Ju-52 crash in Alps

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
R-2800-59
Staff Sergeant

Ju-52 crash in Alps

Post by R-2800-59 »

Unfortunately I had to read that the Ju-Air HB-HOT crashed in the Alps on Saturday. All 17 passengers as well as the three man crew on board unfortunately lost their lives.

I don't support any speculation about the reasons of this tragic loss of people and machinery, however it moves me and I thought you should know about the accident.
Since being a child I remember the sound of this exact machine above my house in the Rhine valley and later on in my hometown Mayence. I've seen it just a few weeks before, beautiful as always. To accept now that this wonderful piece of history (sold in October 1939 to the Swiss Air Force and usedby it until privately registered in 1985, she was one of only three Ju-52 to feature the original BMW 132 engines. She was furthermore featured in the Clint Eastwood movie "Where Eagles Dare") and much more so many souls are gone forever...

Let's hope that the remaining Ju-52 will not be grounded for a longer period.

As I would like to remember men and machine being alive instead of showing pictures of the crashsite, this is a video of her taking off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJsrM1v5VPU

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Ju-52 crash in Alps

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Very sad. Thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of the victims.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”