Anyone seen these yet? VirtualFly TPM

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
jclay13
Senior Airman

Anyone seen these yet? VirtualFly TPM

Post by jclay13 »

https://www.virtual-fly.com/en/shop/controls/tpm

Just came across these on the web. Look pretty cool. I like how compact they are and would look nice on a desktop setup. Each of the three controls is made by McFarlane which are actual controls used in real world aircraft. Precision Flight Controls has a similar TPM made from McFarlane which mounts into their throttle quadrant console which is quite a bit bulkier. I like the compact design of these. I have the GoFlight TPM but just might have to save up for these babies. Considering a Saitek TPM is going for around $500 on eBay a person would be better suited to spend a bit more and get a lot better quality.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Anyone seen these yet? VirtualFly TPM

Post by DHenriques_ »

jclay13 wrote:https://www.virtual-fly.com/en/shop/controls/tpm

Just came across these on the web. Look pretty cool. I like how compact they are and would look nice on a desktop setup. Each of the three controls is made by McFarlane which are actual controls used in real world aircraft. Precision Flight Controls has a similar TPM made from McFarlane which mounts into their throttle quadrant console which is quite a bit bulkier. I like the compact design of these. I have the GoFlight TPM but just might have to save up for these babies. Considering a Saitek TPM is going for around $500 on eBay a person would be better suited to spend a bit more and get a lot better quality.
I've been testing Virtual Fly products now for several months and am now using them exclusively. Presently I have their TQ6 set up to handle both single, multi engine, jets, and turboprops. The quality is superb and in my opinion unsurpassed. Their new throttle will be more of the same; top quality. Their controllers are admittedly high end and made to satisfy the needs of the SERIOUS flight sim enthusiast and the quality is reflected in the price but if serious simming is your thing you can buy no better hardware than Virtual-Fly.
Dudley Henriques

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Wow $1,000 for that TPM. Too high for my wallet. I hope it comes down in price I’d love to get one.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

MatzeH84
Staff Sergeant

Post by MatzeH84 »

Personally, I put my hopes into the upcoming Honeycomb Yoke & Quadrant. They aim for an affordable, yet with great precision and durability. I currently use the Saitek Yoke and Quadrant, but after 8 years they are showing their age. I also have Goflight TPM, and the difference in quality is overly obvious..

Gesendet von meinem F8331 mit Tapatalk
Kind regards, Matthias

djbully
Airman

Post by djbully »

MMM, yes that Honeycomb stuff looks nice indeed. Apparently Aerosoft will be distributing in Europe. Does anyone know when these will be released?

Cheers,
Bully.
EGHI

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:...if serious simming is your thing you can buy no better hardware than Virtual-Fly.
Dudley Henriques
Agree completely and this leads me to a question - do you consider it good practice, or a sacrilege, to use the Virtual Fly yoke in a stick aircraft? As a general rule, I try to use the controller that matches the aircraft - but I have to admit that I haven't been able to find a joystick, not even the Warthog with extensions fitted, that matches the fine control of the VF Yoko. Wondering if my joystick preference is a simmerism - maybe I'd be better off using the Yoko exclusively. What's your take?
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Alan_A wrote:
DHenriquesA2A wrote:...if serious simming is your thing you can buy no better hardware than Virtual-Fly.
Dudley Henriques
Agree completely and this leads me to a question - do you consider it good practice, or a sacrilege, to use the Virtual Fly yoke in a stick aircraft? As a general rule, I try to use the controller that matches the aircraft - but I have to admit that I haven't been able to find a joystick, not even the Warthog with extensions fitted, that matches the fine control of the VF Yoko. Wondering if my joystick preference is a simmerism - maybe I'd be better off using the Yoko exclusively. What's your take?
You have hit the nail right on the head as I also have the same problem. Naturally as a pilot and as a realism consultant on the simulator I want my set up to replicate as close to the real thing as possible.
The rub in all that is that the smoothness of the Yoko is so above standard that it is very hard to pass on using it as a controller.
The best advice I can give you is to take a deep breath, fire up your imagination and convince yourself the yoko is a stick, because everything considered you won't find anything out there to compare with it for smooth application.
To be truthful I have to admit that since I have tried VR products there just isn't anything that compares with them for me anyway. I know they are expensive, but I honestly believe they are worth every penny.
I hope this helps in some way.
Dudley Henriques

