Over-Shooting Base To Final

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
DatDudeMIC
Senior Airman

Over-Shooting Base To Final

Post by DatDudeMIC »

Ive been working on my landings in the pattern. My issue is sometimes I over-shoot when turning base to final and have to correct once established on final approach. I use the hat-switch instead of TrackIR. Any tips on how to correct this issue?
Keep The Blue Side Up,

Micah H.

rhenson529
Senior Airman

Re: Over-Shooting Base To Final

Post by rhenson529 »

For me, I begin my base turn when the runway is at my 8:00 and likewise on my turn to final when the runway is at my 10:00. Doing this has greatly improved my pattern work. Hope this helps.
Ron

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A2A Planes: Cub, 172, 182, Cherokee, Comanche, Bonanza,T6, 377, Spitfire, and P51
Hardware: i7 (5.0 ghz) 32 GB 3000Ghz; RTX 2080ti; 1TB PCIe M.2; 1TB PCIe M.2

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

It wasn't until I got TrackIR that I was able to consistently make proper turns to final. It instantly became a non-issue. I didn't expect this and it surprised me.

Edit: I flew for almost 6 years without TrackIR and never did quite get the hang of making that turn.

Hook

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

DatDudeMIC wrote:Ive been working on my landings in the pattern. My issue is sometimes I over-shoot when turning base to final and have to correct once established on final approach. I use the hat-switch instead of TrackIR. Any tips on how to correct this issue?
Turn earlier. :mrgreen: No, seriously it is rather difficult to judge one's turns over the deck when using hat switch for view. I've simply adapted by noticing if I constantly turn early or late or wide or too tight and then forcing myself to consciously doing a bit of the opposite even if it feels wrong initially.

-Esa

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”