Another GA, aircraft?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Another GA, aircraft?

Post by Dogsbody55 »

I'm looking forward to the release of the Bonanza. Each A2A plane has it's own definite character and will teach us all something about what it is to actually fly. Each release has brought something new to flight simulation, so it will be interesting to see what this one brings.

When A2A first released the C172, my first thought was; WHY????? Then I read what others thought so I took a punt and bought it. I was never a big fan of GA on flight sim, but this converted me. However, nowadays I hardly ever fly the 172 except for those times I'm trying a difficult airport. It's brilliant for that. I love the Pipers, and those are what I fly mostly. Never thought I'd feel that way, but they're very absorbing. Now, the one I really want is a GA twin. I have one by Carenado, but it's very unsatisfying to fly as it is very close to stock FSX, which means not at all realistic and very basic. That's OK if all you want is to play a game and you can completely master then in a couple of hours. After that, it a case of ho hum..... If it wasn't for A2A, I'd have given up on flight sim after FS9.

I'm OK with the long release times with A2A planes for 2 reasons. Firstly, if you want quality and fidelity, then this takes time. A2A planes turn a game that's a little bit simulator into something more of a proper simulator and less of a game. To appreciate this, I highly recommend taking an introductory flight lesson. Even if you only do a couple of hours behind the controls, you'll understand what I mean. Secondly, the long time between releases gives us plenty of time to become really familiar with the newest plane in a way that flitting between many planes doesn't allow. What's the point of all this realism if you don't explore it? I've put almost 1000 hours into the Comanche and I still get a kick out of flying it right.

I do hope that A2A will release another warbird in the not too distant future, as I still love them as well. For me, sticking with one type of plane makes flight sim rather one dimensional. Flying the Spitfire is a delight which is difficult to explain. A twin engine warbird would be great, but only if A2A has properly got to grips with the handling characteristics of twin engine flight. So I hope that the next warbird is something other than a variation of the existing A2A fleet, unless it's a big step forward or backward along the evolution of that plane which makes it feel very different. A Griffon engine Spitfire or Allison engine Mustang is what I have in mind there.

I'm not going to get into arguments about corporate sponsorship, or the little guy being ignored. This is flight simulation and we do it because we love it. And that's how it should before the guys who develop these things for us to enjoy. They will develop a plane because they want to, not because it's a job. If it's not about that passion, none of us would bother, be they a developer or user like me.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

MaxZ
Senior Airman

Post by MaxZ »

Dogsbody55 wrote:I'm looking forward to the release of the Bonanza. Each A2A plane has it's own definite character and will teach us all something about what it is to actually fly. Each release has brought something new to flight simulation, so it will be interesting to see what this one brings.

When A2A first released the C172, my first thought was; WHY????? Then I read what others thought so I took a punt and bought it. I was never a big fan of GA on flight sim, but this converted me.
I was so disappointed when they announced the C172. But then I put around 250 hrs on it and loved it. And when after the Cherokee the Skylane came I was amazed. C182 now has 1100hrs on the counter.

I am very much looking forward to the V35 and can only hope that the secret aircraft is something 'turbine'. Be it jet or turboprop.
Public service announcement: You put an aircraft in a hangar, not a hanger.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

From my point of view it is great to have a new GA some time hopefully soon. I don't do warbirds on FSX/P3D platform. Instead, I find it great fun to make simulated GA trips to challenging or scenic destinations. This aspect of living simulation requiring you to look after and care for the airplane only adds to the game.

-Esa

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

We've got GA, warbirds and propliners, I would say that is a nice variety. Besides 'GA' is a very broad term. That's like saying I work in the medical field...that could mean a lot of things. Technically the warbirds are also GA aircraft as well if they are flown in the modern flightsim setting.

Enjoy these wonderful creations. The fact that we will have a V-35 that will highlight all the little quirks of a V-tail is excellent. To not do something because company 'C' has already done it is a terrible reason not to do it. Company C has also already done a C-185, should that stop A2A from doing one? I would hope not. An accusimed 185 with a complete bush flying kit would be awesome! But that is for another day eh? :D
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

MaxZ
Senior Airman

Post by MaxZ »

AKar wrote:From my point of view it is great to have a new GA some time hopefully soon. I don't do warbirds on FSX/P3D platform. Instead, I find it great fun to make simulated GA trips to challenging or scenic destinations. This aspect of living simulation requiring you to look after and care for the airplane only adds to the game.

-Esa
Oh I love the warbirds, but I only fly them for an hour max. . Just for giggles when coming home to fool around, just in case I didn't fly enough that day. With the !82 and Comanche on the other hand you can really do serious instrument training. Most of my 182 time is just taking off, then repositioning the plane via Plan-G and then flying an approach own lineup, thereafter goaround and the same thing over and over again. Good to stay current on those NDB approaches, even though hardly anyone uses them anymore.
Public service announcement: You put an aircraft in a hangar, not a hanger.

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

High-end study sim GA is what A2A does, so no surprises for me with this announcement. I'd have liked a twin, but if it's to be a single then the V-tail Bonanza is a good choice. Interesting to look at and very different to fly - it will add something new, rather than be 'just another' GA aircraft. In the meantime, I have my Carenado V-tail to enjoy. :)

Alfredson007
Technical Sergeant

Post by Alfredson007 »

I am still hoping for Cessna 152, especially an aerobatic one. =)

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
I was extremely disapointed with the video , i was hoping to here about a twin GA or twin Military aircraft , i can only hope that the secret aircraft is the twin , it would have been nice if we learned that the mystrey aircraft was a twin GA or Mil , we still would not know what it was in detail , as for the Bonanza v35 , if it was any one else other than A2A doing it i would not even give it space in my hangar , but an A2A v35 , yes i would buy it , as i know it will be a quality product , but for me i was hoping for a Mitchel , based on the doolittle early version, as MAAM SIM Mitchel will not work in P3Dv4 and they have no one to update the product either , and the sim world is short of a good Mitchel.
heres hopeing the secrete aircraft will be revealled soon , i know A2A are very busy in the background , i just wish the vid had revealled a bit more than it did.
regards alan. 8)

DeeJay
Airman

Post by DeeJay »

mike10 wrote: Who makes study level GA planes besides A2A??

