Looking for some guidance for 3rd party GPS

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
wblackret
Staff Sergeant

Looking for some guidance for 3rd party GPS

Post by wblackret »

I’ve looked at Flight 1, Reality XP and Mindstar regarding the GTN 750/650 and GNS 530/430. Does one work or perform better with A2A aircraft ( currently have the C 172/182 and Comanche). Is one easier to install prior to making the selection in the individual A2A aircraft configuration and does one come with current up to date AIRAC/NAVDATA files. I’ve read through some forum posts on other sites and kind of get the feeling some can be a real headache to deal with. Would appreciate some feedback before I make a purchase. Thanks!
Bill Black

C172,C182,250 Comanche,J3 Cub,P-40,Bonanza
MSFS, P3Dv4.5
JETLINE GT2
W10,Z390 PRO MB,9TH GEN I7 9700K 4.9 GHZ (OC),KRAKEN M22 120 MHZ CPU LC,32 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 3200 GHZ RAM, EVGA 8 GB RTX 2070 SUPER,850 WATT CORSAIR PS,2TB CORSAIR SSD.

ryanbatc
Staff Sergeant

Re: Looking for some guidance for 3rd party GPS

Post by ryanbatc »

Hi. I've owned pretty much all the RXP and F1 avionics addons over the years.

To put it simply, the F1 GTN units work in many more addons, and the RXP version, while I think is a little better, doesn't natively work in as many addons (because the RXP versions are much newer). I say natively because you can effectively swap in a RXP GTN in place of a F1 GTN. And then there are mods to make the buttons work.

So in short you want less hassle get the F1. But if you want better functionality and better graphics and don't mind a little work, get the RXP. They started the addon avionics market in the first place.

Oh also, as for the GTN vs GNS series. It all depends on what you want.... high tech - you'll want the GTN 750. Decent but lower tech and old, get the GNS. You should google the differences between GTN and GNS. The GTN my preferred device, because for starters, you can load airways. Both will fly RNAV (GPS) approaches with LPV minimums and the autopilot can couple to the glide path. A neat feature that the GNS' can do is crossfill a flight plan. If you own both GNS 530/430 you can enter the flight plan onto one and crossfill to the other. You can't do that in the GTN units (yet).

PM me if you need details.

(these are all RXP with working clickspots)

Imageall by ryan b, on Flickr

Here's the trusty GNS530W in the old Baytower RV7 (which works great in P3D v4 with Bert's mods)

ImageUntitled-1 by ryan b, on Flickr

wblackret
Staff Sergeant

Re: Looking for some guidance for 3rd party GPS

Post by wblackret »

Thanks Ryan b. I appreciate your information. Perhaps I may PM you regarding this.
Bill Black

C172,C182,250 Comanche,J3 Cub,P-40,Bonanza
MSFS, P3Dv4.5
JETLINE GT2
W10,Z390 PRO MB,9TH GEN I7 9700K 4.9 GHZ (OC),KRAKEN M22 120 MHZ CPU LC,32 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 3200 GHZ RAM, EVGA 8 GB RTX 2070 SUPER,850 WATT CORSAIR PS,2TB CORSAIR SSD.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”