Question on the Pan view physics in FS2020

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Question on the Pan view physics in FS2020

Post by DHenriques_ »

I have my hat switch set up to pan horizontally and vertically which is fine. I notice that when stopping at the end of the pan the stop isn't instant. Is there a way in the settings to control the inertia when panning and if so where? I want the pan to stop instantly when the hat is released.
Thanks much,
Dudley

TymK
Staff Sergeant

Re: Question on the Pan view physics in FS2020

Post by TymK »

First, go to the Camera menu (available on the toolbar at the top of the screen while in the plane) and see the option called Freelook Momentum. If you set it to zero, the pan will stop instantly, but you may experiment to see if another value works better for you. Please note that this setting will be reset to the "global default" on every flight.

Once you've found your desired value, go to the main option menu (by pressing Esc while in flight, or from the main menu) and under Camera, there's the Freelook Momentum setting in the Cockpit Camera section. When you set the value from here, it will become the new default and will stay this way for all subsequent flights.

HTH,
Tym

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Gosh! Answers don't come ant better than that. An object lesson if ever I saw one. 👍
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

TymK wrote: 29 Jan 2021, 18:02 First, go to the Camera menu (available on the toolbar at the top of the screen while in the plane) and see the option called Freelook Momentum. If you set it to zero, the pan will stop instantly, but you may experiment to see if another value works better for you. Please note that this setting will be reset to the "global default" on every flight.

Once you've found your desired value, go to the main option menu (by pressing Esc while in flight, or from the main menu) and under Camera, there's the Freelook Momentum setting in the Cockpit Camera section. When you set the value from here, it will become the new default and will stay this way for all subsequent flights.

HTH,
Tym
Perfect ! Many thanks. I'm learning this new sim moment by moment. LOL
D

TymK
Staff Sergeant

Post by TymK »

Glad I could help! :D The new sim has quite a few nice touches like that, a lot of thought seems to have gone into UI/usability improvements.

I keep discovering little things that make me smile. For example, have you tried doing a "timelapse" with the time slider at night in or above a city? I've noticed that lights in windows gradually appear at dusk, TV glow appears in some of the windows, and then the lights start to go out as it gets late. Not exactly aviation-related, but a nice touch nonetheless :wink:

Regards,
Tym

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

TymK wrote: 30 Jan 2021, 05:49 Glad I could help! :D The new sim has quite a few nice touches like that, a lot of thought seems to have gone into UI/usability improvements.

I keep discovering little things that make me smile. For example, have you tried doing a "timelapse" with the time slider at night in or above a city? I've noticed that lights in windows gradually appear at dusk, TV glow appears in some of the windows, and then the lights start to go out as it gets late. Not exactly aviation-related, but a nice touch nonetheless :wink:

Regards,
Tym
Yes, I agree. I have used that slider. Very interesting how it works.
I had the sim installed once before but uninstalled it when I noticed I had to use the mouse on an approach to check position to the runway on my base legs. I felt that was too non-immersive for me. During the period I had it uninstalled I discovered that it WAS possible to program a hat switch to this function so I've reinstalled 2020 and now have it dialed in properly.
Also the flight models seem better now, at least passable until we get our Accusim in there.
I agree with those who believe it is with this sim that the future lies. The graphics and world are simply in a class by themselves and what I'm seeing inside the little Cessna 152 is real beyond belief. This sim can only get better as time goes on.
For the time being I'm content just enjoying the little 152 as I have hundreds of hours instructing in it. I still have a gripe with Asobo for neglecting to include proper checklists for their complex defaults. That would have been a great help to the average sim pilot and I hope will be included at some point. You can't just stick someone into a turboprop and turn them loose without in-sim assistance on where and what to do step by step. There are good tutorials out there like those made by "Squirrel" but the sim pilot can't take all that with them by memory into the cockpit and properly fly the plane. I've always been a fan of a checklist program outside the sim that allows the pilot to initiate the checklist as a small dot of light shines on the proper switch or item to check as the pilot goes through the checklist item by item. Then as the pilot becomes more familiar with the aircraft they can get rid of the dot of light.
As you say, it's the little things that make a sim a GOOD sim.
This sim has unbelievable potential. I know Asobo is working hard to make it right for everyone so I'll be staying with it. I'm sorry I couldn't have helped them with immersion. I was deeply involved in FSX with Microsoft and enjoyed the experience a great deal. Time for the new folks in town now. I'll be here with A2A as always.
Dudley Henriques

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”