Here's a current accident we CAN speculate on :)

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Here's a current accident we CAN speculate on :)

Post by AviationAtWar »

I'm not superstitious, but I think my P-40 was cursed.

I bought this CMP P-40 five years ago on eBay and the problems started the day I got it. It was described as like new in box. The seller just slapped a shipping label on the outside of the plane's box and threw a couple pieces of tape on it. By the time I got it there were holes in the box with hardware leaking out.

I open the box to find all the balsa formers were broken out of the fuselage, some of them were inside a hardware bag so obviously not shipping damage.

So I set out to repair the damage and start my intended conversion from glow to gas. Formers went back in, a new radio tray was made, a firewall and nose reinforcements were made.

To save a little bit of money I bought an AGM 30 and built the plane around it. When it came time to start the engine I had no spark. Rather than make good on it, AGM gave me a $5 discount code for a replacement ignition.

Once I had spark I still couldn't get it to run unless I was putting the fuel in myself. The engine was off and apart several times before I was frustrated enough to order a DLE. I mounted the DLE, connected the fuel line and it was running perfectly within a couple flips of the prop.

At one point the plane took a mysterious dive off the work stand. I had to remove and rebuild one of the elevators.

When it was finally time for the maiden my air compressor fell apart when I was filling the retract tank. I took the compressor apart and fixed it, aired up the retracts - assuming I was locking them down and leaving them there for the first flight.

First takeoff was uneventful and the plane flew well until what sounded like an ignition miss started. I landed and one of the mains collapsed on rollout.

After running it on the ground without issues and topping off the air I taxiied back out, a bolt fell out of the scissors on a retract strut and ended the day. I drilled the struts to put screws all the way through and used lock nuts.

Paint, canopy and cowl were finished over the winter since I now knew it was a good flyer. New ignition battery and new switch. The first uneventful flight of this year ended with another main collapse. Pulling the retracts out and looking them over I found both of them were machined without down locks (thanks Century Jet!)

After machining my own down locks and replacing the broken prop I again headed out. After a successful P-47 flight I go to top off the P-40 air and the compressor case literally breaks in half, the cylinder separating from the motor. At this point I had a feeling I shouldn't fly the plane, but the retracts were already locked down and I don't know when to give up. After a nice takeoff and climbout, half way across the field on the downwind leg I watch a wheel with the axle still in it fall away from the plane. Lost an axle set screw - that one's on me.

I had enough air to pull the gear up so I bellied into the tall grass, again losing the prop.

Fixed the retracts again, ordered a prop from the local hobby shop. Go back to the hobby shop four days later to find he didn't order it; ordered from Tower on my own.

The prop came Saturday and just like clockwork, as soon as the plane is ready to fly again then the rain and wind start. This was a common theme all year. It was rare to line up good weather and a serviceable P-40 on the same day.

Last night I wasn't really in the mood to fly but the weather had finally calmed down so I talked myself into it and went out, I had the field to myself on a calm evening.

Six minutes into the flight the engine starts to intermittently lose power. At first I thought it was fuel related. Within a few seconds I threw the gear down and entered downwind. Throttle at idle and making the turn to final, the throttle servo starts opening itself. At this point I realize my power issues were likely because the throttle servo had been closing itself. I'm high and fast on final, finger on the switch to kill the engine in flight if I need to. Lined up with the runway and 30 feet off the ground I lose ailerons, and then it makes a 180 turn and starts flying away from the field under power (stick still at idle). I regained throttle and ailerons but with a pedestrian walkway one direction, a $40,000 Camaro with people in it near the plane (it's near the entrance drive now) and an active construction zone in another direction, I decided to let it go down straight ahead rather than try to regain control enough to climb and line up with the runway again. I didn't see the ending due to tallish grass, but it ended up on the mains and it looks like the nose broke free during the impact because of the weight.

After all the money and time spent on it I'm not really upset. It became more and more clear over the last five years that this plane didn't intend to let me fly it. It gave me four flights total, and man did it look and feel good in the air.

After picking up the wreckage all the controls worked without issue and battery voltage was good. Transmitter voltage was good also. I don't know if it was a receiver issue, an intermittent battery problem, ignition interference or what.

These pics were taken ten minutes apart.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Here's a current accident we CAN speculate on :)

Post by Paughco »

Bummer, man! You need an A2A P-40!

Seeya
ATB

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

I have the A2A P-40, and it doesn't cost me $1,400 a pop to crash it!

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

AviationAtWar wrote:I'm not superstitious, but I think my P-40 was cursed.

