C182 Power settings

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
IndiaWhisky
Airman Basic

C182 Power settings

Post by IndiaWhisky »

Hi everyone,

When reading through the A2A C182 Pilots manual and reading other manuals about the C182's power settings I always come across "##% Power settings", e.g. Maximum rage cruise at 55% Power setting.

I wonder what is meant by this statement. Which gauge do I read this setting from?

It is my guess the "Manifold Pressure" gauge may be the key here, but the question remains: What is the 100% Power setting at different altitudes? How does the ##% Power setting change when I lean the engine?

I'd appreciate any insights you may have on this topic.

Thanks a lot,
Ingo

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: C182 Power settings

Post by AKar »

IndiaWhisky wrote:It is my guess the "Manifold Pressure" gauge may be the key here, but the question remains: What is the 100% Power setting at different altitudes? How does the ##% Power setting change when I lean the engine?
100 % power relates to the rated power of the engine, in this case unachievable when above sea level in standard conditions.

%-of-power settings are really complex equations, and you'd generally need to refer into the charts (for what they are worth) to make much use of them. With naturally aspirated engines, doing any reasonable cruise altitude off the deck, you'll find more manageable schemes by flying the throttle always full-in, and when high and into the cruise leaning as much as possible if the engine behaves while figuring out the reasonable low RPM for conditions.

-Esa

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”