Hat Switch

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
caleb1
Senior Airman

Hat Switch

Post by caleb1 »

When an A2A plane is used as the default flight in P3D v4, the hat switch on a yoke only works in the upwards direction.

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/155 ... h-problem/

Are you (A2A) aware of this? Is it something you can fix or is it a problem with P3D that you can not address?

Thanks.
Caleb Byers

A2A Hanger: C182, C172, PA-28, PA-24, J3

PC: Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.4 GHz to 4.0 GHz, 24GB RAM, GTX 745 with 4GB VRAM, 2TB SSHD, Win 10 Home x64.

Simulators: P3D v3.4, P3D v4.5, FSX:SE

Real Hanger at FD08: 1956 C172, 1964 PA-24 400

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Hat Switch

Post by Alan_A »

I think if you use an A2A plane or any other complex add-on as a default-flight aircraft in P3D, you're asking for trouble. The amount of customization involved is likely to screw up other aircraft when you try to load them, and it will cause other setup problems such as the one you're describing. You're much better off using one of the default aircraft. You won't need to load it before you load an A2A (though this is necessary with some other add-ons) - as long as your default flight is set up with a default aircraft, you can load an A2A directly and you'll be fine.

The impact of default flights on the setup has gotten more severe over time. I always used to set up a cold-and-dark default flight, so that all my aircraft would load cold and dark. But recently, that's started to cause problems with other add-ons, including the PMDG DC-6 and the Flight Replicas DC-4, because the cold-and-dark default state prevents the fuel system from initializing properly. So I've reluctantly switched over to a simple aircraft (the default Cub) with engines running.

The safest thing to do is to use the original default flight (F-22 at Eglin AFB), but substituting any other default aircraft and location seems to work OK... for now...

Hope this is helpful.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Caleb,

As Alan says, saving a complex A2A add-on (or other complex third-party aircraft) so it loads during the default scenario is liable to cause issues. I think this is partly because it will place an additional burden on the SimConnect interface when the flight is first loaded. This is particularly the case if there's add-on scenery being loaded which is also dependent on SimConnect functions.

So—as Alan recommends—try substituting a P3D default aircraft in your default scenario and see if this resolves the issue.

Thanks,
Nick

caleb1
Senior Airman

Post by caleb1 »

Ok I see.

Thanks for the replies.
Caleb Byers

A2A Hanger: C182, C172, PA-28, PA-24, J3

PC: Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.4 GHz to 4.0 GHz, 24GB RAM, GTX 745 with 4GB VRAM, 2TB SSHD, Win 10 Home x64.

Simulators: P3D v3.4, P3D v4.5, FSX:SE

Real Hanger at FD08: 1956 C172, 1964 PA-24 400

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

@Nick - hadn't managed to figure out the cause-and-effect. Simconnect overload (or conflict) makes sense. Thanks! Helps reinforce my bias for keeping things as simple as possible.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Johnwag
Airman

Post by Johnwag »

Sorry, this is a bit of a silly question but I want to make sure I understand correctly how to do the recommended practise. When I start/load P3D, the Prepare3D Scenario screne comes up and it has the F22 at Eglin. From that screen I then either;
- Load a saved scenario which is the normally the last previous flight I did normally with an A2A aircraft; or
- I chnage the aircraft to an A2A and change airport etc and then ‘OK’ to load that flight.

Is that method OK or should I be loading the F22 at Eglin and once sitting in the cockpit, then change the aircraft to A2A and change the airport etc?

I’ve been doing by the first, saved scenario method for a long time in FSX and P3D without any known issues. Recently though I’m getting uncommanded pitch down and mixture being retarded for no obvious reason and wondering if my loading method is at fault.

Thanks
John

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

Johnwag wrote:Sorry, this is a bit of a silly question but I want to make sure I understand correctly how to do the recommended practise. When I start/load P3D, the Prepare3D Scenario screne comes up and it has the F22 at Eglin. From that screen I then either;
- Load a saved scenario which is the normally the last previous flight I did normally with an A2A aircraft; or
- I chnage the aircraft to an A2A and change airport etc and then ‘OK’ to load that flight.

Is that method OK or should I be loading the F22 at Eglin and once sitting in the cockpit, then change the aircraft to A2A and change the airport etc?

I’ve been doing by the first, saved scenario method for a long time in FSX and P3D without any known issues. Recently though I’m getting uncommanded pitch down and mixture being retarded for no obvious reason and wondering if my loading method is at fault.

Thanks
John
Hi John,

Either method you described is fine. The main thing to avoid is setting a saved flight as default (one of the check boxes in the save flight screen) in complex aircraft like A2A, PMDG, etc.

Johnwag
Airman

Post by Johnwag »

Beauty, thanks for that.
John

Spoffo
Airman Basic

Post by Spoffo »

Could I gently suggest that this caution be included in the installation instructions for all A2A planes.

I came to this thread late last night after several insanely frustrating hours troubleshooting this very problem. I'm certainly not a newcomer to simming, but I am new to P3D and new to having enough computer power to run a complex plane with extensive weather and scenery add-ons, After a couple of weeks of getting comfortable with P3Dv4 using the default aircraft, I bought the Comanche yesterday as my first add-on aircraft. I loved it immediately - the first time a sim plane has actually sounded and felt like the singles I flew in my RW days.

So I did the obvious, I set my default as a dark start in the Comanche at my old home field . . . and plunged into hat switch hell. (A switch that only pans up is just the start. As you try to work the problem with re-doing control settings, re-booting the sim and the computer, etc. you can get some utterly bizarre symptoms.)

Ironically, I actually read the Comanche documentation all the way through before I installed the plane. One little line warning me not to set it as my default would have been a great way to kick off a long term relationship. (When the Bonanza comes out, and I buy it, I'll look to see if such a warning is there.)

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”