The secret airplane in development

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: The secret airplane in development

Post by AKar »

Not sure if this timer in that portion of the video has any significance, such as approximate time after committing to takeoff, but if it does it well matches the U-2 climb performance. :mrgreen:

-Esa

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

AKar wrote:Not sure if this timer in that portion of the video has any significance, such as approximate time after committing to takeoff, but if it does it well matches the U-2 climb performance. :mrgreen:

-Esa
I had exactly the same thought. Especially after I heard 18.000ft and triming for 90kts! What else would go that slow that high? If that was from a U2 Scott is really getting to fly a very special plane!

Exciting times.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Indeed. Just playing around with very sparse data here, and artificially adding the 'jet' label on it (if you took it off, the results would be much less interesting!). Even if not believing in results, isn't it fun to play with ideas now and then? :mrgreen: I mean, where do you see charts like this except in U-2? And how cool would that be!

Time to climb (and more):

Stall speed:

-Esa
Last edited by AKar on 08 Apr 2018, 13:18, edited 1 time in total.

justindw199
Airman

Post by justindw199 »

Let's be real here, what is the likelihood that we would get an A2A U-2? It flies high, that's about all it would do from a simulation standpoint. Not a lot of re-useability. Also keep in mind, the B-25 had oxygen masks and could all the way to 24000 feet. It also landed at around 93mph (80kts). This "new type of accusim" could refer to bringing multi-engine aircraft to the market. With high performance multi's, they fly differently at the high altitudes they are capable of due to the much thinner air. This could be research into a more dynamic flight model that reflects aircraft handling and performance with altitude.

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

CAPFlyer wrote:Just a disclaimer - Scott hasn't told me anything about the trip, so I'm guessing as much as everyone else.

I'm going to say P-51C. Fits with the throat/inbuilt mask mic, 18K @ 90 knots, and him being in Austin at the same time as the Collings Foundation. :)
Betty Jane was replaced on the tour by the TF-51D once it was completed. The C was supposed to be going in for deep maintenance, I can't find anything quickly but it may be at American Aero.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

justindw199 wrote:Let's be real here, what is the likelihood that we would get an A2A U-2? It flies high, that's about all it would do from a simulation standpoint. Not a lot of re-useability. Also keep in mind, the B-25 had oxygen masks and could all the way to 24000 feet. It also landed at around 93mph (80kts). This "new type of accusim" could refer to bringing multi-engine aircraft to the market. With high performance multi's, they fly differently at the high altitudes they are capable of due to the much thinner air. This could be research into a more dynamic flight model that reflects aircraft handling and performance with altitude.
Well, as basically nothing is known about the mystery project (except that it was an unexpected opportunity, and maybe released via different channels than regular A2A ones), the game is open to shoot up one's wildest ideas! :D I'm sure it gets narrowed down rather promtly should any real hints surface.

-Esa

Buffy Foster

Post by Buffy Foster »

pjc747
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pjc747 »

AKar wrote:
Medtner wrote:If not a jet-trainer, what else could be trimmed for 90 knots at 18k, with an instructor, in masks, that is new Accusim-tech, that is so secret?
I'd figure any non-pressurized turbo, or perhaps a turboprop trainer, however, these would not justify for all the drama around unexpected opportunities and mystery projects, I'd think. And this talk of different release channel... go figure! :)

Can't quickly think of anything obvious - outside that U-2 that is! :mrgreen:

-Esa
You wear pressure suits in a U-2, you'd never get the kind of oxygen mask sound they produced.

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

Boultbee Spitfire?

EDIT: Nope. Permit restricted to 10,000 feet.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

batt
Senior Airman

Post by batt »

Cessna T-37 stalls at 75 kts according to an article I just read. http://www.airbum.com/pireps/PirepCessnaT-37.3.html

Are there any airworthy T-37's in Texas? :roll:
Image Image Image
ImageImage

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

batt wrote:Cessna T-37 stalls at 75 kts according to an article I just read. http://www.airbum.com/pireps/PirepCessnaT-37.3.html

Are there any airworthy T-37's in Texas? :roll:
There's an A-37 at McKinney (but that's north of Dallas). I do know that the Super Pinto was missing for a few days from Addison recently, so maybe that was it if it was a jet? :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temco_TT_Pinto

As for the P-51 - You're right, I forgot that it was Toulouse Nuts flying the tour. Oh well, was worth a shot. :)

batt
Senior Airman

Post by batt »

I think I could get into flying an A-37, if such was the case. :D
Image Image Image
ImageImage

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

I've seen an A-37 flying at Temora in New South Wales. It put on a great show, so if it is one of these, I'll be buying when eventually released.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

It could very well be a single seater and not necessarily a trainer. The CFI 'voice' might simply be part of this new accusim package in that virtual Dudley is helping you master whatever high performance beast that is to come out next.

Altho 90kts at FL180 doesn't seem like a common flight profile for a T-33, unless the CFI is suggesting a slow flight maneuver or entry into a spin. If A2A is doing a contractual project, I could see them doing some sort of turboprop trainer ala PC-21, Texan II, T-34, or Tucano or whatever for a training agency.

FL180 @ 90KIAS also sounds like a flight profile for a T182T 8)

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Buffy Foster wrote:Image
Seriously. There is only one. Mystic Meg, for the truth!

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”