this. Putting a B-17 in WEP is simply advancin g the throttles to their maximun position but in real life if held there to long it will cause engine malfunctions.

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

Why would you want to put something like that in an aircraft that didn't have it? (Except as Terror noted)

And to put it in an aircraft that has no need for it in a civilian flight simulation?

Sure the 17 was slow with a bomb load, but once that load was dropped, testing proved that the 17 could reach 275 with no problems. Certainly not fast enough to evade an enemy fighter, but then as a rule B-17s did not fly solo and did not need WEP, because when you have hundreds of .50s blazing at an enemy aircraft, they tend not to stick around.
Snuffy

SD_Research
A2A Major

Re: B-17G WEP

Post by SD_Research »

Cherokeepilot19 wrote:On some accounts, the B-17G had War Emergency Power. I have been looking through some aircraft, like the B-29, that have it equipped. It looks like boost system=3 is WEP and 2 is water injection. I am looking to add WEP to my B-17 for single player, and i wanted some suggestions on what to add for the settings.

What is is NOW:
emergency_boost_type=0
emergency_boost_mp_offset=0.000
emergency_boost_gain_offset=0.000

My Idea:
emergency_boost_type=3
emergency_boost_mp_offset=4.000
emergency_boost_gain_offset=0.400

What should i set boost MP_OFFSET and GAIN_OFFSET to for a realistic setting? And can i add duration to my pleasing in seconds?

Thanks
The war emergency power was modeled with a high degree of accuracy in all the WoP bombers, and this is explained with clarity in the manual and in the individual aircraft's checklists. Those parameters you mention are largely the "arcadish" CFS2-style method of mimicking WEP with a sort of "turbo boost". We did it accurately. Read the manual and checklist, but for a primer, here is something straight out of the B-17 checklist (WoP):

"For short field takeoff, the manifold pressure may be set to the maximum war emergency setting of 55 in. Hg and the propeller governor control may be set to 2760 RPM. These represent the maximum possible propeller and throttle settings. Use 1/3 flaps and use a three point takeoff technique, climbing at full war emergency power. Do not use war emergency power for more than two minutes."

We even provided a special gage you will need to use to set the proper takeoff RPM, which of course is not provided in the real aircraft, but was necessary because FS does not duplicate the limits on the propeller controls in the actual aircraft.

The method we used was very accurate and is explained in great detail in the WoP manual so there is no need to repeat it here, but basically you are in control of the power at all times, there is no such thing as a WEP button or switch, that is all arcade stuff. :wink:

46th_Terror
Staff Sergeant

Post by 46th_Terror »

Also the B-17 could maintain a decent flight speed with bombload. Thay mainely usedd the standatd 150 because it allowed the longest range of the aircraft.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”