I bought this CMP P-40 five years ago on eBay and the problems started the day I got it. It was described as like new in box. The seller just slapped a shipping label on the outside of the plane's box and threw a couple pieces of tape on it. By the time I got it there were holes in the box with hardware leaking out.

I open the box to find all the balsa formers were broken out of the fuselage, some of them were inside a hardware bag so obviously not shipping damage.

So I set out to repair the damage and start my intended conversion from glow to gas. Formers went back in, a new radio tray was made, a firewall and nose reinforcements were made.

To save a little bit of money I bought an AGM 30 and built the plane around it. When it came time to start the engine I had no spark. Rather than make good on it, AGM gave me a $5 discount code for a replacement ignition.

Once I had spark I still couldn't get it to run unless I was putting the fuel in myself. The engine was off and apart several times before I was frustrated enough to order a DLE. I mounted the DLE, connected the fuel line and it was running perfectly within a couple flips of the prop.

At one point the plane took a mysterious dive off the work stand. I had to remove and rebuild one of the elevators.

When it was finally time for the maiden my air compressor fell apart when I was filling the retract tank. I took the compressor apart and fixed it, aired up the retracts - assuming I was locking them down and leaving them there for the first flight.

First takeoff was uneventful and the plane flew well until what sounded like an ignition miss started. I landed and one of the mains collapsed on rollout.

After running it on the ground without issues and topping off the air I taxiied back out, a bolt fell out of the scissors on a retract strut and ended the day. I drilled the struts to put screws all the way through and used lock nuts.

Paint, canopy and cowl were finished over the winter since I now knew it was a good flyer. New ignition battery and new switch. The first uneventful flight of this year ended with another main collapse. Pulling the retracts out and looking them over I found both of them were machined without down locks (thanks Century Jet!)

After machining my own down locks and replacing the broken prop I again headed out. After a successful P-47 flight I go to top off the P-40 air and the compressor case literally breaks in half, the cylinder separating from the motor. At this point I had a feeling I shouldn't fly the plane, but the retracts were already locked down and I don't know when to give up. After a nice takeoff and climbout, half way across the field on the downwind leg I watch a wheel with the axle still in it fall away from the plane. Lost an axle set screw - that one's on me.

I had enough air to pull the gear up so I bellied into the tall grass, again losing the prop.

Fixed the retracts again, ordered a prop from the local hobby shop. Go back to the hobby shop four days later to find he didn't order it; ordered from Tower on my own.

The prop came Saturday and just like clockwork, as soon as the plane is ready to fly again then the rain and wind start. This was a common theme all year. It was rare to line up good weather and a serviceable P-40 on the same day.

Last night I wasn't really in the mood to fly but the weather had finally calmed down so I talked myself into it and went out, I had the field to myself on a calm evening.

Six minutes into the flight the engine starts to intermittently lose power. At first I thought it was fuel related. Within a few seconds I threw the gear down and entered downwind. Throttle at idle and making the turn to final, the throttle servo starts opening itself. At this point I realize my power issues were likely because the throttle servo had been closing itself. I'm high and fast on final, finger on the switch to kill the engine in flight if I need to. Lined up with the runway and 30 feet off the ground I lose ailerons, and then it makes a 180 turn and starts flying away from the field under power (stick still at idle). I regained throttle and ailerons but with a pedestrian walkway one direction, a $40,000 Camaro with people in it near the plane (it's near the entrance drive now) and an active construction zone in another direction, I decided to let it go down straight ahead rather than try to regain control enough to climb and line up with the runway again. I didn't see the ending due to tallish grass, but it ended up on the mains and it looks like the nose broke free during the impact because of the weight.

After all the money and time spent on it I'm not really upset. It became more and more clear over the last five years that this plane didn't intend to let me fly it. It gave me four flights total, and man did it look and feel good in the air.

After picking up the wreckage all the controls worked without issue and battery voltage was good. Transmitter voltage was good also. I don't know if it was a receiver issue, an intermittent battery problem, ignition interference or what.

These pics were taken ten minutes apart.

Sounds like the P40 from hell ! Sorry you are having so much trouble.
Dudley Henriques

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Post by aonyn »

uggg, that hurts to look at. Sorry that happened to your plane.
Ron Attwood wrote:David, you'd be useless on Twitter. Too reasonable by half. :D

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

A little duct tape and it’s good as new! :mrgreen:

Some R/C aircraft cannot wait to leap into the sky. (Usually the inexpensive ones). Others, well, there simply earth bound!

I’ve lost a few, still have the least expensive one to rely on though. Ain’t as pretty, but still flys.
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club
United States Marine Corps

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Oh man that sucks, the two images are tragic :? :?

