The secret airplane in development

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Re: The secret airplane in development

Post by Medtner »

Jacques wrote:I'm still wondering how, in this discussion, a stall speed close to 90 kts became an issue? I don't recall anything in the video mentioning a stall speed! Was this mentioned by A2A in another post somewhere or is this a simple case of speculation running away from the facts?

My own speculation...we're getting an O2 system for light aircraft!

Regardless, it is great fun trying to suss out what exactly is going on in that blacked out portion of the video...so much drama in such a small amount of time! :D
Stall was never mentioned. But 90kts is quite slow for an airplane that can reach the flight levels. It’s more likely an exercise in slow flight/stalls than a cruise setting.

I’m just thinking that any aircraft worth its salt that can reach FL would cruise faster.
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Okay, thanks, Erik. I lost the plot somewhere along the way so it all makes sense now!

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

Jacques I agree with you about the oxygen, and here is the explanation of the breathing noise and mask.I think it is oxygen being used in the bonanza at near ceiling height through a radio mask as shown.

https://www.preciseflight.com/general-a ... model/a36/

Cheers Chris
Last edited by speedy70 on 10 Apr 2018, 13:13, edited 1 time in total.

thunderstreak
Staff Sergeant

Post by thunderstreak »

My two cents.
The Beechcraft T-6 Texan II is more than capable of 18000' and slowing to 90 kts.
A2A has been developing suitable sim aircraft for real world civilian flight training.
It makes sense to me that they would attempt to do the same for the military market.
The T-6 II is in use all over the world for primary military flight training.
Don't forget, Lockheed Martin didn't make P3D for our entertainment, it's main use is military flight training.

PS. T-33A stall speed is 117 KIAS clean and 104 KIAS in landing configuration! Rules that one out!!!
FSX B377 L049 Spit P40 P47 P51x2 T-6 Cub WOPII P-40 Corsair Anson HE-219 Accu-Feel AL&S
P3Dv5 L049 T-6 172 182 PA-24 PA-28 Spit P-51x2 P-40 Bonanza B-17 Accu-Feel

[email protected], ASUS Z170-P 32GB DDR4 2133 RTX 2070 8GB Win10Pro P3Dv5.1 HF1

justindw199
Airman

Post by justindw199 »

A T-6B might not be a bad guess. A2A previously made a T-6B for MadCatz's Combat Pilot. At Oshkosh 2016, they were showing off some of the former combat pilot assets that they were in the process of rebranding. They also made a T-45, T-38, and I believe they were in the process of making an F-18C. As of 2016 they were actively working on bringing those back to the market. Also, if Scott was in Texas, there are T-6Bs based at Randolf Air Force Base in San Antonio. Considering the model is made for the T-6B, I think we have it nailed down. Plus turboprops fit better in A2As lineup anyways.
Last edited by justindw199 on 10 Apr 2018, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.

justindw199
Airman

Post by justindw199 »

Photos from Combat Pilot, all A2A devloped aircraft.

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Could be a jet but if so I’m thinking an early jet. The main reason the f4 and f104 were put on hold was due to the complexity of the engines if memory recalls. A turbo powered plane could also reach that altitude but Scott said once v35 comes out they are moving on. I’m thinking It’s a warbird.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

Gypsy Baron wrote:U2 pilots do not use oxygen masks. They are in full pressure suits ala the astronauts. So you can eliminate that as a 'candidate'.

Paul
They use the pressure suit when on actual high-altitude missions. However, on lower altitude training flights and while completing their required quota of practice landings, they wear the normal flying gear, including oxygen masks. I worked at RAF Alconbury in the 1990s - early in the mornings, before the wind had risen, I'd watch two or three U2-R / TR-1s in the circuit doing touch and goes, one after the other, with their chase cars following them down the runway.

I don't imagine for one minute that Scott was in a U2-R, but if he was - and only taken up only to a 'mere' 18,000 ft - then normal flying gear would probably have been used.

SeattleSleeper
Airman First Class

Post by SeattleSleeper »

If I were A2A and creating a “new” Accu-Sim engine, what would be my motivation?
A. None reciprocating engine A/C model.
B. A whole new approach to implementing Accu-Sim such as making the Accu-Sim engine an integral part of the simulator, which from a programmers point of view is the proper place for it (provided the sim is 64 bit).

That way, ALL A/C created for said simulator could be Accu-Sim, or not. Then you may ask,

Q: Wouldn’t that cannibalize A2A’s revenue stream?
A: Not if the NRE was big AND, a licenses fee from all developers using the new integrated Accu-Sim engine were paid. This would actually vastly increase the TAM for the Accu-Sim engine. A per plane license could add up to some substantial dough. Also, the old adage "Garbage in Garbage out" would be applicable. The A/C developers then compete on how good their flight modeling is. We know A2A are top notch at extracting the parameters from the real A/C, so they would already have a leg up on that basis alone.