Some of us became A2A fans Because of the GA planes. I have zero interest in WW2 planes and 50s airliners but I kept my opinion to myself and waited for the next GA release. Maybe the other plane they are working on is more to your liking and I will be then waiting for the next one.
Same for me: I gave the warbirds a try with the T6, but I hardly fly it as it never grew on me. I won't buy any new warbirds, not because they wouldn't be made well - but just because I'm not interested in the real thing at all. Same for the 1950s airliners - I'm just too young for them ;-)

It's all a matter of personal taste I believe. I'm absolutely happy with the V35 in development. I always found this is a very attractive aircraft (while Carenado's never really impressed me because it flew like all the other ones). I'm still hoping for some more of this kind, maybe a C185, 195, a twin or even better, a C208 Turboprop. Concerning warbirds and the big old props, I just have to stand by despite the good quality.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

DeeJay wrote:
mike10 wrote: Who makes study level GA planes besides A2A??

Some of us became A2A fans Because of the GA planes. I have zero interest in WW2 planes and 50s airliners but I kept my opinion to myself and waited for the next GA release. Maybe the other plane they are working on is more to your liking and I will be then waiting for the next one.
Same for me: I gave the warbirds a try with the T6, but I hardly fly it as it never grew on me. I won't buy any new warbirds, not because they wouldn't be made well - but just because I'm not interested in the real thing at all. Same for the 1950s airliners - I'm just too young for them ;-)

It's all a matter of personal taste I believe. I'm absolutely happy with the V35 in development. I always found this is a very attractive aircraft (while Carenado's never really impressed me because it flew like all the other ones). I'm still hoping for some more of this kind, maybe a C185, 195, a twin or even better, a C208 Turboprop. Concerning warbirds and the big old props, I just have to stand by despite the good quality.
I know exactly what you mean but from the other perspective. I''ll probably pass on the Bo.
Like I posted on a different forum a while ago.

"Yes, we are all different"

Steve.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

I've been thinking about this general aircraft thing with A2A. Sure, I really want an A2A B-25 MItchell. I confess to having bent the rules by somehow getting my FSX-native P-40 to work in P3Dv4. There will be a shockwave as I whip out the plastic to buy the Civilian Mustang when A2A finally gets it running in P3Dv4. However...

Why do I fly around in Flight Sim? Why have I bought a fancy Jetline computer, Thrustmaster controls, and all that other stuff? I have all this gear so I can "immerse" myself in a virtual flying experience that is similar to what I might be experiencing today if I had not quit my flight lessons back in the '60s after 13.5 hours, because I came to believe that I'd never have enough bucks to buy a real airplane. I kept working at Half Moon Bay Airport, gassing and washing airplanes on weekends, but used the money to rebuild my 1950 Harley Davidson Panhead, which I still have and ride around occasionally (most of my "serious" riding is done on a 160-hp BMW S1000XR).

What would I be doing if I had hung in, and had somehow accumulated the bux to pursue a life in aviation? Worst-case scenario is I'd be occasionally renting a Cessna 172 out of Harvey Field, maybe flying to Darrington, or taking the wife to High Tea in Victoria, BC. Or maybe I'd be able to afford my own airplane! It would have to be something classier than a 172! Just like I'll never own a Ford F-150 with an Eco-boost engine (my 2001 has the 5.4L V-8), I will never own a Cessna 172. Maybe a Comanche, or a Cessna 210. Or maybe even that Porsche of the skies, a V-tail Bonanza! I'd have to be able to somehow write off the costs as a business expense, like that guy on YouTube with the Cessna 310.

So, right now, I can watch YouTube videos on real world flight ops and then hop into my Comanche or my T-6 and get a feel for what they are talking about in my own A2A aircraft. That, and being able to ride my XR on roads like the West Snoqualmie Valley and Hwy 206 between Wasco and Condon, Oregon, keep me sane.

Life would be perfect if DC-3 Airways would lighten up a bit and let me record flight hours in my A2A Connie...

Seeya
ATB

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Very well said!

rhenson529
Senior Airman

Post by rhenson529 »

I have purchased competitors planes and they usually just sit in my hanger. I bought the V-35 Bonanza from another competitor with the anticipation of being excited to fly it and learning about it. However after 2-3 flights, I haven't touched it since. The reason is I've been spoiled with accu-sim. I give lots of credit to the A2A team for their diversity and developing quality simulation planes. I can appreciate them not spitting out planes just to get the next one out. Because of A2A's diversity, I have purchased war planes and commercial planes that I never dreamed of trying. Due to the immersion you feel with an accu-sim plane, I find myself carefully planning and calculating each maneuver. After each flight, I do a proper shut down of the plane and put it away as I would in real life. The reason is the next time I fly, I know there is consequences if I miss something from the previous flight.

To me, this is not just another GA plane, but a new experience. I look forward to the launch and continue to support all their releases.
Ron
A2A Planes: Cub, 172, 182, Cherokee, Comanche, Bonanza,T6, 377, Spitfire, and P51
Hardware: i7 (5.0 ghz) 32 GB 3000Ghz; RTX 2080ti; 1TB PCIe M.2; 1TB PCIe M.2

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”