Speaking of Bonanzas...

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Speaking of Bonanzas...

Post by Medtner »

I just happened across this video from SimCFI, a long time member here at A2A forums.

This is another Bonanza V35B with REP (Reality Expansion Pack), which is like an X-plane wannabe Accusim.

Look at the MP gauge when he throttles up for takeoff at 10:45:

https://youtu.be/i9LCNjGi0G0?t=646

Is it at all possible for the manifold pressure to overshoot barometric pressure on a naturally aspirated engine like that? It just blew my mind when I looked at it. Doesn't seem at all physically possible...
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Speaking of Bonanzas...

Post by Oracle427 »

Assuming that it is an extremely high pressure day at 31" at sea level and you are departing at sea level, I would expect a typical NA engine with typical induction system losses to be making around 29" at takeoff power. 28" is more typical on the average day. I can not see how it would exceed atmospheric pressure or even meet it.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Oracle427 wrote:Assuming that it is an extremely high pressure day at 31" at sea level and you are departing at sea level, I would expect a typical NA engine with typical induction system losses to be making around 29" at takeoff power. 28" is more typical on the average day. I can not see how it would exceed atmospheric pressure or even meet it.
Yeah, that's my thinking too. It couldn't surge above atmospheric pressure. It could arrive at (at best) or close it, but not above. That looks like the surge you could get from the propeller RPM. Anyway. Bodes unwell for the realism behind. I'm glad I have the Accusim Bonanza. :-)
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Marvin-E34
Senior Airman

Post by Marvin-E34 »

This is not your average Bonanza 8)
Modified ECU, Ebay turbo charger, big injectors ...

Now to be fair, the video is from 2016, many updates have been released for REP since then.
I only have the default Cessna 172 with REP, so i cannot tell for the Bonanza.

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Ill try to recreate this. Rep is better than nothing but still nowhere’s near accusim.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

afcraig2010
Staff Sergeant

Post by afcraig2010 »

I’m SIM CFI. I haven’t revisited the REP Bonanza and I probably have to re buy the xplane 11 version to get the full effect from Carenado... just not worth it with A2A pumping out planes.

Anyways, I’ve also noticed that there’s no loss of MP with altitude, at least not initially. I took off from a high altitude airport and still had 30 inches. Xplane and REP just isn’t A2A. Close but no cigar.
Craig
CFI, ATP (Q400)

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

afcraig2010 wrote:I’m SIM CFI. I haven’t revisited the REP Bonanza and I probably have to re buy the xplane 11 version to get the full effect from Carenado... just not worth it with A2A pumping out planes.

Anyways, I’ve also noticed that there’s no loss of MP with altitude, at least not initially. I took off from a high altitude airport and still had 30 inches. Xplane and REP just isn’t A2A. Close but no cigar.
That means I could be wrong. That may be a turbo normalized engine, and such a surge may be plausible.

A2A: we need a turbo and/or supercharged GA plane. We need the learning! ;)
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway

afcraig2010
Staff Sergeant

Post by afcraig2010 »

But I’m like 99.99% sure it’s not a turbo normalized. It’s just a regular IO-5something like all the rest.
Craig
CFI, ATP (Q400)

Les Parson
Staff Sergeant

Post by Les Parson »

afcraig2010 wrote:But I’m like 99.99% sure it’s not a turbo normalized. It’s just a regular IO-5something like all the rest.
You're correct, it's not a TC. However, the T210M with REP is and the MP does maintain the recommended 30" through the teens into the low 20s. The manual goes into detail about accurate wastegate operation, etc.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”