If I (lot of ifs here) were a simulator developer, I would want an Accu-Sim engine integral to the simulator. It would make my sim MUCH more attractive.

Just my 2 cents. I’m sure I’ll be thrilled with whatever A2A put out. Just hoping it’s a war bird. :D

“If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone, somewhere is making a penny.” - Steven Wright

Jetguy06
Airman First Class

Post by Jetguy06 »

Just my two cents... I think the idea of the project being a U-2 is, no offense to anyone, preposterous. With the amount of secrecy surrounding the aircraft and the fact that it flies much, MUCH higher than 18,000 feet, and has no reason to level off there, means that it has to be something else.

I've been hoping for a T-33 myself, but I think there's something else to consider. They're levelling off at 18,000 feet, which is the start of Class A airspace, where ONLY aircraft on IFR flight plans can fly. If they were practicing slow flight, stalls, etc., why not do it at 17,500, 17,000, etc., where they could still be VFR? I think the 18,000 feet clue simply means they're levelling off to cruise, and 90 knots is their cruise speed at that altitude. Again, why break into Class A airspace to practice maneuvers when you're going to descend back into VFR airspace in a minute anyway? You've got thousands of feet of VFR airspace below you to practice maneuvering.

It pains me to think this is not a T-33 yet, but to me, all the indications are wrong, assuming the T-33 doesn't cruise at 90 knots at 18,000 feet.

Again, just my two cents.
"The ultimate responsibility of the pilot is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions of earthbound ancestors who could only stare skyward... and wish." -Unknown

caleb1
Senior Airman

Post by caleb1 »

justindw199 wrote:A T-6B might not be a bad guess. A2A previously made a T-6B for MadCatz's Combat Pilot. At Oshkosh 2016, they were showing off some of the former combat pilot assets that they were in the process of rebranding. They also made a T-45, T-38, and I believe they were in the process of making an F-18C. As of 2016 they were actively working on bringing those back to the market. Also, if Scott was in Texas, there are T-6Bs based at Randolf Air Force Base in San Antonio. Considering the model is made for the T-6B, I think we have it nailed down. Plus turboprops fit better in A2As lineup anyways.
Would A2A be making another T6 if they already have one? There is a chance but I am not sure...
Caleb Byers

A2A Hanger: C182, C172, PA-28, PA-24, J3

PC: Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.4 GHz to 4.0 GHz, 24GB RAM, GTX 745 with 4GB VRAM, 2TB SSHD, Win 10 Home x64.

Simulators: P3D v3.4, P3D v4.5, FSX:SE

Real Hanger at FD08: 1956 C172, 1964 PA-24 400

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Jetguy06 wrote:Just my two cents... I think the idea of the project being a U-2 is, no offense to anyone, preposterous. With the amount of secrecy surrounding the aircraft and the fact that it flies much, MUCH higher than 18,000 feet, and has no reason to level off there, means that it has to be something else.

I've been hoping for a T-33 myself, but I think there's something else to consider. They're levelling off at 18,000 feet, which is the start of Class A airspace, where ONLY aircraft on IFR flight plans can fly. If they were practicing slow flight, stalls, etc., why not do it at 17,500, 17,000, etc., where they could still be VFR? I think the 18,000 feet clue simply means they're levelling off to cruise, and 90 knots is their cruise speed at that altitude. Again, why break into Class A airspace to practice maneuvers when you're going to descend back into VFR airspace in a minute anyway? You've got thousands of feet of VFR airspace below you to practice maneuvering.

It pains me to think this is not a T-33 yet, but to me, all the indications are wrong, assuming the T-33 doesn't cruise at 90 knots at 18,000 feet.

Again, just my two cents.
The airspace argument is a good one. I felt something was important about that specific number.

But I'm still curious about what kind of plane cruises at 90 at 18k? Any kind of plane able to reach that altitude meaningfully would surely be able to do more than that?
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Medtner wrote: But I'm still curious about what kind of plane cruises at 90 at 18k? Any kind of plane able to reach that altitude meaningfully would surely be able to do more than that?
Hi Erik,

It could be "the Bo" itself, since it has service ceiling of 18,500 ft. (according to wikipedia) :roll:

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

For V-tail Bonanza, 90 knots or thereabouts of indicated seems to be the speed for high flying, and to reach or get close to the absolute ceiling, itself being likely somewhere in between 20000 and 22000 ft. Engine mods certainly do higher.

Edit: What I mean is that in that sense, I wouldn't take that piece of info too much out of the applicable context of GA flying. Unless... you too think that... :mrgreen: (Kidding again!)

-Esa

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

caleb1 wrote:Would A2A be making another T6 if they already have one? There is a chance but I am not sure...
The T6-B is actually a completely different aircraft - a turboprop tandem trainer made by Beechcraft. The designation and nickname ("Texan II") is a tribute to the earlier North American T-6 - since the new one plays the same role.

Might be fun to swap between vintage and modern Texans...
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”