[P3Dv4.2] A2A addons outside the default P3D addons folder

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
gege21
Senior Airman

[P3Dv4.2] A2A addons outside the default P3D addons folder

Post by gege21 »

Hi all,

I wished to know if it was a good reason to install the A2A addons outside the default P3D addons folder. I have enough drive space for my Document folder so for me it is not a problem.

Some time ago I was constraint to reinitialize my P3D installation by removing some folders from P3D installation selecting the "Delete generated Files" shortcut utility from inside the P3D directory. If I will do the same the next time, will this affect the default P3D addons folder and to be accurate does it delete also the A2A addons folder registered in the default P3D addons folder ?

If it is the case removing A2A addons with the "Delete generated Files" P3D utility, does it affect or break some A2A addons installation related to the OS windows registry ?

To be simple what do you advice for A2A addons installation : outside the default P3D addons folder or let the default P3D addon folder as it during the install process ?
What is the best choice I must to do to prevent me a reinstallation of A2A addons if I must use the "Delete Generated Files" P3D utility ?

Thank you in advance for your advice and help.

Cheers

Gerard
P3Dv4.5/P3Dv5.3: C172R Trainer/C182/Piper Cherokee 180/Comanche 250/L049 Connie/Bonanza/J3 Cub
FSX SE : C172R Trainer/C182/Piper J3 Cub/L049 Connie

Buffy Foster

Re: [P3Dv4.2] A2A addons outside the default P3D addons fold

Post by Buffy Foster »

The P3D Addons folder is where LM wants ppl to put their addons so they're outside the P3D folder tree and won't get messed with when you change settings in P3D or even update it.

It doesn't have to be in your Documents folder, you can have it anyplace (but still outside teh P3D tree. Like I have mine this way:

Code: Select all

D:\P3D Content
         P3D v4 Addons
                 A2A
                 Aerosoft
                 RealAir
         Prepar3D v4
Works real nice. :)

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Gerard,

If you have plenty of space in your "Documents" folder for P3D add-ons, then "Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\A2A" is probably the simplest option.

Having said that, we give customers the ability to modify the location of their "A2A" directory. This may be handy if, for example, they wish to keep all flight sim related stuff on a separate physical drive.

The new "Delete generated Files" utility in P3Dv4 will delete (amongst other things) the "add-ons.cfg" files. Any A2A products you'd installed to "Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons" won't be touched and will be automatically rediscovered next time you launch P3D. If you installed A2A aircraft to a custom directory (e.g. "E:\A2A") they still won't be deleted if you run this utility. However, because they won't be auto discovered in this location, you'd need to manually reinstall at least one of them to rewrite the required entry to the "add-ons.cfg" file. (Or add this entry to the file manually.)

So, in short, if you wish to avoid having to reinstall after using the "Delete Generated Files" utility, please just stick with the default "Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons" folder.

Thanks,
Nick

P.S. Apologies - I missed your reply in the other thread where you first asked this question. Hope you're getting on well with the updated P3Dv4 products by the way? All the issues with the Cessna avionics (stored channels etc.) that we've previously discussed should now be working properly. :)

gege21
Senior Airman

Post by gege21 »

Hello and thanks to both @Nick A2A and @ Buffy Foster

Yes I stick for now with the default P3D addons folder and had no problem doing installations with the A2A new installer. I tested with the C172 trainer and very happy that the storage frequencies on the channels work very well very happy with that feature. I don't yet make a flight with the two others new purchased airplanes the Cherokee 180 neither the Comanche 250 but I need to read before all the manuals to get ready when I will be on the pilot seat.

Thanks @Nick A2A for the info about when deleting the generated files using the P3D utility don't break the A2A airplanes installation and overall this deletion files/folders don't prevent P3D to recognize automatically the A2A addons original installation folder when it is in the P3D default addons folder . That is a very nice feature.

Very nice job from A2A staff about all the intricated installation possibilities without for us customers to loose or break some thing when performing updates for P3D or just doing some revert back to the default installation things just for P3D stuff like addons sceneries and something like.

All your hard work very appreciated.

So for me its time to go to virtually fly.

I wish you a great Sunday.

Cheers

Gerard

PS: I just got the ATC bug like many others players but it is on the P3D side so nothing to do with A2A (just for info).
Last edited by gege21 on 02 Jun 2018, 16:33, edited 1 time in total.
P3Dv4.5/P3Dv5.3: C172R Trainer/C182/Piper Cherokee 180/Comanche 250/L049 Connie/Bonanza/J3 Cub

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Cheers Gerard - I hope you have a great Sunday too. :)

Nick

gege21
Senior Airman

Post by gege21 »

Nick - A2A wrote:Cheers Gerard - I hope you have a great Sunday too. :)

Nick
Thank you very much just added to my precedent post a PS but nothing to do with A2A side only a P3D bug.

Cheers
Gerard

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”