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: I hope this helps in some way.
Dudley Henriques
It does, a lot. Just tried a few patterns in the T-6 with the Yoko and liked the experience (though I was still overcontrolling - need to get used to the feel of it in a higher-performance aircraft). I can convince myself the range of motion is sort of like a spade grip - enough to get me over my "No, it's inauthentic!" panic. So I think the Yoko is going to be my best answer. A few more circuits will tell. Thanks for the push in that direction!

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

There is a choice that is better, but you’re not going to like it, as it is expensive.

Brunner has, in addittion to excellent force feedback yokes, joysticks that are force feedback. They are monstrously expensive, but the quality of the yoke makes me think that the stick would be worth it if one can part with the money. I mostly fly yoke-planes, so I can make do with my Thrustmaster Warthog (with extension). But if I ever were to fly more stick planes, I would have to concider getting the Brunner stick.

As for the VirtualFly TPM, I might get one in the future. It seems very enjoyable. When A2A finally gets a twin plane I will absolutely get the TQ6 from VirtualFly. I’ve heard all kinds of good things about it, in part from Dudley here.
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

The base-level Brunner - the one that takes a Warthog stick - is just on the border of really-shockingly-expensive-but-I-could-sort-of-think-about-it-if-I-delayed-going-to-VR, if you can follow my flightsim budget gyrations...

Not sure - none of the solutions is ideal - the yoke is promising but it doesn't feel totally right either. I'll keep on experimenting.

I've also got to get my TQ6 back into service. I seem to have wound up with a lemon - it had to be returned once for a dead circuit board and now I've got some serious spiking on the mixture levers. Not a typical Virtual Fly experience so I'm probably just unlucky. So, that first, then other controller issues...

At least it helps pass the pre-Bonanza time... 8)

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Yeah, speaking of using a Yoke flying a stick plane - I can't really imagine doing it. I'd rather have a cheap and decent stick than doing it with the yoke. Just feels wrong.
I'm with Dudley in trying to mimick the layout to a reasonable degree. If I fly stick planes I move the relevant throttle controllers over on the left side. The Saitek-TPM I have permanently on the right side, with the trim wheel just below it.

Having to invest in a Brunner stick is only for those that really "mean it". I conciously avoided the VR bandwagon, wanting to get on when the resolution improved. Thus I got my Brunner yoke instead (as if it was the same price :-P).

I've not heard much about VirtualFly-lemons, but I suppose all companies have one or two. Hope you get it resolved! I'm insta-buying a TQ6 when A2A announches their twin. Don't need it now, simply because there is no Accusim twin.
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

I've had quality-control problems with high-end hardware before, but that's not what's going on with the TQ6 - just one of those things, not a reflection on Virtual Fly (the Yoko is wonderful and seems bulletproof).

The yoke-as-stick thing really shouldn't be such an issue - the range of motion is really very similar. I suspect I'm just psyching myself and feeling more of a difference than is actually there.

I agree with Dudley about matching the layout (and like you, I shift my throttle to the left when the cockpit demands it) but I also agree with him about the Yoko - nothing else feels like that.

So... looks like there'll be more experiments with Texan pattern work in my immediate future...

EDIT: On a whim, I just set up the TQ6 on my work computer and it worked perfectly after calibration, no signs of spiking at all in the controller setup window. So... maybe a Windows problem on my flightsim rig, but not a Virtual Fly problem. Flightsim weirdness rides again. I don't want to belabor this - but I do want to set the record straight about Virtual Fly. The circuit board problem did happen. But the spiking... apparently not.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”