knee replacement

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
rod55
Staff Sergeant

knee replacement

Post by rod55 »

Hi Scott, n Team and fellow A2A Pilots

Q. What do you do in the last couple of hours before knee replacement 'op'?

A. Fly the T6, of course! (Gloucester to Wellesbourne Mountford)

Thank you Scott for the coaching and providing this great, unmatchable opportunity!

"So you can fly before you walk!"

Back soon

Rod
EGBB (sunny side down)
Last edited by rod55 on 11 May 2018, 12:53, edited 1 time in total.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: knee replacement

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Sound like a great flight, hope the replacement goes well and you recover as quick and as best as possible.

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Buffy Foster

Post by Buffy Foster »

Owww, dang. I hope it goes OK and you can work the rudder pedals soon!

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

Rudder pedals are the perfect rehab, very similar motion to the NuStep machine. Good luck!

wblackret
Staff Sergeant

Post by wblackret »

Hi, hope all goes well for you with the knee replacement. In 2012 I had my left knee done and 2017 the right knee. Big difference! Good luck, you'll be flying before you know it!
Bill Black

C172,C182,250 Comanche,J3 Cub,P-40,Bonanza
MSFS, P3Dv4.5
JETLINE GT2
W10,Z390 PRO MB,9TH GEN I7 9700K 4.9 GHZ (OC),KRAKEN M22 120 MHZ CPU LC,32 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 3200 GHZ RAM, EVGA 8 GB RTX 2070 SUPER,850 WATT CORSAIR PS,2TB CORSAIR SSD.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Rod: Hoping all goes well with the knee replacement. Please keep us in the loop as to how the recovery is going; how much work it takes you to get back to as good as and then better than you were before the replacement. Keep 'em flyin'!

Seeya
ATB

clarkejw
Senior Airman

Post by clarkejw »

All the best of luck! I've had both knees done, and don't know myself. I have one tip. Do the physio! I found one of the best rehab methods was the hydroptherapy pool. If there is one near to you, I strongly suggest you investigate.

John

rod55
Staff Sergeant

Post by rod55 »

Hi Pilots

escaped operating theatre and straight back to flying.

So you can fly a plane before you can walk!

I don't think they replaced my joint. I think they put me out and then shot me through the knee ….. a couple of times. Had to be done though ……. not that uncommon. Great excuse for a bit of swearing afterwards.

I was led to theatre hand-in-hand by a nurse looking like Shelley Winters who sang to me "Lets Face The Music and Dance"; cool or what?!

Half a day later, I was reading magazine Pilot (May 2018) with a super detailed article "Piper's Terrific Twin Com".

Many thanks to you all for posting your best wishes and tips …..all noted, I inherit your advice from that trodden path.

Thank God for simming and for this brilliant A2A (P3D Pro)

Methinks a fair bit of immersion's gonna happen within my 4 walls!! I see Scott's update that \0/ has now gone to beta.

Cheers all.

Rod
EGBB
Last edited by rod55 on 12 May 2018, 02:00, edited 1 time in total.

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

Best luck to you and hope you get better soon.
I have a injury to my right leg two weeks ago moving a heavy couch.
It fell over and the couches bottom leg hit my leg causing an injury I didn't go to a doctor however.
I am still hurting though I can walk and bend my knee now.
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Glad it's gone well, and best of luck in your recovery. Keep doing the exercises!! :lol:

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Buffy Foster

Post by Buffy Foster »

Yay for healing and flying! \o/

rod55
Staff Sergeant

Post by rod55 »

Dear Lewis, Paughco, Dogsbody55, Buffy AND fellow pilots

xxxx"I'm on the road again" xxxx , I mean 'I'm in the air again'.

Day 12 after total knee replacement and it looks like pork joint with neat 9inch cut and 33 metal staples. (Somehow, apple sauce and sage 'n onion stuffing don't come to mind). I'm sure this IS worth doing; for anyone out there who's wondering. Then I can get back on my bike in a few weeks.

Just read chapter 4 of Mark Vanhoenacker's excellent 'SKYFARING' (my second read of this totally believable portrayal), so for the first time I now think I have mental staying power to GET up to speed and STAY THERE for the flight in Cherokee: Sywell to East Midlands (UK's Northampton to Nottingham) with an Orbx Weather theme (chance of storms).

My guess was right cos I've just landed; nice and neat, calm and very happy to be alive.

High stakes activity: Flying Airplane, (Major Surgery). 12 days ago I did secretly look my Maker in the face, and everyone else (non-anaesthetised) managed the risk by diligence and keeping to procedure.

Now I'm recovering well (just in time for Saturday's Fulham v Aston Villa game) and this just goes to show you need all yer wits to fly planes (try flying T6 with a couple of beers!).

So, back to flying and I've had a brilliant time this afternoon with A2A, P3D and ORBX! I've upped my game to much more realism, thanks to Dudley's patience, no-messing eloquence and unmatchable wisdom. From my previous 'Post "How Do You Like Your Yolk?", I've responded to his instruction to keep my head and eyes up; only top row or so of panel showing on my monitor.

Rod EGBB (sunny side up, here)

PS Now, I guess I can get into the zone and improve my guitar rendition (and accompanying wailing) of Tom Waits 'On The Nickel'

rod55
Staff Sergeant

Post by rod55 »

Good morning Sim-Pilots,

one year later, it's day 17 after total knee replacement on my left knee as well; so I'm balanced now in flight with titanium (have I been rebuilt from a Concorde?) on left AND right. Haven't felt like flying for a couple of weeks!

Most of the time you get to bed at night and away you drift BUT last night at 1am I thought "no chance"; too focussed on my sore leg. So, plugged in the headphones to preserve quietness in the house, for sleeping Sandra the boss and lead nurse. Fired up P3D, selected A2A Cherokee and planned Swansea EGFH to Gloucester EGBJ at 'PC system time' (atmospheric and solitary so it was) and excellent Orbx Wales. Cherokee was lively, like a bumble bee in the wind, she wasn't going to fly there herself; in fact unstable "pull up!, pull up!" (Flight One Garmin) when I tried autopilot, so I stayed on manual throughout. Really enjoyed the approach and landing; around 2.30am ish . (Maybe go back to plane today and maintenance hangar to check things). Can't remember being aware of my knee during the whole immersive flight; no need for morphine (which I handed back last week; spooky stuff, not cool!).

Back to bed and I soon found myself blown off course and "involuntarily" locked onto thinking about Julie, Sandra's hairdresser, in her tight black leather jeans..... and then away, back to sleep, at last.

Now I can't wait to fly all the other sensational A2A Classics in my hangar; 182, Spitfire, Comanche, T6, and the BRILLIANT Bonanza. Fitting opportunity to thank you Scott, Lewis and whole team!

Rod
EGBB (sunny June 20th)

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Congrats on both surgery and recovery!

Keeping a positive attitude makes things go quicker. Having a hobby with enough immersion to make you forget the pain is a major plus.

Glad it's worked out for you.

Hook

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Good to hear, thanks for the update. Happy simming in the virtual skies :D 8) :a2a:

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”