I agree with aonyn, reading the text of woe was bad enough but that images hurt to look at. Thankyou for sharing your story though, Ive never flew RC but always wanted too. Like real aviation its always been a bit too expensive for me to jump into with both feet unfortunately.

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

TBryson2 wrote:A little duct tape and it’s good as new! :mrgreen:

Some R/C aircraft cannot wait to leap into the sky. (Usually the inexpensive ones). Others, well, there simply earth bound!

I’ve lost a few, still have the least expensive one to rely on though. Ain’t as pretty, but still flys.
A friend of mine wanted to tape it together and have me let him fly it. He's never flown before...

Lewis,

You can spend as little or as much as you want on r/c, and you can fly something as simple or as complex as you'd like. Without itemizing, I can say for sure I had between $1,400 and $1,500 in this plane, which isn't that much when you start getting into big warbirds. Jets are most costly and it isn't uncommon for them to be in the $30,000 area. For a beginner though you can be flying a good performing electric foam plane for $150 or less. Let me know if I can help.

I've decided my consolation for losing the P-40 will be the giant scale P-47 I've been wanting for several years. Some discount codes are stacking up at the right time, I sold another plane so I have some liquid r/c cash, and I have the support of the wife and kids!

crippy
Staff Sergeant

Post by crippy »

Hey, I am actually very interested in learning RC things. Maybe not airplanes at first (maybe trucks??)

I am super interested in the gas motors. I've watched lots of cool videos on YouTube of 'starting small motors' and its awesome! I thinker around and fix up cars I'd love to have a side hobby of working on mini motors.

Have you heard of anything like this? Building a motor and then putting it in an airplane, truck, etc?? How much would this cost? Do you know of any good motor brands or kits to get started??

Thanks,

Chris
Image Image Image
3D Lights Redux | Accu-Feel v2 | J-3 Cub | P-51C | T-6 Texan | B17 | L049 | Cherokee 180 | Comanche 250 | 172R Skyhawk | 182T Skylane

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

On the subject of RC aircraft, this collection on display at Duxford boggled my mind!

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

As far as your control problems go wouldn't be the first time someone deliberately caused a RC flier problems with a transmitter. When I was messing with the hobby years ago we had some problems over a period of time and caught a guy sitting in his car with a transmitter screwing with us.

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

crippy wrote:Hey, I am actually very interested in learning RC things. Maybe not airplanes at first (maybe trucks??)

I am super interested in the gas motors. I've watched lots of cool videos on YouTube of 'starting small motors' and its awesome! I thinker around and fix up cars I'd love to have a side hobby of working on mini motors.

Have you heard of anything like this? Building a motor and then putting it in an airplane, truck, etc?? How much would this cost? Do you know of any good motor brands or kits to get started??

Thanks,

Chris
There are kits out there for mini V8's and such but they're extremely expensive, like $5-20,000 depending on what you're buying. A lot of what you see on Youtube were scratch built by machinists that did everything themselves. You can also buy plans and there are some rough castings available for some parts also.

As far as your control problems go wouldn't be the first time someone deliberately caused a RC flier problems with a transmitter. When I was messing with the hobby years ago we had some problems over a period of time and caught a guy sitting in his car with a transmitter screwing with us.
I'm using a modern 2.4 ghz radio for most of my planes now which should be immune to interference from other radios, but I wouldn't rule it out and was something that I considered also. I really think it was interference from the CDI ignition system though, especially considering some others' experiences that I'm reading which were similar to mine.

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Post by aonyn »

dvm wrote:As far as your control problems go wouldn't be the first time someone deliberately caused a RC flier problems with a transmitter. When I was messing with the hobby years ago we had some problems over a period of time and caught a guy sitting in his car with a transmitter screwing with us.
That's terrible, potentially dangerous, and simply begs the question, "Why?"

@Ron, that is a rather impressive collection there. Were they static display only, or part of the flying demonstrations?
The ground vehicles in the background also seem to catch the eye.

Regards,
Dave
Ron Attwood wrote:David, you'd be useless on Twitter. Too reasonable by half. :D

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

aonyn wrote:
@Ron, that is a rather impressive collection there. Were they static display only, or part of the flying demonstrations?

Regards,
Dave
Too many of the real things whizzing about for the little 'uns to fly. :)
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Post by aonyn »

Ron Attwood wrote:
aonyn wrote:

Regards,
Dave
Too many of the real things whizzing about for the little 'uns to fly. :)
Well I guess that could not be classified as a disappointment anyway. Still would love to see those models fly too.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”