Thoughts on people in the airplane

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Thoughts on people in the airplane

Post by Paughco »

I thought this one up while riding back from the Reno Air Races on my motorcycle. First, let me say that I am an old white guy, but while living and formerly working in the Great Northwet, I have been fully exposed to the ideals of a more inclusive society. I can select from two male pilots and two female pilots when I go for a ride in the Comanche. The pilot I select is of course, the one that looks most like myself. Actually, it's most like how I used to look, as now the guy would need gray hair. For a right side passenger, I select the lady that looks most like my wife.

What about the other ethnic folks - the black and brown folks, and the Asian folks? If I were a black guy, I think I'd like for my Mustang to be flown by a guy who looked more like me.

Now I don't want for A2A to cease all production until they can develop a PC Department and develop ethnic diversity standards for aircraft pilots and passengers. Maybe one of our great painters could help out a bit. Wouldn't it be great if we could download and install a pilot who looked a bit more like us, especially if we're not the stereotypical white guy?

Oh yeah - one of the things I saw on the big walk way behind the bleachers was a booth for the Red Tail Squadron. Very cool. I stopped there and thanked them (actually, more like their grand-dads) for keeping our B-17s safe.

I'm probably not expressing this sentiment too eloquently, as I'm kinda fried. Yesterday I rode from Reno to John Day, Oregon, and today I rode home to my secret HQ in the Snoqualmie Valley. Needless to say, the Reno Air Races were a TOTAL BLAST! The Gold Unlimited was worth the trip all by itself!

Seeya
ATB

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Re: Thoughts on people in the airplane

Post by Medtner »

I second this. If it doesn't interfere with code-limitations (I'm not talking about color, but limits of space), some effort could be made to make a more inclusive choice. As a white cis-male it is often too easy to neglect noticing things like this. I hadn't really thought about it before you mentioned, but it would be good to have a choice of colors. I've used to have a white guy to represent my then latino boyfriend, so I guess I have noticed before.
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

A perfectly reasonable and logical post, I thought.

And welcome back home...swapping sunshine and warm(?) temperatures for some lovely rain and even more spectacular clouds!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

Nice idea! Not sure painting is the way to go, though, at least not with my limited skills. Attempts at making a balding, greying me and a brunette or redheaded Heidi have failed miserably.

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Post by DC3 »

I second the motion. Other relate-able persons would be good. I personally don't require it, but if I did I would appreciate it greatly.

addman
Staff Sergeant

Post by addman »

Also, more hats and headwear otherwise would be great. :mrgreen:
Cheers!/Andreas

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

I turned Heidi into a ginger top for the T-6, to represent my daughter more. I also made the pilot in the v4 Spitfire slightly darker in tone. He looked a bit anaemic in my opinion. Still Anglo Saxon in appearance though because that's what I am, although, research suggests that I have Norman ancestry.

Steve.

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

I don’t spend much time looking on the aircraft from the outside anyway. I really don care how the pixels look..remember if A2A changes any of the people, soon more will have to follow, what about those who weigh to much, how about those who is missing an arm, is disabled, really tall or really low?? Why haven’t they made any German, Japanese or Chinese aircraft only American and British??

I would prefer A2A to concentrate on the next Accu-Sim product instead of changing the 0’s and 1’s that is the “people” inside our fake aircraft.

Over and out.
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

Bruce66
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bruce66 »

And long hair, beards..

I am thinking there could be (I am probably wrong about this) an easy way to personalise or select 4 people and put them in the mix prior to reving up the simulator to avoid memory or space or whatever being used up whilst in flight. ( Is it obvious I am completely unknowledgeable about this process? :) )

Edit: Like skins for pilots....?

If I remember right in Il-2 you could put your own face on a pilot...
Last edited by Bruce66 on 19 Sep 2018, 07:40, edited 1 time in total.
Gaming Computer

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Six Core CPU
Gigabyte X570 GAMING X: ATX
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz
Nvidia GTX 1050Ti Windforce2 4GB GDDR5
Display: 27-Inch Curved LED Monitor

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

I don't think it would be practical really. The A2A method seems to be to fold-up-and-stuff the unused models in the fuselage. This would be a severe limitation on the smaller aircraft. The larger ones not so much though.

Steve.

BrettT
Staff Sergeant

Post by BrettT »

The idea seems like a nice idea though I suspect they are limited in what they can accomplish with regards to the number of people to choose from. I suspect this because sometimes if you watch when the plane is being rendered and skinned you can catch a glimpse of the 4 passengers at various positions in the plane (engine compartment, luggage compartment, etc) depending if they have been selected in the load out screen. If they have been selected then they are in a seat, if not they are tucked in the engine compartment. In other words the people models are always in the plane whether in the seat or not. So this does seem like a limitation. Taking that into consideration this sounds like a good opportunity for some of the artists in the community that do aircraft skins to apply their skills to the people template as well.

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Tomas Linnet wrote:I don’t spend much time looking on the aircraft from the outside anyway. I really don care how the pixels look..remember if A2A changes any of the people, soon more will have to follow, what about those who weigh to much, how about those who is missing an arm, is disabled, really tall or really low?? Why haven’t they made any German, Japanese or Chinese aircraft only American and British??

I would prefer A2A to concentrate on the next Accu-Sim product instead of changing the 0’s and 1’s that is the “people” inside our fake aircraft.

Over and out.
I agree with Tomas I think too much contemplation and not enough flying may be the issue here. However, I do think A2A should include a menagerie of support animals.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Facial hair. Hair styles. Clothing. Considering the textures are in the file characters.dds in the texture folder, we should be able to get a lot of variation.

So... why hasn't anyone in the community provided some new characters.dds files? And maybe a way to mix and match any four characters you choose, as long as it is two males and two females.

If we are doing new character meshes, someone will want children. It might work with a new separate model file: exterior, interior, passengers. Cargo. Interiors with removable seats.

Personally, I don't care as long as I have a pilot and maybe a passenger or three, and I've never looked at them that closely anyway. :)

Hook

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Anyone remember Bill Lyons some of his aircraft had the a feature where you could put your face or who ever on the pilot and passenger figure from a photo. It actually didn't look half bad. Not sure if it is doable with the current A2A aircraft but that would solve the problem of diversity. I remember spending lot's of time putting me and my wife in the open cockpit of some of Bill's airplanes. I spent a lot of time enjoying his freeware aircraft and scenery.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.ph ... d=66364139

Buffy Foster

Post by Buffy Foster »

You can paint the textures how you want already. Theres boy ones and girl ones so its ez to do for everybody.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”